Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

"Mommy, I have a wiping problem"
Quote | Reply
That is the phrase...hysterically screamed at me every single time my 4 year old goes to the bathroom. I am absolutely beside myself and am calling her Peditrician today for an appointment (it's been going on for at least a month now). She tells me that after she goes potty "it still feels wet" despite wiping (and she has gotten VERY rough - almost becoming a safety issue rough - at it now due to her frustration). Sometimes during the day while playing she'll scream "Oh no...not again....MOMMMMYYYYY I have a wiping problem!!!!!!!". I've checked her (all the crevices) when she says she is having ths problem and I don't feel/see anything wet (outside of normalness). Her panties have never been wet, yet she assures me she is wet, wet, wet. I've reached a new orbit of frustration level. She cries when I tell her she has to go to the bathroom (like after sleeping all night) because she is afraid of having "her wiping problem" - which again is becoming a safety issue (she'll go all day holding her bladder if I don't force her to go potty). I know she is feeling something but what, I have no idea. I'm at a total loss. Our house has become hysteria land and I'm about to loose my mind. I feel very helpless and honestly have no idea what I can do.

Quote | Reply
Could it be a mild urinary tract infection? Not enough to trigger a fever or other symptoms but enough to give her the sensation of being wet (which I could see maybe could occur when you've got that constantly needing to go feeling)?
Quote Reply
Re: "Mommy, I have a wiping problem" [Teags] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I thought of that but she was just on a round of antibiotics for a sinus infection and I would have thought that if she did have any kind of UTI that would have helped it to. Right?

Quote | Reply
I think it depends on the antibiotic. Some are fairly specific in what they target.

I have no idea here, but I would wonder if the antiobiotic she was on for the sinus infection could have partially targeted a UTI, but wasn't enough to actually get rid of it? I really don't know though....complete guess on my part.

The only other thing I could think of was stress - I was a bit older - grades 1 through 3 - but every year for the first month to two months of school I would stay up every night well after bed on the toilet because I had to 'pee' - it was bad enough that my brother got me some books that I could read on the toilet, b/c I'd spend hours in there every night. It was totally psychological, and when I started grade 4 at a different school it stopped entirely. Obviously she's a bit young for school, but that's the only other thing I could think of, though it's probably unlikely in your daughter's case as I think I was just a weird kid in that respect :)
Quote Reply
Re: "Mommy, I have a wiping problem" [Teags] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
well I just got off the phone with the Dr. office and we have an appointment for today (thank goodness). I know something is going on and I just pray that they figure it out.

Quote | Reply
Good luck!
Quote Reply
Re: "Mommy, I have a wiping problem" [leslieW] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
UTIs are generally caused by intestinal flora (like E coli) which are mostly gram neg organisms. Most bacteria that enter the sinuses and upper respiratory are gram pos organisms. While there are broad spectrum antibiotics to treat both, anitbiotics prescribed for upper resp and sinus infections are usually gram pos specific, and therefore wouldn't kill bacteria that cause UTIs
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My 5yo did something similar at the same age. I didn't make a big deal of it, simply, gave her a wipe myself, pulled up the undies&pants, gave her a little pat on the butt and told her to go play. Did that each time she pulled this stunt. She's fine now.

Remember: things coming out of their bodies are scary to a toddler. They are just learning to control their bodies and when they feel like they can't control something they usually freak out. Once they freak out they will often repeat the behaviour because they feel like they are exerting control over their bodies ... or over their parents ;-)

Rule out UTI, etc., then treat it as nonchalantly as possible. Hard to do, but try. Let her wet herself if she has to... Just remind her that she is in charge of her body, so it's up to her if she wants to be in charge of her peeing. Also remind her that most pre-schools will not accept kids that can't handle potty on their own... she may be motivated by that (K was).

Good luck,
AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Re: "Mommy, I have a wiping problem" [AndyPants] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just got back from the Dr. They are going to do a culture on her urine "just in case" but at first glance they don't think there is any UTI or anything like that. He did say the area looks a little irritated but nothing that would/should cause the reaction we are getting (all out hysteria). He gave us Triamcinolone cream to put on her to stop the inflamation. He's hoping that the redness he did see is what is causing the sensatoin of wetness and the cream will put an end to it. I'm not 100% comfortable putting steriod cream on my 4 year olds parts though (kind of freaks me out); but will give it a couple of days to see if it helps.

Aside from that I'm truly at a loss. I think the "you are in charge of your body" angle is how we'll have to go if this doesn't work. The problem there is that I'm going to have to stay under foot with her because she'll disappear into the bathroom (when she's said she has a wiping problem) and will go to town trying to get the wetness to go away. God love her....she has my Type A - emotional - traits.

Quote | Reply
I don't have kids, so I'm only guess here: what about putting a little powder on her? That might help alleviate the feeling of wetness.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Maybe use a panty liner for her to give her some reassurance to help her cope with the feeling of being wet. I would try to not make a big deal out of it too. Kids can come up with all kinds of stuff especially the "going to the bathroom" stuff. It could be pyschological and she will outgrow it soon hopefully - for your sanity and hers!

Good luck!

PS - I am the Mom of 2 daughters (16 & 20).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Perhaps give here magic sugar pills? I'm serious, buy her special baby wipes and tell her that when she is done wiping to use one of these wipes to be extra clean and it will remove the sensation.

"your horse is too high" - tigerchik
Quote Reply
Re: "Mommy, I have a wiping problem" [Hid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My mom and I were talking last night and honestly I'm starting to think that it probably is a psychological thing. A month ago my Grandma went into the hospital and then died two weeks ago. I've pretty much been a mess for a month and I don't think that it's a coincidence that my daughter has been having this "issue" for a month now. So far after telling her "the medicine" (the doc gave us) is going to fix her problem she seems to be buying into it (sort of). We are still having 'issues' but haven't had a hysterical for one day now (this is HUGE) and it's easier to distract her after going potty. So, all of your tips and advice has helped so much (thank you). Now, I just have help reassure her that her Mommy is ok, give her lots of love and attention and let this episode run it's course (and wait and see what happens).

Quote | Reply
Glad to hear things are improving... yeah it's amazing how much they pick up on your state of mind/emotional state. Lots of hugs and snuggles help - for you too! ;-)

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply