Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Origin of the term "BRICK"
Quote | Reply
I have read the origin of the triathlon brick is "cloudy." That there is a mystery to it.
I have read that BikeRun "ICK" but that sounds a little dorkey I also heard that the origin in connected to Pink Floyd's "Another Brick in the Wall" from the west coast. That you need to do a bike/run to create a fundamental building block of training. That sounds like some gonga was used.
are either of these true, or are there other explanations.
thanks for your insights
dotmanreds
Quote Reply
Re: Origin of the term "BRICK" [dotmanreds] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And I thouhght it was because "after this workout I'm going to shit a brick"!!!

Quote | Reply
I heard once that it was named after former two-time world duathlon champion Dr. Matt Brick (from New Zealand). Or maybe it's how your quads feel when you start running after a hard ride:)

Scott
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
'Cause it feels like that's what's attached to your feet when you start the run.

"A merry heart doeth good like medicine." (Proverbs 17:22)
Quote Reply
Re: Origin of the term "BRICK" [WiScott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It started back in 3000 BC, when the ancient Sumarians hastily crossed the Tiberius and fled to Larak. During that time the scrolls revealed the term 'Bricanuis', which loosely translated means, 'Do I really have to run now? I just swam the Tiberius'.
Last edited by: furiousferret: Apr 7, 09 10:23
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When I told my daughter what my Saturday workout was going to be she repeated Bike, Run, ICK...BRICK

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
Quote Reply
Re: Origin of the term "BRICK" [JReed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
And I thouhght it was because "after this workout I'm going to shit a brick"!!!
Thats what I thought too! So it has nothing to do with that?

Bike Racks Never leave home without one.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think it just evolved from the early weekly hand written training calendars or logs. Something like B/R: 3:00/1:00. The B/R just morphed into BRICK instead of verbally telling someone you had to Bike Run on Sunday your said Brick.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Strangely, in Quebec a lot of people use brick to mean a Swim/Bike/Run workout. Just Bike/Run is a transition workout.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think I read years ago that Mark Sisson and a bunch were out on a ride and he said when he got back he was going to go for a run. When asked why he said he was just putting another brick in the wall. I could be completely wrong on this.
Monty could probablly tell us exactly how it came up. Hell, he was probably there when it was first used.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Because if you do it right, you would rather be hit in the head with a brick than do it again!
That is a quote... but I don't remember where from.

Run, work, run, sleep, repeat until fast, injured or insane.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Triathlon legend tells that Mark Sisson (former Tri-Fed Executive Director & ITU Secretary General) & Scott Zagarino (who has worn many hats in the sport) coined the term. The Pinlk Floyd song was their inspiration. It was not Dr. Matthew Brick, who practices medicine just the down the road from where I live, that the term was derived.

#swimmingmatters
Laugh hard. Run fast. Be kind.
The Doctor (#12)

Quote Reply
Re: Origin of the term "BRICK" [JReed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
the ab muscles during a workout seem to compress the shit pretty well.
Quote Reply