Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Sprint with a pool swim - what to wear?
Quote | Reply
I've been racing for 12 years, but this year I'll do my first ever sprint with a pool swim. I'm used to wearing a wetsuit and just wearing a tri jersey (Desoto or TYR) + sports bra underneath. However realized that all my tri tops have pockets, which seems like that would be bad for a pool swim.

Any suggestions on what to wear for a pool swim sprint? I need plenty of support on top & am not really comfortable racing the entire thing in a bathing suit - eek! Shorts are going to be a must.

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Sprint with a pool swim - what to wear? [Elsa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I often just wear a sports bra style top and tri shorts for it. Most with a pool swim have a bit of a jog to the pool from the transition, so you might be able to just wear a tri top and pull it off on the way or something.

---
Miles of Life --- Powered by MarkyV
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Go for a sports bra under a 1 pc bathing suit and tri shorts over top. It's quite comfy. I personally find that just the sports bra alone will scoop a lot at the neckline with each push off the wall, whereas the higher neck of a bathing suit will remove that problem.

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I also wear a wetsuit w/tri jersey & sports bra underneath for lake swims. I did a pool sprint the other year with a full coverage desoto tri top (built in bra/pockets) & tri shorts. Found that the tri top added a lot of drag, and built-in bras definitely lack support. Will be doing the same sprint again this summer, and am planning to wear a swim suit w/tri shorts & sports bra underneath for extra support. Will still have more drag than a swim suit alone, but prefer the bra support & upper thigh coverage. If I didn't wear tri shorts for the swim, any gains in swim time would be erased trying to get shorts on in transition.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did one of those, also after over a decade in the sport. it was a fun mix. There will be lots of first timers there.

I did it in my swim suit, I chose an extra tight one that gave me support. It just felt normal to have a swim suit on by a pool. If I did not have a nice new suit to wear I probably would have thrown on a sports bra under an older one. You could do the whole race in just a swim suit, as I am sure many people will. Or you could clip on a "transition girl" type of skirt..if you must have shorts you'd probably lose time pulling them over a wet body.

Also, prepare for some major clusters at the wall in this type of event. I actually swam slower in the event than I normally would in practice, because of the wall crowding. So drag off the wall was kind of a non issue in my race. There was plenty of time to make it up though. Enjoy, this kind of super short sprint can be painful but lots of fun. :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey There. I am a primarily swimmer and did notice the feeling of drag when I did a sprint pool swim wearing the 2 piece triathlon outfit. I've done several and here's my best advice: first: a supportive jog bra, very important. next: a one-piece swim suit, as the other poster pointed out - with a high neck line. Last: the trusty bike shorts. This seems to work best for me. Good Luck!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do what I did at my first-ever pool swim triathlon last April: sew shut the pockets on your tri-top. I knew I needed to wear a top (it was rather cold that day), and my race top was the only thing I have that is tight enough to not kill my swim. Be sure to try out your outfit in the pool beforehand to ensure that it won't be a drag on race day.

http://www.lin-mark.com/resrwtri08.txt

I'm doing the race again in three weeks, and my pockets are still sewn shut.

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Re: Sprint with a pool swim - what to wear? [Just Old] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am very much a newcomer to the sport and am training for my first Tri - a sprint - in late June. What is a "transition" skirt?
Quote Reply