Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Never ending cold - keep training thru it or give up? r/o
Quote | Reply
I've always gone by the 'above the neck, okay to workout, below the neck, rest' theory. However, I've had a pretty bad cold for 3 weeks now. I've continued training through it, but it's just not getting any better. I haven't had any fever, but tons of congestion, cough, and a constant sore throat due to post-nasal drip. I'm also feeling super tired and worn out.

I'm afraid to stop working out b/c I think this thing is just going to keep dragging on and if I stop until I feel better, it could easy be another 2 weeks. I took yesterday off and am not feeling any better today :(

Just suck it up & keep training at this point? It's definitely not the flu or bronchitis or anything.

*added* Oh, forgot to mention, I've got a half marathon in 5 weeks. I'm light on base after having a baby last year, and have been following a 9 week training plan for the half, so missing workouts right now would mean missing out on the heart of my training plan.
Last edited by: Elsa: Mar 7, 09 10:21
Quote Reply
Re: Never ending cold - keep training thru it or give up? r/o [Elsa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
there will be another half marathon, on the other hand if you end up getting bronchitis and/or other pulmonary issues (like somebody I know who didn't take care of themselves and ended up sick for months) it will take you quite a while longer to recover...
Quote Reply
Re: Never ending cold - keep training thru it or give up? r/o [Elsa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Stop training. This thing has taken down people all over the place. I lost 2 weeks of good training because of it. I can't remember the last time I was that sick. My husband got it right when I was feeling better and he has coughed for 2 weeks. We missed Valentines Day and his birthday to it. Blech.

It will only continue to hang on. Stop, rest and think about missing the half.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree with the others. Three weeks is too long for a cold to be dragging on. You need to stop training, get better and then re-assess your situation from there. First priority, though, is getting better.

How do you know it's not bronchitis or something worse than that? Have you seen a doctor?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rest. Though you don't believe it is bronchitis, have you been checked out? After that period of time and being a fit, active person, it is probably worthwhile to be seen by a doctor. Without wanting to sound alarmist, I came down with a very nasty cough 3 weeks ago and subsequently developed a sinus infection and pneumonia. Went from training 10+hrs/week to zilch. I did stop training as soon as the cough began, thought I felt better after a week and did an easy 90min xc ski. While I don't believe that one activity alone did me in, it was downhill from there and I have not left the couch since. It has taken me until today to accept that my 10k race next week is not going to happen. Though I may be sounding negative, I just wouldn't want someone else to end up in my position!

Continue with the rest until you are checked out.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
See your doctor
Walk rather than train - walking is good for your immune system and won't stress your body too much. (Short walks ;-)

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I got the bad cold for two weeks too. I had the congestion, no energy, developed a cough deal. I haven't worked out in two weeks. I had no energy. Then I had the cough. I tried a couple of very light workouts and the cough kicked up so I stopped. My last run was 15 minutes.
I think you're just going to have to give it some rest. Sorry, it sucks but you have to look long term I guess.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
First - for us to define it as a "pretty bad cold" sends up alarm bells to the rest of the world. We are athletes that don't accept pain (or suffering) as problems. If we says it's bad, it would have a "lesser" human in the hospital, or at the very least through one or two rounds of antibiotics by now. Go to the doc or at least an Urgent care. For peace of mind for the rest of us, if nothing else. Have you thought about the infamous sinus infection? That much cloggage and drainage if it's not in your lungs means something's going on up there....

If you get it checked, find out it's just a cold that's hanging on and take it easy and let it be, then maybe you can salvage the half - from a finishing standpoint. Don't try to rush through the healing and then go all "balls to the wall" and relapse. It may feel better, that doesn't mean it's all gone.

Last - and not to sound alarmist as well (but with the full intent of getting you to go get checked out and get better)...but I've had similar things happen. "Eh, it's not that bad, I can still do the easy run, it's just a wimpy cold hanging on" and find myself with a BLAZING fever and taken out for a couple of months w/in a couple of days. Also just had a friend of family deal with a sinus infection (fit guy, army infantry and athlete) and was told to just relax and sleep. At some point turned into meningitis and he died. I'm not messing around with the stuff that just doesn't go away anymore. Tigerchik can tell you what happens when we don't listen to our bodies...our lungs decide they don't want to play anymore.

Take care of yourself, rest and get better, it's the beginning of the fun part of the year.....don't ruin your spring and summer. I'll quit being the team mom now...

AW
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
after 3 weeks it's not a cold, you have some kind of infection, my guess is sinus.
Training through this gives you an excellent chance at a truly disabling illness.. ask me how I know ;-)
I ended up off running for three months and on a course of immunoglobulin injections which weren't any fun.

Rest, take it to the doctor, get better. Find a different half..
Quote Reply