Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Speedplay Zero: Cromoly vs. Stainless
Quote | Reply
Does anyone have any thoughts on how the Speedplay Zero compares in cromoly vs. stainless? The weight difference seems pretty trivial. Is there any other reason to buck up for the stainless? Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Speedplay Zero: Cromoly vs. Stainless [PaavoNurmi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In a word: No.

We sell the cro-mo 6:1 over the stainless largely because I can't quantify to the consumer what the benefit to the stainless truly is. Both use the same configuration of bushings and bearings. According to Speedplay's website the cro-mo is $125 MSRP and the stainless is $195 MSRP. That is a 46% difference in price. There isn;t 46% difference in performance between them.

I say get the cromoly.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: Speedplay Zero: Cromoly vs. Stainless [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
the ti have a lower q than the stainless have a lower q than the chromo...

if that matters to you, it might be worth the added $.

g

greg
www.wattagetraining.com
Last edited by: gregclimbs: Apr 14, 09 15:17
Quote Reply
Re: Speedplay Zero: Cromoly vs. Stainless [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks to both of you for the advice.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
speedplay user for 7 years. First set were cromoly.
currently using 3 pair of stainless Zeros and one pair of Ti Zeros.

I wouldnt mess with the cromoly pedals unless cost is a real issue. The cromoly ones will corrode on after a couple seasons unless you are METICULOUS in cleaning your rig.

And that's basically what you are paying for when you buy the stainless Zero's.

persequetur vestra metas furiose
Quote Reply
Re: Speedplay Zero: Cromoly vs. Stainless [gregclimbs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Ti has a shorter spindle, the cromoly and stainless have identical spindle lengths, I just measured them to confirm that. I have both and havent had any corrosion issues with my cromoly versions, but I do live in the desert.
The stainless versions do weigh 8g less..............

Kevin
Quote Reply
Re: Speedplay Zero: Cromoly vs. Stainless [flying wombat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Chromoly pedals on my rain bike for the last 3 years. At least 5,000 rain miles and the bike is not maintained, except changing the chain and tires.

Reverend Dr. Jay
Lake of the Pines Triathlon fastest bike course record holder - Golden State Super Sprint fastest tri course record holder - Wildflower Long Course slowest run course record holder (4:46:32)

"If you have a body, you are an athlete." -Bill Bowerman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
The Ti has a shorter spindle, the cromoly and stainless have identical spindle lengths, I just..............

Maybe that is the zeros only? As I know from talking to speedplay and their site that the x series are longer:

http://speedplay.com/...fm?fuseaction=home.x

Quote:
Unbeatable cornering clearance: X/1 - 39 degrees; X/2 - 37 degrees; X/5 - 35 degrees.

dunno...

g

greg
www.wattagetraining.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
The Ti has a shorter spindle, the cromoly and stainless have identical spindle lengths, I just measured them to confirm that. I have both and havent had any corrosion issues with my cromoly versions, but I do live in the desert.
The stainless versions do weigh 8g less..............

Kevin
You can get the stainless short axle. I know there is an axle "upgrade" kit, but I think if you work with your LBS, you can get the short-axle built in for the same price. That's what I have for my "training" pair, so that the q-factor is the same between them and my race (ti) ones.

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just made this exact same decision. The $60 price difference was a lot to me, but I bought stainless because:
1) I like the look of the machined spindles;
2) The stainless material Speedplay uses (17-4) is top notch;
3) I was worried about rust long term;
4) Cromo made in Taiwan, stainless version made in the U.S.
Quote Reply
Re: Speedplay Zero: Cromoly vs. Stainless [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The nicest feature of the speedplay for fitters is they make a variety of axle lengths in the stainless versions of the zero and X-series. There is actually a kit of different axle lengths you buy from them.
Good when you have riders who need different stance widths to maintain alignment.

Kevin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've used both and currently ride stainless. The left cromoly pedal failed after about 2 years of use, but I don't think that had anything to do with the spindle material. I still have the cromoly pedals in my garage workbench and when I saw the posts about corrosion I went to look. Sure enough, they are showing corrosion (after being exposed to the humid and sometimes salty air here in South Florida).

in the end it's hard to argue with Tom's post about the value proposition unless you care a lot about how they look.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I won't get cromoly again because I sweat a ton and mine are now permanently attached to my bike. When I use tri bike transport for races, I have to pull the entire crank arm off on one side because the darn zero will NOT come off. Three bike shops have tried, and all failed. So my next bike, and pedals, will be the stainless Zeros. (and I'll try to take better care of them too)
Quote Reply