Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

The elusive "Sit Bone" as it relates to SADDLE choice
Quote | Reply
I have been painfully shifting in my seat, reading these tales of women riding on the nose of their saddle, and men commenting, seemingly puzzled, why his wife didn't like the fizik arione. Before you, the woman cyclist, buys a saddle, it might be best to start with an anatomy lesson.

see
http://www2.merriam-webster.com/mw/art/med/pelvis.htm

Before scrolling to the bottom and reading the caption, look at these images. Take a wild guess as to which one represents the female pelvis and which one the male. Anyone can notice a marked difference here. In particular, note the difference in the width between the sit bones. (Sit bone = ischium)

Then ask yourself the question, where would you rather put your body weight-- on your sit bones, or your soft tissue? In an ideal world, someone would create a saddle that will put the appropriate amount of padding under our sit bones. (Keep in mind, this is the same Ideal World where creepy men do not hit on you on the weekly group ride).

Now ask yourself, is the space between my sit bones identical to the space between every other woman's sit bones? As you know, woman's bodies are different, largely due to bone structure, genetics, exercise and athletic background. You can lose 10 pounds, but you can't shrink your sit bone width. More importantly, you can't assume that any given saddle company will make a saddle that will fit your sit bones!

When you hear a woman raving about a saddle, don't be fooled. Unless you have the same pelvis, there is no proof that it'll work for you. Of course, some will be better and more popular than others. They will be especially popular, I have found, if they are emblazoned with a cute pink butterfly, or swirly purple flower design. Don't be fooled by the "women's specific" marketing strategies either! It's a harsh world out there, full of pink and purple and butterflies.

Men don't make it any better either. The marketing strategies for men are basically aimed to sell the lightest saddle possible. "Dude, it's less than 100 grams." "You gotta get Ti rails man." So while your husband/boyfriend/best friend/riding partner comes home thrilled with his new saddle - basically a flat piece of carbon with a thin veneer of fake leather stretched over it, do NOT listen to him when he raves about it and suggests you get one too. That's a terrible idea. Instead, ask him if he plans to get pregnant and birth a child through his pelvis.

I think the best road saddle on the market for women right now is the Specialized Ruby. Why? It comes in three widths. It is pretty light. It is not magenta. Some bike shops that carry Specialized will also have a mold- you sit on it, and it'll leave behind two impressions of where your sit bones are, and handy enough, the contraption comes with a ruler. If you are lucky enough to fit into a widthy category of 130, 143, or 155mm, you will likely be happy with a Specialized. However, there are many other saddles that work well for women out there too. I have tried many (Terry, Selle San Marco, Selle Italia, Fizik and WTB) but the Specialized Ruby and Jett come out on top every time.

And finally, if you find yourself inching up toward the nose of your saddle while in your aerobars, first try physically moving your saddle forward on its seatpost before you decide your saddle is uncomfortable. Maybe your aero fit needs some modification!

The bottom line is, be pushy. Ask to try everything. Don't settle for anything that someone else decides for you.
Quote Reply
Re: The elusive "Sit Bone" as it relates to SADDLE choice [mmichalak] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have also taken the Specialized seat test, but these are seats made for road bikes. You can read an earlier posting on The Triathlon Forum by John Cobb
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/gforum.cgi?post=2170479;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;;page=unread#unread but when riding aero the narrower the rear of the saddle the better because it won't cause you to move forward on the saddle because of your thighs striking the rear. Yes, you want your weight to be on the sit bones, but don't go for too wide or you'll end up going forward and missing the whole point 'cause you'll be on the nose of the saddle. I think to have a good experience with a saddle you have to look at your overall fit. For example, if your aero bars aren't set up right you'll put too much weight back in the saddle.

But you are right about being "pushy" and not taking the general promotional creed aimed at men for granted.
Quote Reply
Re: The elusive "Sit Bone" as it relates to SADDLE choice [kaypar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I have also taken the Specialized seat test, but these are seats made for road bikes. You can read an earlier posting on The Triathlon Forum by John Cobb
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/gforum.cgi?post=2170479;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;;page=unread#unread
Maybe it's just me, but I can't pull up this thread.

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Re: The elusive "Sit Bone" as it relates to SADDLE choice [mmichalak] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A bit contradictory:

>>When you hear a woman raving about a saddle, don't be fooled. Unless you have the same pelvis, there is no proof that it'll work for you.<<

>>I think the best road saddle on the market for women right now is the Specialized Ruby.<<

So which is it?

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: The elusive "Sit Bone" as it relates to SADDLE choice [trackie clm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not entiriely contradictory, because the ruby comes in 3 widths, and the point of the post is....different people's pelvis widths/sit bones are different widths, and especially different from men.
Quote Reply
Re: The elusive "Sit Bone" as it relates to SADDLE choice [PirateGirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I know that everyone will fit differently. She said she knows which is best. That's what I find contradictory.

clm

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: The elusive "Sit Bone" as it relates to SADDLE choice [trackie clm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I like the Ruby/Jett best BECAUSE it comes in three widths. This particular attribute is what I believe makes it the overall best. Not because it fits me. Any given woman will likely have the best shot at fitting the saddle due to the fact that it come in 3 widths; it's a good place to start trying.

That said, any company that makes road/mtb saddles in different widths may be good place to start. But I haven't found anyone else who does this (yet) except Specialized. I've heard other companies have started. (?)
Last edited by: mmichalak: Jan 26, 09 9:44
Quote Reply
Re: The elusive "Sit Bone" as it relates to SADDLE choice [mmickela] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
While I agree that width is an important consideration, it is far from the only one. length/cushioning/cut-outs/flatness/flex.... Lot's of things to consider. If it was as simple as finding the right width, this wouldn't be such a discussed topic.
Quote Reply