Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
I don't have the body of a model...and?
Quote | Reply
I have a friend who is a professional ballerina, and not that long ago her husband told me that she was complaining about having no aerobic base. Dancing is apparently completely anaerobic. Her husband suggested that she start running to which she replied, "I don't want my thighs to get big". Let's ignore the fact that that's inaccurate unless we're talking soccer or jumping hurdles.

This got me thinking though, what is wrong with big thighs!?! I know there is a certain "look" that dancers need/want to maintain, but what about the rest of us? I for one, am tired of seeing scrawny models on the covers of supposed fitness magazines. There are too many young girls out there going through extreme measure to be pencil thin because that is how they view sexy.

Well, here are my "stats"...let's celebrate the athletic body type. (Note: I am not trying to brag about myself. As a constant, middle-of-the-pack AGer, I am well aware that there are more athletic women out there than me. I just want us all to be proud of the results that our hard work gets us.)

I am 5'3" and 120 lbs - this doesn't get much lower by time I get to my peak performance shape. (I love to eat!!)

When I buy jeans that fit my waist, the thighs are always tight. This makes me happy because it means they are strong enough to pedal through long miles on the bike.

My arms are not sticks either, which can only mean they will pull me through a long swim...even when I feel like I'm drowning.

I will never have abs...in high school I weighed 105 and I still couldn't find an abdominal muscle in there.

And on a note that doesn't have anything to do with an athletic body...I love all of the tan lines from my socks, shorts, and sports bras. It means I am fortunate enough to go outside to exercise.
Quote Reply
Re: I don't have the body of a model...and? [Sister] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
5'5", 130lbs +/- 2lbs. Gave up trying to emulate my long-legged, fast runner sister a few years ago...now have a prominent butt (result of playing lots of squash) and my lats/shoulders have noticed I'm swimming again so have popped out more recently...always been proud of my flat stomach though (when I haven't eaten too much or eaten something my body didn't like!!)...hey gotta take what you can; after a while I realised I was more pleased with my body's "functionality" than how it looks....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Actually, running would make her thighs bigger and calling that inaccurate is a falsity to me. I was a semi-professional (semi meaning unpaid) ballet dancer for many years. I was also the only one with "real" thighs because of my running. I can definitely understand her will not to have her thighs get bigger and I feel there is nothing wrong with that as she is a professional ballet dancer. I would feel the exact same way as her.

Quote | Reply
I absolutely agree with you that she should not want to do activities that would make her thighs bigger because she is a dancer.

When I said that it was inaccurate that her thighs would get bigger from running, I was picturing the leaner legs of say a pro marathoner (more muscular, but thinner than a cyclist's or a triathlete's IMO). I could be completely wrong that even those thighs are bigger than those of a dancer's, and apparently am...I wasn't trying to be misleading though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i was a student a professional ballet school most of my life. We were not permitted to participate in gym class or anything physcial outside of our ballet classes because of the risk of developing the wrong muscles. Yes, marathoners have slim thighs, but its not beautiful to look at and who would want to see paula radcliffe in a tutu?

Dancing is not anaerobic. Nor is it an aerobic exercise unless you're doing jazz or tap dancing. Most dancers spend 6+ hours a day in rehersals and while you may sweat buckets do to the effort, your heart rate is not going up.

you're right, if you're not a ballerina then there is nothing wrong with big thighs. but ballet dancers spend all day in pink tights infront of a mirror while multiple people tell them what they are doing is wrong. ballet is incredibly tough on your mental health and body image and I urge you not criticize your friend for something you cannot understand.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
An ongoing discussion between my husband and myself is the size of my butt. I want to know, as in 'see', how big it is (from his perspective). So when we are out in public and I see a backside that I think might resemble mine I'll point it out and ask, "What about that one". So far this discussion has been going on for 3 years, with no conclusion. The last time I found one I thought could be a match I asked him, to which his reply was, "Honey, it's really hard to find a butt that resembles yours because your legs are so much bigger than the typical woman". I take that as an absolute compliment. My jeans are ALWAYS tight on my legs. Although I still haven't seen my backside at least I know that my body, although imperfect, is Athletic and I know it can carry me over many many miles. I'll take that over the airbrushed perfectness we see as our (vomit) 'role models'.

Quote | Reply
but its not beautiful to look at and

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I like how my thighs look. I really like how they look when they are in marathon shape. :-)

But yes, professional ballerinas normally have to maintain a certain body shape or they'll lose their jobs.
Quote Reply
Re: I don't have the body of a model...and? [PirateGirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Your thighs are WAY hotter than Paula Radcliffe's.

Quote | Reply
But no where near as fast :-(
Quote Reply
Re: I don't have the body of a model...and? [PirateGirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I bet you'd kick her ass at Kona though!

Quote | Reply
I ride and run with SISTER frequently, and let me tell you, she gets a lot of second and third looks! I'll never forget the day we flatted right in front of the homeless shelter at lunchtime. Sister is only 28 and didn't lack offers for help. We should all feel good about what we do and who we are regardless of thigh size. BTW, we can change our own tires!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm with you. I had a girlfriend of mine that was a dancer for awhile - while she did the whole gamut of dance, she spent the most time on point....she was naturally stick-thin and un-athletic outside of dance. In short, she had the "perfect" dancers body. She hated it. She was lucky enough to be able to eat whatever she wanted and stay a size 2, but she couldn't do anything "fun"...she had to stand in tights, tutus and froth and get yelled at and constantly told she was doing things wrong.

I've never been stick-thin. I'm currently hovering around 158 and I'm 5'6. I wear a 10. For the most part, I'm pretty happy with my body. There are days I'd love to weigh less and there are days where I know I weigh more. But I'm ahead of the bell curve, I can do an Ironman and I train 4 - 6 days a week becuase I like to.

Maybe I don't understand it, but I have no desire to do something where the image of my body and the way other people see it determines my success, ever.

AW
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nothing wrong with big thighs. In fact, on the velodrome, they are very prized as you go fast. The gals here measure them and aim to get them larger.

Also, one of the gals I race with is on a crusade to get Michael Ball to make "kierin cut" jeans. It started as a joke, but she's actually been in contact with his PR dude.

http://bethbikes.blogspot.com/.../08/r-and-quads.html

clm

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My poor hubby has a constant battle with me.

I was a gymnast and sprinter for 15+ years. Clearly, I don't have the skinniest of thighs. I'm okay with them, but I gain weight in my abdomen easily...because I have NO torso. I am 5'4" and ride a 54 bike. I am all leg.... whatever that means for someone 5'4".

I'm lighter and fitter, faster & stronger than I ever have been, but you can count on me wondering what I "really" look like. I think that is because if jeans fit my waist they're tight on my quads... and so I feel "fat" even though they are a size 2 or 4.

Wish I could remove the chip someone implanted in my brain when I was doing gymnastics 4-5 hours a day that makes me think that!!!

Tiger for Life -- War Eagle!

Quote Reply
Re: I don't have the body of a model...and? [slink] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The point of this was never to pass judgement on my friend. I love her dearly and I think she has a beautiful body. As I said in my OP, I understand that dancers have a certain look to maintain. It is, of course, her job.

My point was that we should all, triathletes, dancers, and everyone in between, be proud of the shape that all of our training puts our bodies in. I think muscular thighs and ripped calves are hot, but I also think the long and lean muscles that dancing has provided my friend are beautiful.

My hope is that if there are enough women out there with bodies shaped by hard work, then maybe there will be fewer girls trying to emulate runway models.

For example, my younger sister played soccer in highschool. This made her thighs huge! All muscle, but still huge for her 4'11'' frame. She didn't think that being "thick" was okay so she dieted solely on oranges and crackers...openly. Why didn't anyone, my parents included, say anything to her?! When she lost weight and bragged about it, she was only given positive reinforcement. Thankfully she finally got hungry and the crazy cycle stopped and hasn't returned, but it's unfortunately not the same for everyone.

For girls like her, that's why I started this thread. Definitely not to bash my friend or ballerinas in general. I know that what they do is extremely difficult on their bodies.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yay for a wide variety of healthy athlete bodies!
I don't think I will ever have the super slim thighs of a "jeans model" but I think I've stopped caring! I have naturally meaty thighs and I just have to go with it.
I am working to enjoy my fitness, figure, and being in shape.

I'm about 5"5" and 130-135 (seems to depend on the scale at the dr's office, I refuse to own a scale) and wear 4-6 size clothes. Most people think I weigh more like 110.
I'm good with it.

I would like to see more celebrating of a wider range of shapes in the media, but that's like hoping I'll hit the lotto when I never play the lotto.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm surprised to be the first guy on this thread, but for what it's worth, tone is much more important than size. Not over-the-top guy-like definition, just the tone that comes with fitness. Much better than skinny models any day.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think we could almost be twins:) I'm 5'3" and fluctuate between 110--115. I always have problems buying jeans as the thighs are too tight in comparison to the waist. I love my thighs. It is a direct reflection of how hard I work and I get a lot of --wow, your legs are muscular--when I'm in public. My stomach, on the other hand, has never been flat either. When I first started running, I dropped to 99 lbs before I realized I had to eat more calories, and still--no flat stomach but a very shrunken chest!!! I hate that.
Quote Reply
Re: I don't have the body of a model...and? [kben102] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
When I first started running, I dropped to 99 lbs before I realized I had to eat more calories, and still--no flat stomach but a very shrunken chest!!! I hate that.

You shouldn't hate it because from a physiological perspective, it's good. Breasts tissue goes first because it's not vital for survival. Abdominal fat protects vital organs which is why it's last to go.

I will never understand the desire every woman but me seems to have with wanting breasts. Ugh. They're pillows of fat! I don't get it. Then again I'm the wanna be runway model girl

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: I don't have the body of a model...and? [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fun pillows!

We all just need to do the best with what we've got and be happy for it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
you can use them like a little shelf to sit stuff on when you're lying on the couch reading!
Quote Reply
Re: I don't have the body of a model...and? [QRgirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Fun pillows!

LOL. Guys seem to think so at least. But whenever I ask "so what exactly is the fascination with breasts?" I have never gotten a satisfactory answer to that question. It's always "because we don't have them."

I will stop hijacking the thread :P

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I like have small breasts--they don't get in the way of training, but I would like a flat stomach. What you said makes since about protecting vital organs. I'm only 5'3" so I'm also a bit compressed:)
Quote Reply
Re: I don't have the body of a model...and? [kben102] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Small breasts mean not rolling over in your sleep from one side to another only to wake up because now you're lying on one and it HURTS.

(been there, done that, got 'em chopped off to end the constant back and neck pain, reduce migraines and best of all, not crush them under me in my sleep or have a partner roll onto one in HIS sleep. Imagine waking up to a simulated mammogram every night...)

There is no justice, there is only me. -- Death
Quote Reply
Re: I don't have the body of a model...and? [Sabrekitty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm a big thigh (and calf) girl too and I just want to say thank goodness for jeans with stretch. Without them I'd be showing everyone my butt all the time. I have to admit that I covet the shapely gazelle legs of my husband sometimes because even though I'm 5'7" and 120 lbs my thick legs always make me feel big. And incidentally, when I starting running (especially marathon distances) my thighs got smaller, not bigger.

But I like what a friend of mine once said.....big legs means we're stable in high winds!
Quote Reply

Prev Next