Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Running in North Carolina
Quote | Reply
Hey Everyone! I am new to the forums after lurking for a while. ;-) I just moved to Raleigh, NC from Southern California. I am trying to find good places to run, but seem to keep running in to warnings about being safe. Is it really that dangerous for a female to run alone here? I didn't feel like there were as many cautions when I was is Southern California. Any suggestions for good places to run? I know that the track NCSU is open to the public, so I might check that out. But, I still need to find something other than track runs. Thanks for any help!
Quote Reply
Re: Running in North Carolina [JessinNC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I live just outside Raleigh and run out my front door 4-5days a week. I have never heard anything about it "not being safe". We moved here from MI for the great outdoor lifestyle. I consider Raleigh to be very safe.....then again I moved from Detroit. Who gave you this perception of Raleigh? I am sure there is a "geto" part Raleigh but I have never seem it. Not too sure where you live but I would think you could run our your front door as well. If not run from one of the local bike shops (Cycle Spoken Here, Inside out Sports). They also have tons of group rides from the stores as well.
Quote Reply
Re: Running in North Carolina [nctrigirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the info nctrigirl! I figure it seems safer than Los Angeles. I saw some warnings on a running site somewhere and on a random North Carolina forum. :-) I will try out the areas around my house for now, we are living in southwest Raleigh.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Check out Ulmstead Park and the Tobacco trail. Both are awesome running.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey - I don't have much to add, since the people above have given you decent info. Try http://www.trianglecycling.com They do lots of organized rides when it gets warmer, and they also usually put up info about rides from various stores in the area. As for running, Tobacco Trail and Umstead Park are both great. I actually live over in Chapel Hill (I'm a grad student), but I have never heard of anyone having problems with safety in the area. Outside of just being smart about knowing where you are, etc., you should be fine.

If you ever want to catch up and ride/run/whatever sometime, let me know. When I manage to get out of the library, I always appreciate company! Hope you're enjoying lovely NC :)
Quote Reply
Re: Running in North Carolina [carolinagrl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks everyone! I am looking forward to getting out on the road once it warms up a bit. :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Blowing Rock - on the trails that ZAP uses -

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not your backyard, but there is a great trail next to the Duke campus in Durham that goes around the Wa Duke golf course, maybe 2.5 miles from what I remember. I trained for the NY Marathon by doing laps on that trial.
Quote Reply