Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

1/2 IM with a sinus infection ?
Quote | Reply
I'm pretty sure I've got a sinus infection, I'll see the Dr. in a couple hours. I've been training all season (10 months) building up to a 1/2 IM this Sunday which will end my season. Has anyone ever raced with a sinus infection?

In some workouts over the last few days I've been very hit and miss. Sometimes I feel crappy but my performance is pretty good. More often I feel like hell and my performance sucks. When I can't hold decent quality I've backed off and called it a day early trying to get more rest.

If the sinus infection is going to prevent me from performing well, is there something else I can do to make the race a learning experience? I would like to experiment more with pace on the bike, but I'm guessing that the results would be invalid due to my illness throwing everything off. Any ideas?
Quote Reply
Re: 1/2 IM with a sinus infection ? [tom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom,

I'm in about the same boat but my race is on Sat. The last 1/2 I did in July also found me with a mild sinus infection. I don't know what level of congestion you have but for me its been pretty mild. With that in mind I have cut back on my workouts to practically full rest, maintained my hydration and tried to get adequate sleep...

Come race day, I took some "cough and cold nightime formula" the night before and then a dose of daytime formula morning of the race. This cleared me out nicely!

I would say you should go by the old rule of exercising when you are sick - "above the shoulders, O.K.; below the shoulders, probably not a good idea; fever, NO GO!"

Best of Luck and hope you feel better so this whole discussion is moot....

Paul

----------------------------------------------------------------
Sponsored by RUDY PROJECT...check out http://www.e-rudy.com
Was mich nicht umbringt, macht mich stärker.
"What does not destroy me, makes me stronger."
-Friedrich Nietzsche, Götzen-Dämmerung (1899)
Quote Reply
Re: 1/2 IM with a sinus infection ? [Tri-Wog StL] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I raced Wildflower this year with a sinus infection. Made the mistake of taking a decongestant before a 98-100 degree day and ended up in the med tent. I kept mildly trying to train through the sickness for the next month and ended up losing most of my season and ordered by the doctor to quit training for a month. If this is your last race of the year its a bit of a risk but probably doable. Be careful about what meds you take. Don't push if its not tolerable or you can take yourself out for a long time.
Quote Reply