Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

"levels of fecal coliform..." This makes me feel good about the swim at IM Louisville...
Quote | Reply
"Unsafe levels of fecal coliform, or E. coli, have been identified in about 500 miles of the 981-mile river, which stretches from Pittsburgh to the Mississippi River at Cairo, Ill."

Details in the NYT at http://www.nytimes.com/...o%20River&st=cse
Quote Reply
Re: "levels of fecal coliform..." This makes me feel good about the swim at IM Louisville... [jfm225] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Two words... iced tea.
Quote Reply
Re: "levels of fecal coliform..." This makes me feel good about the swim at IM Louisville... [jfm225] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I live in Chicago and raced IMKY last summer. To be honest, I swim in lakes in the NW burbs that are much worse than the ohio river. I didn't find it that bad, as a matter of fact I really enjoyed it...the time trial start didn't hurt matters either!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just figure in any race Im swimming in fish piss and poop! Whatever..........

Michael in Kansas
"Once you learn to quit, it becomes a habit"
"Its not whether you get knocked down, it's whether you get up" Lombardi
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yea that's not good. Obviously the stuff in the water that can hurt us in a race we can't necessarily see, smell or even taste. I did do Louisville in 07 and like others honestly thought it was not bad either. I have swam in races where the water looked and smelled worse, but again that doesn't really mean anything. I like to think even WTC wouldn't subject 2000+ paying customers to water that is deemed unsafe to swim in but who knows? They certainly seem to be the kings of brushing un desireable incidents under the rug. I haven't heard of people getting sick from the water if it's of any consolation. I haven't, but would do the race again as well. At our own risk, buyers beware I suppose like every race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
All the more reason to make sure your goggles are secure and that you don't swallow any water. :P
Quote Reply
Re: "levels of fecal coliform..." This makes me feel good about the swim at IM Louisville... [Robroo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That is the least of your worries.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Actually, that stretch IS the Mississippi river. And it does not suprise me that unsafe levels of anything were found there. I used to live alongside it.
Quote Reply
Re: "levels of fecal coliform..." This makes me feel good about the swim at IM Louisville... [JoeO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Actually, that stretch IS the Mississippi river. And it does not suprise me that unsafe levels of anything were found there. I used to live alongside it.

I would think that that is only a partial explanation?

Bent Olav Olsen, recreational triathlete?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"Swim With Your Mouth Closed" Ironman.

In Atlanta we used to have the Acworth Triathlon at Lake Acworth. The fecal contamination was always high. The city officials used to try and blame it on the geese, but as it turned out, there was a leaking sewer line running through the lake. We used to call it the "Swim With Your Mouth Closed" Triathlon.

The Acworth Triathlon is no more, but they currently put on a ladies only race triathlon at the lake.

I did Louisville in 2007. I had no issue with the river. I have swam in worse. I will be swimming in it again this year.

---------------

"Remember: a bicycle is an elegant and efficient tool designed for seeking out and defeating people who aren't as good as you."

--BikeSnobNYC
Quote Reply
Re: "levels of fecal coliform..." This makes me feel good about the swim at IM Louisville... [GT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
do the breezy point triatholn at naval station norfolk you come out of the water with a nice coat of oil

All I Wanted Was A Pepsi, Just One Pepsi

Team Zoot, Team Zoot Mid-Atlantic

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
HTFU
Quote Reply
Re: "levels of fecal coliform..." This makes me feel good about the swim at IM Louisville... [Ironfit09] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
x2 on the Ohio River water quality.

I did the race in '07 and it was the cleanest open water I swam in all summer. I'm in Cincinnati and swim at state parks not too far away (Hueston Woods, Ceasar Creek, East Fork), and the water at IM Lou was better.

Worst water I've ever been in was the old Leon's QEM Triathlon in Hammond, IN in Wolf Lake back in the late 80's. There was a residue on the body that didn't come off for weeks from that water and I think I glowed at night for a couple of years.

Tad

It took awhile, but I finally discovered that its not the destination that's important, but rather the journey.
Quote Reply
Re: "levels of fecal coliform..." This makes me feel good about the swim at IM Louisville... [LastManWalking] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:

I would think that that is only a partial explanation?
Let me try that again.

As a boy I used to live along that river. It was a sewer.

(But not due to me!)
Quote Reply
Re: "levels of fecal coliform..." This makes me feel good about the swim at IM Louisville... [TMT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Worst water I've ever been in was the old Leon's QEM Triathlon in Hammond, IN in Wolf Lake back in the late 80's. There was a residue on the body that didn't come off for weeks from that water and I think I glowed at night for a couple of years.
Wow, they had a tri in Hammond? Yikes...
Quote Reply
Re: "levels of fecal coliform..." This makes me feel good about the swim at IM Louisville... [francismacomber] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yikes indeed. But it was a big time race (in '91), determining who represented the US at World's (for AGers). The bike course was pretty cool because they shut down Cline (I think it was Cline)...very few races do you have a highway closed off for cyclists (maybe it was only part of the highway...memory is starting to fade).

Tad

It took awhile, but I finally discovered that its not the destination that's important, but rather the journey.
Quote Reply
Re: "levels of fecal coliform..." This makes me feel good about the swim at IM Louisville... [TMT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did louisville in 08 and it was easily the worst water I have ever swam in. I live the PNW and the ohio river seems actually worse than the irrigation canels I grew up around. That said I didn't get sick.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
"Unsafe levels of fecal coliform, or E. coli, have been identified in about 500 miles of the 981-mile river, which stretches from Pittsburgh to the Mississippi River at Cairo, Ill."

Details in the NYT at http://www.nytimes.com/...o%20River&st=cse

it's more fun when your life is on the line...would you have it any other way?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bah! Do the Philly Tri. You get to swim in the Schuylkill River.

I start the antibiotics a week before.
Quote Reply
Re: "levels of fecal coliform..." This makes me feel good about the swim at IM Louisville... [Hot Tamales] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have done the Chattanooga Waterfront Triathlon for the last 2 years. It has a rather nasty swim in the Tennessee River. Two years ago I cut my foot on a dock before I went in the water. My only thought was "I have an open wound and have to swim in this river?"

---------------

"Remember: a bicycle is an elegant and efficient tool designed for seeking out and defeating people who aren't as good as you."

--BikeSnobNYC
Quote Reply
Re: "levels of fecal coliform..." This makes me feel good about the swim at IM Louisville... [GT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And yet you had no adverse effects!
Quote Reply
Re: "levels of fecal coliform..." This makes me feel good about the swim at IM Louisville... [jyeager] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
And yet you had no adverse effects!
NonE WHatSo eVer! *twitch*

---------------

--BikeSnobNYC
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
:)
Quote Reply