Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Career Fair advice needed please
Quote | Reply
I just remembered there is a career fair tomorrow that I need to get myself to. I haven't been to one in probably 12 years. I need some advice on how to handle myself in front of the recruiters since I'll probably have 1 minute or less to make a good first impression. Once I get some extended time with them I get a job 95% of the time but they are going to be swamped with people so first impression is critical.

1. What sort of info should I talk about in a 1 minute or less self pitch. The "me" elevator pitch.
2. Resumes. I'm assuming I need printed resumes. Do these need to be a single page? Can I do front and back? That will be tough to compress everything. It would mean a total reorganization which is fine but if I do need to do a reorganization, any advice on how many jobs backwards I need to list?
3. I've got clothing covered.
4. Basically, how do I stand out from the crowd of people who will have a similar background as me?

Thanks!

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Re: Career Fair advice needed please [JenHS] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A one page resume is important and make sure it is easy to read. I am learning that getting the most information out in the shortest time span is of great importance. By the time it's your turn the interviewer is exhausted and not really paying close attention so not wasting the interviewers time is important.

customerjon @gmail.com is where information happens.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
remember to smile!

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So how did the career fair go? Any good leads?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would say to continually work and fine tune your elevator speech. How you speak and present yourself for that ~1minute is most important. One of my professors at school pounded the elevator speeches into our heads right before we graduated. Glad he did, it has really paid off.
Quote Reply
Re: Career Fair advice needed please [chrisesposito] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Total waste of time. There were about 150 of us in business attire with our resumes, etc. I had a feeling it wasn't going to go well when only two companies that might have something for me were there. Coke-Cola and Lockheed Martin. Every other company was either a school, a "service" to get you a job or a sales comission type place, such as Mary Kay. Coke was looking for stockers and merchandisers and Lockheed Martin's marketing was all handled out of state. So, I was in and out in 15 minutes. All the other suits were heading out at the same time.

2 hour drive round trip + $10 worth of copies of resumes + $15 parking = bust.

I can't decide whether Careerbuilder did a horrible job recruiting business or businesses just aren't hiring so they didn't bother signing up. Or, they are already swamped with resumes.

Thanks for asking.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The careerbuilder fair in Philly looked to be about the same based on pictures I saw of it.

I'm going to one next week that is suppose to be for Pharma/Biotech jobs and it looks like there will be 10 companies. 1 of which I interviewed with already, 1 is a former employer who I'm still on good terms with but that does not have any jobs that interest me, and 2 others do not appear to have any jobs posted.

But I feel I have to go. Going to introduce a former co-worker of my wife to the recruiter where I used to work - so maybe that will earn me some karma.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Jen,

Career Fairs are not really the venue for someone with your skills and experience. Send me an email if you still have my address, perhaps I can help.

Cervelo R3 and Cannondale Synapse, Argon18 Electron Track Bike
Quote Reply