Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: What do you get from your gym? [Jeff_Mdot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I second Lifetime Fitness. The one I go to (Novi) has spin classes Mon.-Thurs. at 5:30am (on Wed., it's 5:15, for an hour class + 15 min. of strength work). Free childcare is the best. I think the initiation fee was something like $225, but there is no contract commitment -- $85/month to month for family membership (kids under 12).
Quote Reply
Re: What do you get from your gym? [Red Dragon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Find a public pool and do the rest at home with some free weights and strech cordz.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The initiation fees are wayyyy to high. I talked mine down from $750 to $200. We pay $149/mo. for two of us and get the works. A one year old facility with a 6 lane 25yd pool, a warmer exercise pool for the water dancers who usually crowd other pools and a really warm kidde pool to keep the gutter crawlers out of the lap pool. Tons of cardio machines, full weight machines and free weights, squash, racketball, toga, pilates, spinning, bocce ball courts, indoor and outdoor hot tubs, steam room, dry sauna, personal lockers if you have the $$ for it, full spa on site (outrageous prices), club nutritionist (but she's an airhead) restraunt hotel (where we get a member discount so I can park my in-laws there instaed of at my house when they visit) and bar attached, running trail starts at the far end of the parking lot and goes for 22 miles in one direction and 10 in the other, train station to the city across the street,full court basketball and vollyball indoors. For an additional $149 we both get coached triathlon training with weekly workouts emailed to us and 6 sessions with the trainers every week.

It's our one splurge and feel it's worth every dime. The people we have met and formed friendships with are the best.

Dave Stark
dreamcatcher@astound.net
USAC & USAT level 2 certified coach
Quote Reply
Re: What do you get from your gym? [nickc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a computrainer setup at home, a park down the road for running and a pool available Thursday and Friday nights and weekends for Y300 (about $) per session.

I can't justify paying for a gym membership when all I will get is effectively just access to a weights room. I'll just buy some free weights and I will be set.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My YMCA is about $32 / month. I think I paid a $100 fee when I joined 5 years ago. For that I get access to three indoor facilities with pool, weights, cardio machines - including treadmills, spinning and yoga classes. The "central branch" indoor facility is about 5 minutes from home and on the way to work, so I go there in the morning to swim. They also have an outdoor facility with an outdoor pool and running/hiking/nordic ski trails that I use occasionally. The big minus, for me at least, is that if you go there at the "wrong" time, such as in the afternoon or on weekends, there are a lot of kids. Kids are nice to visit but I don't want to train with them.

On top of all that, my company offers an excellent fitness center with weights, cardio, and classes (spin classes and other cardio classes). No pool, though. Cost is $8 per bi-weekly paycheck. It's particularly nice because a workout is a three-minute walk from my office. Our office is also literally across the street from a metropark, so I can run over there during the day and change/shower in the locker room.

So, for about $48 per month, I have access to 5 good fitness facilities.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Get one of these with the ankle straps and boots and a bench. You can do leg extensions, curls, squats, every exercise and you do them without the assistance of a seated machine which means that you are forced to work secondary/core muscles.

http://www.iconfitness.com/...3&cgrfnbr=116031

Greatness

"The One"
Quote Reply
Re: $1,100 initiation and $200/mo for my gym!!!!! [Red Dragon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My gym has quite a bit to offer...

Facilities: large lap pools, indoor tracks, weight room (machines and free), racquet ball & squash, aerobics rooms, treadmills, elipticals, spinning bikes, recumbants, basketball courts, motorized climbing wall, pool with wave machine, playground for kids and of course organized classes.

How Often: I personally try to get into the gym at least five times a week but it really depends on the weather. I prefer to do everything that I can outside. It is open seven days a week and 24 hours a day. Of course, certain sections close temporarily for cleaning and maintenance.

Location: A membership at one will get you into any of their locations throughout the US and there are even small satellite gyms (with fewer facilities) throughout the world in places like Baghdad, Kuwait City, Bahgram, and my current gym in Mosul.

Fees: Free, just have to commit at least 4 years to the Army and be willing to leave the bike at home for up to a year while you fly around in Iraq.

;-) Sorry, I couldn't resist.....don't hate me.

Michael

Drafting is for the weak...

Tri2Hover...making flat coke since September 9, 2006.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
To keep it simple: you should never have to pay an initiation fee. There is way too much competition out there (at least here in Toronto and the greater area) and no one should be charging for it.

I pay $50 a month canadian, bull weight room, spin classes, every machine available, yoga, aerobics, tonnes of other classes. The only extra I paid was $75 at the beginning, which got me towel service (very worth it) as well as multi gym pass, which is great because there is a gym right by my home and one close to the office.

Mark
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Holy cow. I pay $61 a month for my wife and I. Masters Mon-Wed-Fri led by Mike Burton(Gold in 68 in 1500 and 400 free and 72 1500)Have a Tri club which coach Jay Marshall just joined(coachjay.com 10 hawaii)A cycling club and running club which has Chuck Aaragon,3:51 mile in 84 olimpic trials and his wife who just slapped down 2:45 mary at 40+.also Dave Coppick a 2:21 marathoner in the early 80's. Hva yoga,pilates and multiple spin classes. Billings Montana can be great. Oh yeah View of the beartooth mnts.
Quote Reply
Re: What do you get from your gym? [efernand] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bally's in Plymouth is where I swim now, when my contract is over, I'll be moving my swimming to the Dearborn (Ford) fitness center, it's free for me cuz I am a Visteon employee.

jaretj
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looks I might be a lucky one. I train at our town's Jr. College. I pay $200/year. This includes a 25m 8-lane pool, weightroom (free-weight and machine) and indoor and/or outdoor 400m running track. The only issue is usage time. Pool is M-F 6am-9am, Tu/Th 7pm-9pm. Sat 7am-9am. Weightroom M-F 6am-9am & 4pm-7pm. All other times are reserved for classes.

This schedule works well my work schedule.
Quote Reply

Prev Next