Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

"pelvic pressure" after long runs
Quote | Reply
Hey Womens:

Do you sometimes get menstrual-like cramps after hard or long runs, but the pain is in the OTHER plumbing area? It feels like some damned heavy cramps, except the discomfort is right next door instead. It is not large bowel, not gas-pain, not a running stitch. And, ummm, nothing looks different down there. So far as I can tell, it is NOT associated with periods themselves, not associated with diet, nor bowel habits, or whatever. I am trying to track its occurences but so far there is no rhyme or reason, and it does not happen after every long run. It's a dull, aching, dense pain, very low down internally, which is directed straight down towards the floor, not radiating up or anywhere. Not one-sided. Only relief for it is NSAIDS which work great thankfully. (i.e., a potty stop "attempt to go" does not help)

Thoughts? Sorry to be so graphic. It's pretty intense discomfort sometimes, so I am looking for info. Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: "pelvic pressure" after long runs [PBJ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you pain is around your ischium (sits bones) +/- radiating down the back of your legs, it could be a problem with your piriformis muscle...
If it's pelvic pain, specifically peri-anal, you might want to have it checked out by your gynecologist. It may be something as simple as an anal fissure but it would be worthwhile to make sure it's not endometriosis...
Quote Reply
Re: "pelvic pressure" after long runs [kitboo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hmm. I'll pay attention to whether it is musculoskeletal origin next time, but it really feels like internal organ origin (something inside lower abdomen, not anal or hemorrhoid-ish). I had a normal uterine biopsy 1 yr ago so don't suspect it is endometriosis. I am due for annual gyno appt and am in the process of finding a new one, preferably a runner (male or female). Since my ovaries are nearing their expiration date (I'm 49), I am wondering about menopause changes too. And (ugh) ovarian cancer can have weird signs too. But since it is only when running, I am hopeful it is just something getting shook up.

Thx!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
if your uterus is retroverted (and many of us are) then cramping will feel further back.....

If I run long enough I get cramps - did not happen today, but it was only 7 miles and all zone 2....I think I have to push myself a bit more and be over 10 miles....

have you tried increasing cal/mag/potassium???

---

cat
Sponsored by Suntheanine, Lycored and Celadrin
http://www.lycored.com/web/content/library.asp http://suntheanine.com/Research.cfm http://celadrin.com/pages/studies.php
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are you relatively new to running?

I used to get those cramps, every so often, when I was a newer runner. Not sure if they were exactly what you're experiencing, though. They felt exactly like menstrual cramps to me - but would occur at any point in my cycle. They were painful enough that I had to walk through them. And take ibuprofen if I had one.

I once found discussion of this issue on a running forum - it was very helpful - lots of women appeared to experience it when new to running. But I couldn't tell you where that forum discussion was.
Last edited by: Oleander: Aug 9, 08 19:24
Quote Reply
Re: "pelvic pressure" after long runs [Oleander] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oleander, I'm in my 4th year of running. Never happens during speed work, but once happened after a 5K. Now appears to be associated with runs longer than 8-9 miles. If you happen to remember the running forum, PM me?

Cat, yes my uterus is retroverted, so your explanation makes sense: uterus bouncing up and down on lg intestine/rectum causing irritation. (Sheesh!) And I had dropped multivitamin awhile ago while trying to get hypothyroidism straightened out... was taking the Synthroid alone on empty stomach. But need to get back on vit/mineral supplement again... just got out of the habit.
Last edited by: PBJ: Aug 9, 08 22:14
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
UPDATE: well, I am figuring out all this pelvic discomfort now after trial and error and another dramatic "prolapse episode". It's a rectocoele, along with ut dropping.

To the womens in general: anyone have a rectocoele repair done along with vag hysterectomy? What recovery time did you have?

I am fed up with all this, so I'm going to have the suregeries done as soon as I can get it/them scheduled. I have not signed up for any races other than a marathon in April which may not happen now.

I have a couple of Q's I hoped to have answered by a triathlete OB/GYN..... Spiridon Louis or Holden Cain, are either of you out there (available for PM)?

thanks~
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm not an OB/GYN, but I'm a physical therapist with a special interest in women's health. There's a couple of books I would highly recommend whether you are or aren't having the surgeries. Most people don't realize that there's actually a pelvic rotator cuff, and there's a lot of easy strengthening things you can do to increase stability of the pelvic floor- and I'm not talking about Kegels. The author is Janet A. Hulme and the books are:

1.) Beyond Kegels

2.) Pelvic Pain and Low Back Pain

It will pretty much give you a detailed strengthening program (with progression of exercises) to target the pelvic floor, as well as explain most any kind of musculoskeletal women's health topic. Good luck with everything!
Quote Reply
Re: "pelvic pressure" after long runs [LuckyCharms] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for those titles-- I sent you a PM :-)
Quote Reply