Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Bike for my wife, need some feedback
Quote | Reply
The biref history on this question is this... I am new to biking and tri, my wife not yet started but interested in at least taking the biking plunge. We borrowed a bike, she has enjoyed riding but really needs to get a bike that fits.
My wife is 4' 11" and is relatively "short waist'd" at least that is what the fitting process has revealed. My LBS tried to sell me a trek madone and I have been the geometry specs on quite a few "big box" companies and I have not found a bike that fits per measurements on Seat Tube, Top Tube (this relationship has been the most difficult to find) Stand Over and Reach.
The only production bike I have found that meets the specs is the Terry Isis Pro/Sport. I found a company in Seattle WA Rodriguez who will make a custom from with campy components for the same money as the production Terry with Shimano.
Both bikes are steel (both light 17/18lbs approx) both have geometry specs that fit her and they are in the same price range.
As I see it the advantage to the Terry is that I have found info on them in review and talked with people who have one and like them. Disadvantage, there are slight compromises to be made on the production bike because the geometry is not perfect. Rodriguez bike disadvantages 1) they are in WA we are in VA 2) yeah they are in WA and I don't much about the company. Advantages... it will absolutely fit her!
So... I am up in the air as to which bike we should buy. Any feedback? opinions? Critics of either company?

Thanks for reading and for any feedback!
Mark
Quote Reply
Re: Bike for my wife, need some feedback [mrmcmasty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm in WA and Rodriguez has a great reputation out here. It is kind of a "dream" bike for some people because it is custom.

Terry has a great reputation. Their focus is totally on women's cycling. They have an entire line of products for women including clothing and saddles. They also do cycling tours.

So, Terry is nationwide and Rodriquez is local. Terry has a larger company behind it and can likely turn around a new frame pretty quickly if necessary.

Honestly, a custom bike might be overkill at this point. If she is just getting into cycling, don't go too far and get her something you'd want. She doesn't need a bike she can race, she needs a bike she can ride and have fun on.

Based on that, I'd go with the Terry.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Most people don't need custom, but if she honestly does have unusual body proportions, she'll be glad she does. My wife has unusual long legs/short torso, even for a woman. Her next road bike will be custom.
Quote Reply
Re: Bike for my wife, need some feedback [JenHS] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jen,

Thanks for the feedback. I am curious why you think it would be overkill to go with the custom? Price wise the Rodriguez is actually cheaper by a couple hundred, but when you factor in shipping, they are very very close. Rodriguez makes a stock frame that is almost identical to the Terry, but after spending an hour or so on the phone with the Rodriguez shop they thought it better to go custom because of her measurements (for no additional money)

There is a bike shop local that recommended Gunner custom, but after he looked into it for me he said if we were going to buy Gunner we should just go with the Terry because both frames are waterford frames.

The real trouble we are having is the seat tube to top tube ratio for example: the cannon dale 47cm seat tube bike has a top tube of 50.1. The 47cm tube is the absolute tallest she can ride and realistically she should ride a 44.5 -46cm seat tube with a 47-49cm top tube.

I did not realize that the Rodriguez had such a good reputation, I found through a forum like this one and they have custom built frame with campagnolo group sets for 1599 and 2199 and on up... I was impressed with the affordability.

I am very new to cycling myself. My first bike (current and only bike) was bought used a month before my first triathlon and is nearly 4cm too tall and about the same amount too long. It caused me loads of problems and pain when I was first riding (and still does really) but I am not willing to pay top dollar for a great bike just yet. I really want my wife to get a bike first and because of my own experience I am more aware of how important good fit really is.

Ok enough rambling out of me... anyone else have any other thoughts on the bikes listed? or advice on other bikes to consider?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mostly because you don't even know if she will enjoy it. Going custom adds a lot of pressure to ride even if she doesn't want to.

Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jen, fair enough on the custom question.

I am hoping that her response to borrowed bikes will be enhanced by having a bike that was her own. Several women we met at triathlons and cycling groups in the area offered up their bikes on loan to see if she would enjoy riding, unfortunately the shortest of them is 5'2" and has quite a bit longer arms than my wife... so after 10/15 miles she has some umm... girl part soreness. We borrowed a giant that almost did the trick but still hurt her elbows and knees... But I think she liked riding... I think she did!?! She pushed for us to ride several times and set her own plans to go as well... I got serious about buying her a bike when she set up the trainer and rode two rainy mornings in a row!!! but now those bikes have now gone home to be with their owners and we are looking options for her...

So perhaps I am just trying to talk myself into her wanting to ride... but I think it would be great if she did! and Jen, I must admit, I do want to ride the Rodriguez S3...

Thanks again for the feedback!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ha, yeah, be careful you aren't pushing your dream bike on her. We see that fairly often over here. Understand what she really wants it for before spending $2500 on the bike that might end up alone in the garage.

Jen

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Understand what she really wants it for before spending $2500 on the bike that might end up alone in the garage.

so... how do I do that?!?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm not familiar with Rodriguez myself, but I do quite like their ethos (at least what's espoused on their website). They appear to have a solid reputation and dabble in "the right things" to justify closer investigation. If the Rod is the same price as the Terry, I'd say go with the Rod. Custom fit, better components and you'd be supporting a local small business.

Having said that, I was not aware that Terry frames are made by Waterford - so if that's true as well, you certainly won't go wrong with the Terry. But I'd still take a long hard look at the Rod.

<If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough>
Get Fitter!
Proud member of the Smartasscrew, MONSTER CLUB
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Um, talk to her? Ask her why she likes to ride. Does she find the idea of racing interesting or is she thinking of doing this purely for recreation and fitness. Totally different goals and totally different budgets.

Jen

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jen, sorry I was more kidding. My wife the former D1 athlete, the woman play scrabble/trivial pursuit to WIN is the same woman who I learned very early that I must for the sake of the marriage never be on a team that opposes her (or fighting will ensue should my team win) She will say that she wants to ride for fun, fitness etc... but when we went on our first casual ride along the river... who drops the bike into the lowest gear possible and takes off only to let up 5 miles later when she realizes... "oh yes the greenway trail runs out and I must now turn around" She may not compete for the podium... but she will race...

y biggest concern is that if we buy her a bike that does not fit and causes her discomfort (other than burning legs and lungs) that she will get turned off, or if I buy her an entry level bike then next year/Christmas I will be buying her another bike. In another life with a guy before me she was very much into mountain biking (still has that bike)

So really though... campagnolo parts vs shimano? custom vs stock (money being the same)? I have scoured bike websites and looked through numerous geometry charts... what I know I have read, but I lack experience (I've been riding 8 months) So to any of the women out there who are a) short (under 5ft) b) short torso, with a short reach, or anyone who has a lot of experience with cycling... I am looking for opinions on these two bikes as they are best options I have found (that will fit her and not cost over 5K on a custom set up), if there are other options I am missing I open to them as well.

Another advantage I found out today after talking with Terry is that they will send the bike to the LBS of my choosing and pay for it to be put together and the fitting tweaked.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sounds like you can't go wrong with either and your wife will ride the hell out of it, and soon be dropping your sorry ass.

If that's the case show her pictures of both and ask which one speaks to her more.

Get Fitter!
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Re: Bike for my wife, need some feedback [Khai] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Khai,

I like the way you think :)

She likes the way the rodriguez looks... because it's black, but she also thinks the Terry looks good. She did ask that I relay to you that my ass is not sorry, but that she has every intention of dropping me!

Looks like the Terry is leading the choice... the LBS guy I met today is going to spec out a Gunner with similar groupos as the Terry and we'll see how the price compares. She like that idea because the Gunner is basically a Terry (frame made by the same company) but she can get it in black...

Thanks again!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One other thing to add - especially if you go Gunnar (as Terry will very likely do this by default and so should Rod - but ask anyway regardless of which manufacturer you end up choosing) is to check out which STI levers come spec'ed on the bike, and to switch them for the "small hands" versions if they aren't automatically part of the build. Your wife will appreciate this detail greatly as it will make shifting and braking (and especially braking hard) a lot easier. Shimano makes "small hands" versions of their STI levers while Campy Ergopower is by default somewhat smaller and already pretty good for people with small hands (the 11spd stuff is bigger, but you won't likely be going there anyway).

Also, if you plan on traveling with the bikes much, it might be a good idea to look into adding S&S couplers as well (Gunnar/Rod use them, not sure about Terry). As you may have noted on the main forum, the price of flying with a bike is getting absolutely crazy so the additional cost of S&S couplers & accessories will pay itself off in very few trips.

Get Fitter!
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
She sounds like me!! I'm 4" 11.5 and have very long legs considering my height. At under 5' you can't really have long anything.

I ride a cannondale that has a 44cm seat tube and 49.5cm top tube. You can get one pretty cheap and see if she likes that before spending the $ on custom.

Where can I find a boy who'll buy me a custom bike!!! ;)
Quote Reply
Re: Bike for my wife, need some feedback [vmandel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Khai, the Rod and Terry both have brake lavers with smaller hands in mind. The gunner would just be a the frame and the LBS will build the rest out based on what she wants.

Vmandel - which cannondale are you riding? When i look on the site I dont see any bikes with that geometry, so which model are you on?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm on an Optimo Feminie it's on 650c wheels. I don't think they make it anymore but I've seen some for sale at shops local to me. I'm in So Cal.

http://www.cannondale.com/...ad/model-7RWR2D.html I have the blue model.

I have barely any clearance to the top tube when standing but this bike is awesome. It came with reach adjusted shifters. I switched out the crank for a compact, the bike came with a triple. I bought non reach adjusted shifters and I did notice a small difference. I could shim the ones I have or get a different stem. I really want new handle bars as it is, so I'm shopping for some with less reach to fix that problem.

I just looked at the new model geometry in a 44 and it looks like they added a cm to the top tube but the stand over height is less? I can't tell if it's still on 650 wheels or not?

My next bike will be custom but I wasn't ready to go that route when I got this bike. I will probably base the custom off the measurements from this bike. I've also had a Specialized 44cm on 700c (was ok) and I have a QR Dulce in XS.

I love that Cannondale more than anything. and I mean anything. I hope you can find one for her to at least check out, it's about 17.5 pounds with pedals and cages, so not super light considering the size. I paid 1600 for it-full Ultegra. I don't know if it thats more or less than the Terry but certainly cheaper than custom.
Last edited by: vmandel: Mar 26, 09 18:58
Quote Reply
Re: Bike for my wife, need some feedback [vmandel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Looks like most of the Cannondale bikes are on 700's in that size, I am not 100% convinced that it is huge issue as I have had as many people say go with 650's as have said go with 700's... I understand the whole toe overlap things, but I am not certain the matter is certain either way.

Vman, you are correct about your bike, no longer in production but I will look around to see if any are out there from people trading up. The 1600 you paid is about 700 less than the customs we are looking at. They weigh betweeen 17 and 18lbs, but again weight is a debatable issue as well it seems and I am not convinced of the absolute importance of being the lightes.

Thanks again for your feedback! Good luck racing!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Vman - any thoughts on this bike?

http://boston.craigslist.org/sob/bik/1091326985.html
Last edited by: mrmcmasty: Mar 27, 09 10:51
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That looks like the same frame as my bike, maybe a year prior but it looks identical. The groupset/wheels aren't as nice but the price is a lot less.

Have her test ride and let us know how she likes it! I love to hear happy bike stories from hard to fit people :)
Last edited by: vmandel: Mar 27, 09 14:51
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
On the continuum between stock bikes and full-custom, you can go part-custom: Basically, get a stock bike (with geometry *close* to her ideal) but have her work with a fitter who can swap out some parts.

I have the same issue (very long femur [thigh] bone and short torso). I ended up with a stock bike with some great modifications. First of all, my fitter put on the shortest possible stem. This decreased the reach required of my short arms/torso. Second, there is a narrow handlebar (for my narrower shoulders), with less deep reach to get down into the drops; and the brake levers and shifters are for small hands. That made a *world* of difference for me.

The latter (narrow handlebar with small-hand shifters/levers) is common on WSD (women's specific design) bikes. Has she tried some WSD bikes besides the Trek? What about Orbea, Specialized, ...Ironically, the geometry on the WSD bikes can be identical or nearly identical to the non-women's versions; but having the nice women's handlebars/levers etc. already on the bike means you don't have to special-order that stuff.

good luck...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As someone who exclusively rides only bikes with 650 wheels, I can tell you the real issue is not the "toe overlap deal." Its the increased control you have over the bike. As a small person, I rode a hand me down bike with 700 wheels for the first 4 years I was racing. After switching to 650s, there is absolutely no way I would go back to 700s and reliquish the increased control I have gained over my bike.

Just my 0.02.
Quote Reply
Re: Bike for my wife, need some feedback [gwaveswims] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks to everyone for the feedback.

VMan thanks for the reccomendation on the Cannondale, I hadn't considered searching around for geometries on older versions of bikes. I did find it odd that cannondale used to make a geometry that is more friendly to shorter riders but has gone away from it some. All the same, we are buying a Cannondale Optimo that is basically new, or at least ridden very very lightly.

My wife is pretty pumped and I am very excited for her.

Thanks again everyone!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
we are buying a Cannondale Optimo that is basically new, or at least ridden very very lightly.

My wife is pretty pumped and I am very excited for her.

Perfect - now just try to hang on! :D

Get Fitter!
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am so happy for your wife! She's going to love that bike : ) I am so sad that they stopped making the Optimio not enough short people I guess . Also less and less people want 650 wheels. I plan on riding mine for years.

To make matters worse I rented a 49cm Fuji track bike today on 700c wheels it was a little big but it worked.....nothing that couldn't be fixed it I bought one.

You know just in case your wife wants to ride track, let her know she knows she has options ;)
Last edited by: vmandel: Mar 28, 09 23:22
Quote Reply