Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Feeding Babysitters
Quote | Reply
I will make this post tri-related by saying I often have babysitters come over so I can train while my husband is out of town. Now for my question. Typically I just have babysitters come for about 2 hours so I always tell them they can eat whatever they find but I don't worry about providing them meals. My guy is still a baby so the babysitters don't have to worry about making food for him, if anything they might give him a bottle. So this weekend we are having a babysitter come over for a few hours straight and I figure she's going to want to eat a meal. So what's standard operating procedure here? Do you give her money to order a pizza? Do you tell her to help herself to leftovers? Do you assume she can make pasta and sauce or do you buy stuff that goes in the microwave? Do you just no worry about it? I'm trying to keep my babysitters happy as they are the key to my sanity.
Quote Reply
Re: Feeding Babysitters [snotrocket] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Let me preface by saying I never babysat for anyone but family (and I was in my mid-late teens and had another job). I never expected to be given any food, other than what was available in the cupboards. Generally, if it was going to be a long night, I would bring some money with me for some pizza or whatever. Maybe grab some kind of frozen dinner for her to eat if she wants it (would be a nice gesture), but make sure it'd be something you would eat if she doesn't.

Quote | Reply
Frozen cheese pizza as long as you know she isn't a vegan. Tell her you bought the pizza for her and there are some veggies in the fridge and possibly some goodies in the cupboard so she should just go ahead and help herself. Alternatively, call her ahead of time and say you'd like to get her something to eat and ask what she'd like. Some may argue that that's going too far for babysitters but a good babysitter is worth their weight in gold so you want to keep them happy!

http://smallfoodbiz.com
</blatent self-marketing>
Quote Reply
Re: Feeding Babysitters [lilpups] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree-ask what she might like. She (assuming)might not answer...when I babysat I was SO shy. Then again this was a million years ago! but I liked it when the parents said-I got this for you....or help yourself to anything. If you point out that you got something for her then she may not feel shy to eat it. But me, I still always felt strange eating stuff in other people's homes, unless I was there all day. It is a good question and totally tri related!
Quote Reply
Re: Feeding Babysitters [kbee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We do this about once a month for an extra long date. We usually cook up a little nicer than average meal, one that she'll appreciate, and the kids will like (2/3 of them anyways, the third is still on mush). But then again that being said, we're in the weird situation where we don't pay for babysitting every time, only about 1/5 times if we can't get the regular person. The joys of living in a university town where the students LOVE kids, and don't care about the money!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I babysat a lot when I was younger, and never had any of the families leave me any specific food, or leave money for pizza or anything, even if I was going to be there a long time. However, they did have pretty well-stocked kitchens, so they told me I could help myself to whatever, which usually consisted of a frozen pizza. So maybe just make sure that you have "babysitter-friendly" snacks and food in the house......like frozen pizza, chips, etc. I would have never actually made something like pasta - not that it was a bother, but I just didnt want to be too obtrusive, so yeah, just have stuff that can go in the oven or microwave.

--------------------

http://thethighmasterroutetokona.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: Feeding Babysitters [Tri 2 Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Where do you find college students who don't need money???

We always order pizza for the sitter AND my son (feeding them both).
Quote Reply
Re: Feeding Babysitters [squesen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When my kids were younger, I would usually leave a kid friendly dinner for the kids and babysitter. ( the babysitter would either have to heat up or do minimal cooking) That way, everyone eats! The problem I found was expecting the kitchen to be cleaned when I got home. Get what I paid for.

In the end, I got time out of the house and someone to feel safe leaving the kids with!!! A win/win with dirty dishes.

http://www.edgeventures.org
Websites for endurance athletes
Simple websites for Simple Wallets
Quote Reply
Re: Feeding Babysitters [squesen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's what happens when you're a student as well, and they come to know and love your kids :D:D:D. What can I say other than I'm VERY lucky!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have used babysitters for the same reason. All of my daughter's babysitters have been/are runners/x-country skiers, etc., so what I usually do is make sure there is a big bowl of fruit on the counter and a few of those frozen Annie's meals in the freezer. The meals are usually vegan and pretty healthy, and I let them know to help themselves to anything they want.

I have never had one eat at my home. Usually they come already fed by mom (good mom=good kids), but I think the gesture goes a long way. Between that and being good about making sure that we have them home by a decent hour (11pm), we have had babysitters tell us that they really like to come to our house.

We did have one sitter that was a very strict Baptist. I would usually put the alchohol away so it wasn't in clear sight. I think it is tough enough to be in someone else's home, and I wanted to make sure that I wasn't making her feel uncomfortable in my kitchen and pantry.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I work part time so rather than doing daycare I have a part time nanny. We treat her very well so she is usually always willing to give up a weekend night for my husband and I to get dinner. We ALWAYS leave her money for pizza. The one time we forgot we called and ordered the pizza for her and payed by phone by credit card. She always says we don't have to pay but I know she appreciates it. When you are 19 and in college money is always tight. As a general rule, I would say leave money for pizza then they can pick what they want. The problem with cooking something is you are assuming they will like it. Just my opinion.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Having done heaps of babysitting in all sorts of situations, I know this issue can be awkward! I never expected families to provide a meal for me and would usually bring my own meal if the job were going to be several hours, and was always extra appreciative if a meal or snack was left out. In other employment we don't usually have a meal provided for us do we, so it was never something i expected from nanny employers. It is a great idea though if you have found someone to care for your kids who you trust and you know your children enjoy, as the more perks they have the more likely they are to continue being available to work for you! Nice to know you go the extra mile for your sitters, i'm sure he/she really appreciates it!
Quote Reply