Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Green smoothie recipes
Quote | Reply
I recently acquired a used Vitamix from my mom and I have been in smoothie heaven. My first Green Smoothie consisted of: a couple of handfuls of spinach, 1 orange, 1 banana, 1/2 cup ice, 1 cup water. Delicious! I had my husband take a picture so I could send my mom a thank you note.

I made this smoothie for breakfast:
1/2 cup oats
1 cup unsweetened almond milk
1 tbsp peanut butter
1 banana
2 dates
cinnamon
nutmeg

It was excellent, although next time I think I'll thin it out with 1/2 cup of cold water.

So... do you make smoothies? If so, please share your favorite concoctions here!
-Sarah
Last edited by: squesen: Jan 30, 09 10:16
Quote Reply
Re: Smoothie recipes [squesen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for sharing this. I'm always looking for good smoothie recipes. Hopefully others will follow.

------------------------------------------------------------
I have failed at many things, but never in my desire to try again.
Quote Reply
Re: Smoothie recipes [squesen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...ng=smoothie;#1843462

Quote | Reply
Thanks. I missed this. :)

I'm hoping for some GREEN smoothie suggestions, if anyone has some to share. Maybe I'll edit the title of the thread?
Quote Reply
Re: Green smoothie recipes [squesen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I pretty much put a handful of kale or spinach or some carrots in every smoothie I make. You can't taste that stuff at all. I also put Acai in all my smoothies, so they are purple from that and I don't see the green.
Quote Reply
Re: Green smoothie recipes [PirateGirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I pretty much put a handful of kale or spinach or some carrots in every smoothie I make. You can't taste that stuff at all. I also put Acai in all my smoothies, so they are purple from that and I don't see the green.
Which brings me to this slight hijack...I finally made some kale chips after reading about them in your blog and YUM! I ate a whole batch today.

Jessica
Quote Reply
Re: Green smoothie recipes [PirateGirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I made a beet, apple, spinach, and date smoothie yesterday that was a beautiful color, but a little on the "earthy" side flavor-wise.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Joel Fuhrman, M.D., who wrote the book Eat to Live and most recently Eat for Health, is the king of green smoothies. His website has a recipe index with green smoothies and a forum with green smoothie threads. The only catch is that it costs $7.95 a month to get access to this material. Some recipes are available for free on his blog, though--diseaseproof.com. Do a search for "green smoothies" and click the "Smoothie Moves" search result for one version of my all-time favorite, chocolate-cherry smoothie. Here's the one I make in my Vitamix (measurements are approximate):

Susan's Chocolate Cherry Smoothie
1 c frozen cherries
1 banana
1/2 c plain soymilk
1-2 T cocoa powder
1 T flaxseeds
5 oz package baby spinach or baby lettuces
your choice of sweetener to taste

Here's another of my favorites:
Susan's Baby Bok Choy Smoothie
4 baby bok choy
1 medium apple
1 frozen banana (slice before freezing)
1 T flaxseeds
1/4 cup plain soymilk
your choice of sweetener to taste

I have cut way down on my green smoothie consumption though. I found that drinking my calories makes it easier to consume too many of them.

Susan
Quote Reply
Re: Green smoothie recipes [susanherself] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh heck yes! These sound great! :)

I am replacing my afternoon snack with the smoothie, not adding the smoothie in on top of my regular meals; I agree it is easy to over do it. I am finding that a bunch of raw fruits and veggies gives me a really great mid-day boost.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been thinking about smoothes as a way to increase my fruit and veggie intake. I used to have a smootie maker that had a tapered container and a spout at the bottom that I lived but it died on me. Vitamix is pretty far outside my price range. Any suggestions for alternatives? I already have a regular blender but it has the flat bottom and all the crud gets lodged in the bottom like the protein powder.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1c fat free vanilla yogurt
8oz of frozen strawberries
4oz of frozen mixed berries
1/2c orange juice

or

1c fat free vanilla yogurt
8oz of frozen strawberries
4oz of frozen mixed berries
1/2c fat free chocolate milk
1 teaspoon peanut butter

Those are my main two smoothie recipes. The first one is if I'm craving something fruity and the bottom one is if I'm craving something chocolatey.

--
01001010 01100101 01101110 01001000 01010011 00100000 01101001 01110011 00100000 01010100 01101000 01100101 00100000 01000100 01100101 01110110 01101001 01101100 00100000 00101000 01100001 01100011 01100011 01101111 01110010 01100100 01101001 01101110 01100111 00100000 01110100 01101111 00100000 01110010 01101111 01100001 01100100 01101000 01101111 01110101 01110011 01100101 00101001 00100001
http://trainingoferic.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

-----
Over 4.5 years bike crash free.
Quote Reply
Re: Green smoothie recipes [xraycharlie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
xray - you are always so helpful.

Tongue

Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Re: Green smoothie recipes [JenHS] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What, isn't that spinach in the photo? Hell, I never claimed to be a botanist.

-----
Over 4.5 years bike crash free.
Quote Reply
Re: Green smoothie recipes [xraycharlie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Thanks for the laugh. :)

Jessica
Quote Reply
Re: Green smoothie recipes [Jessica] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This thread inspired me to skip work this afternoon in favor of smoothie maker shopping. One of the benefits of working from home is that people never know that you are answering them from you iPhone while looking at jeans on sale at Luck Brand. (I got a little sidetracked from the smoothie maker shopping.)

Jen

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So... did you get a smoothie maker or the jeans?

I did spinach, banana, and frozen strawberry smoothie today. It was really good.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Um, both. They were both on sale. :)

Jen

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for stimulating the economy! :)

I work from home 4/5 days of the week -- er, 6/7 days? -- so I know what you mean about iPhone + errands. I figure working at 10 p.m. makes up for it.

If you come up with an interesting smoothie concoction, let us know. I just made homemade hummus in the vitamix when I got home from the gym. Excellent!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I got my VitaMix used on craigslist and it is running like a champ. The older ones are great, and there is no need to pay top dollar for the latest version.
Quote Reply
Re: Green smoothie recipes [Large] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Depending on how loyal I actually end up being to this I might upgrade.

This mornings recipe:

Frozen mixed berries
Soy protein powder
Flax seed meal
Orange juice
half a banana

I forgot to add the yogurt I bought yesterday. It would have helped with the creaminess. I will need to work on proportions as I have now made too much :-) And, I had to keep adding OJ to get the consistancy right and now it is too thin. It will be a fun experiment.

Jen

Quote Reply
Re: Green smoothie recipes [susanherself] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i am new to the book but interested; do you substitute the smoothie for something later in the day or can it be used as a treat at the end of the day? my husband is the one watching his weight and i want to try and have something available that will feel like a treat but not put him over in calories.
Quote Reply
Re: Green smoothie recipes [hummingbird] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I sometimes have a green smoothie as part of supper when I come home from work so ravenous that I need to eat immediately. A green smoothie also makes a good breakfast. I actually make a "green pudding" in my Cuisinart using whatever mild-flavored greens I have on hand (turnip, savoy cabbage, baby lettuces, chervil when I can get it), tofu, banana, cocoa, ground flax seeds or chia seeds, and some stevia. My BF thinks it's disgusting. :)

For your husband, the main thing would be to account for the calories in his daily total and not add a green smoothie on top of everything else he's eating.
Quote Reply