Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: How much do you spend on food? [austin79] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't have numbers for you but I remember being shocked my first summer out of college, living on my own, and how much I spent on groceries.

This week I've spent lets see $2.29 on a half gallon of milk, and $2.18 on yogurt -- but I'm at college and have a meal plan so everything else I just get here. We even have cliff bars and stuff at the "markets" (adjacent to the dining halls) so I can use my meal plan ("dining funds") there. The meal plan was $1700 for the semester so divide that by 12 weeks and you get how much I "Spend" a week on food, I guess.

When my brother and I are home on breaks my mom spends about $200 a week for a family of 5 (2 college aged athletic eat everything in sight kids + 2 adults + a 12 year old growing boy)

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Last edited by: tigerchik: Jan 22, 09 14:27
Quote Reply
Re: How much do you spend on food? [BeeHunter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Given your entertainment habit, I think you should include your $5/night Ben and Jerry's fix. :)
Quote Reply
Re: How much do you spend on food? [doug in co] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Lunch at Whole Paycheck will kill your budget. Nothing wrong with PBJ sandwich and an apple..[/quote] There is when you are allergic to bread and peanuts.

I usually do the taco bar 2/$5 and get out of there without a drink for $5+tax.

Quote Reply
Re: How much do you spend on food? [lilpups] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hah! My better half could pull up Quicken and tell you to the penny as well whereas I have no clue. I'd guess we probably spend about $200/week on food. He buys his lunch everyday so that adds up. I buy my lunch as well but we have a subsidized cafeteria so I spend about $2 a day. Our bills will go up once our son is eating real food and no longer being breastfed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
movies, entertainment, travel, socializing, clothes, sports, gifts, etc.

Movies, maybe $50/month, if that.

Travel, depends. I save $400/month into a savings account for summer camp for my son, racing expenses, and Christmas travel.

Socializing, $0. We don't drink or go out other than out to dinner occasionally.

Clothes, not much. Racing and technical wear, yes, $$$. Otherwise, clearance racks and sale items. Maybe $100/month over time. The kid makes it expensive because he's growing.

Gifts come from the savings bucket, mostly. My husband and I don't do big gifts for one another. We get my kid one really nice thing for his b-day and two for X-mas (one from Santa, one from us). So that's not much either.

Basically, I don't skimp on food. I keep our house at 68-degrees in the winter. I shop for clothes on sale. We don't go out. We aren't super-loaded, but we aren't struggling to get by, either.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I think $300 is still the most that I can spend on food with the amt of money that I make - provided I still want to drive my car, cut my hair once in a while, and refill my birth control pills. I hear kids are really expensive![/quote]You could get a cheaper eating boyfriend or one who eats less anyway, cut out sex completely, ride your bike outside for once ;-) and grow a mullet!

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: How much do you spend on food? [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The BF is already lean... I can't let him waste away. Sex counts as free entertainment, so no need for movies, etc. If it were light at 7am when i go to work and 8pm when I end up leaving work, I could ride home. And the mullet... well, i think mullets require some maintenance to keep the front short.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You would look so much hotter in a mullet!

On a side note still haven't heard from the east coast crowd about Austin half. Are there still slots open?

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: How much do you spend on food? [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
just the full is still open... half is sold out...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So I went grocery shopping tonight and thought out this conversation the whole time. I focused on specials that I get because I have a QFC Card. I walked out and had saved 20% off the bill because I only got stuff I needed that was on sale. That was the trick though. I didn't get it just because it was on sale, which is typical behavior, I got it because I needed it. If I didn't need it and it wasn't on sale I walked past it. I felt pretty damn proud of myself!

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Re: How much do you spend on food? [Tridiot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I live in a house with 4 other girls with communal food and we spend $30-35/week/person (comes out to $128/month). And we eat well. It is possible. The guys down the street spend $25/week/person but we actually eat healthily.

We splurge on milk (college girls need their calcium). For juice we buy frozen concentrate. Staples are whole wheat pasta, brown rice, chicken broth, the cheap giant blocks of cheddar, beans, oatmeal, bulk yogurt, peanut butter, 25lb bags of frozen chicken breasts, tortillas, baking supplies, and bread... We get lots of fruit and vegetables and the discount grocery store. Occasionally we'll buy a block of Parmesan, canned pasta sauce, chips and salsa, hamburger meat, bagels, or something else as a treat, but not too often. We don't buy pre-packaged snacky foods (or if we do, they don't go on the house tab), but we bake a lot and always have fruit and baby carrots on hand.

"When the going gets tough, get going!"
Quote Reply
Re: How much do you spend on food? [catwood] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think that's fantastic. When I was in college we lived on Lean Cusine, ramen, Slimfast and beer.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I spent $60 at the store today--the expensive one, not Whole foods, but it is still considered expensive. I got a lot of good healthy stuff and a lot of it should last me more than a week. I shouldn't have to eat out either. I am trying to get my food under $250 a month. I used to eat out a lot and buy expensive prepackaged stuff at the store. I am trying to eat out less and cook more and buy less prepackaged junk. We'll see how it goes!
Quote Reply
Re: How much do you spend on food? [njtrigirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Forget food prices.......what are your supplement costs for a week?
Quote Reply
Re: How much do you spend on food? [shelly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't spend any money on supplements, what about others?
Quote Reply
Re: How much do you spend on food? [njtrigirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
None here.

Quote | Reply
I take Krill oil (like fish oil w/o the fish taste) and I think it is about $30 for a 90-day supply.
Quote Reply
Re: How much do you spend on food? [squesen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do you talk whale?

I always buy suppliments but forget to take them.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Re: How much do you spend on food? [shelly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Forget food prices.......what are your supplement costs for a week?

Whatever the jumbo pack of muliti-vitamin at Target costs.

clm

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
Lunch at Whole Paycheck will kill your budget. Nothing wrong with PBJ sandwich and an apple..[/quote]
I usually do the taco bar 2/$5 and get out of there without a drink for $5+tax.

You too eh? Family of 3 celiacs + food allergics here. I am the only one who could eat regular but I don't, just to assuage hurt feelings.

$15k at the grocery store in 08.

I'd estimate another $5 - $8k for packaged non allergenic bread mixes and stuff. Damn.
In Reply To:
Last edited by: WeRide: Jan 29, 09 14:33
Quote Reply
Re: How much do you spend on food? [JenHS] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I prefer whale-whisperer. :)

Seriously, I hated fish oil burps which I'd have all day before switching to krill.
Quote Reply

Prev Next