Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Where does one actually sit on saddle?
Quote | Reply
Call me an idiot, but man, I'm ready to give up cycling! I have scrolled thru all the saddle conversations, but no one really mentions "where is best place to sit" on your saddle. I am having a very hard time finding this perfect seat. Fitted by two different BS, tried many many saddles, and like an idiot, signed up for an IM this year! I have been riding for years. But for some reason, last year did me in and I have yet to enjoy riding. So my question is...where exactly do YOU sit on your saddle...people say sit bones...EXPLAIN...such as if I was on a hard chair, sitting up straight, legs bent and lifted, those things I feel digging in chair are my "sit bones" correct? NOW...the other bones I was told to sit on, are more in front: getting in an aggressive aero position has to be sitting on these hard areas...WHICH ONES AM I SUPPOSE TO BE ON? DOES IT MATTER?

I tried the specialized jett, thought it was it, but I just cant get use to sitting on those front bones, seat is too hard! Am I sitting on wrong ones? HELP!

One day, a saddle (and bike) will be my friend!!
Quote Reply
Re: Where does one actually sit on saddle? [Lizz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Something to keep in mind as you are trying all of these things, is that it also just takes time on the bike for it to become comfortable. No bike saddle is going to feel comfy if you haven't put in the training time. Just a thought, apologies if it doesn't apply to your situation. Saddle comfort is definitely a frustrating problem.

M

------------------------------------------------------------
The beatings will continue until morale improves
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I sit my sitbones on the wide part of the seat. I'm pretty sure that's why it was designed that way. Even in the aero position. I get the feeling most other people don't. I like comfort over watts. If I ever get really 'fitted' on a bike and I find out that I'm way off in watts sitting that way, I'll switch bikes and find one I can sit on the seat of the saddle, not the nose of it, before I train and race multiple 5+ hour rides uncomfortably.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
And yeah, it takes time to build up to get used to riding. the first few rides each year I'm okay to mile 40, then 50, 60, 70, 80, 90. I've never been comfortable after about 90 miles because I don't ride that far that much. The last 20 miles of an IM I'm racing to get off the bike more than I am racing in the race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Call me an idiot too, because I've found this baffling as well. When I ride my road bike, then yes my "sit" bones are in contact with the saddle. And having the right width saddle made my road bike super comfy.

However, when I'm on my Tri bike and in the aerobars, I've been told to rotate my pelvis forward. So basically, my sit bones are now pointing behind the bike and not straight down. Therefore... ?? the soft bits seem to be in waaay too much contact for me.

I've dealt with this by building up slowly and trying different saddle, short, combos. But ultimately it seems that in the aero position you're not on your bones any more.

----
Suffering on the the bike is always more fun than suffering on the run.
Quote Reply
Re: Where does one actually sit on saddle? [ride 'em] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
>> Therefore... ?? the soft bits seem to be in waaay too much contact for me. <<

I sit clear out on the nose of my saddle on the tri bike.

clm

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I sit wherever it hurts least. I know that sounds like a smart a** answer, but I'm not really trying to be.

I've been going through the same issue - trying saddles and whatnot. Before I got my tri bike I was on my road bike - with a tri saddle - and it wasn't bad. When on my aerobars I would ride fairly far forward (tilted forward pelvis-like), but the bike is still really comfy when I'm sitting up or in the drops (sit bones in full contact, when I climb I scoot even further back). On my TT bike, it's been a struggle with that stupid saddle since Day 1. Not quite as painful as some, but I would come home from long rides with open wounds.

I got a fit and he tilted the nose of my saddle down a bit, also played around with the aero bars (apparently I ride fairly steep, which is fine with my hamstrings and hips, maybe not so fine with the bits) and pulled them back a bit. I tried about 3 different saddles - it helped me to go in there the day after a long ride so I was already in pain, I was able to tell a little quicker what would and wouldn't work. I have one on there now (not sure which, sorry) that might work. It's got a fairly wide and long cutout. The sides have taken some getting used to as it feels a bit wide, but once I get "which" usually takes some moving around to get everything to sit/settle/lay/squish where I want it to I can stay there for quite awhile.

So for me it worked (for now) to tilt the nose down a bit and move back to put the sensitive parts basically in the cutout. Is that how it's supposed to be - no idea. Does it work for now - did a gnarly iron-distance in nov and survived with all parts intact.

AW
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Speaking of the soft parts...do you put the nose of the saddle square in the middle of them or kind of scootch them to one side? I put my gel seat cover on yesterday and that has helped a little. Next step is to tilt the front down a little.
Quote Reply
Re: Where does one actually sit on saddle? [PirateGirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I sit my sitbones on the wide part of the seat. I'm pretty sure that's why it was designed that way.

Smartest words written on Slowtwitch in a long time.

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Someone should really write a book called "all the questions and things you need to know about cycling but are embarrassed to ask."

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: Where does one actually sit on saddle? [trackie clm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So you're basically saying the "bits" are off the front?

I'm thinking the nose of my saddle may be too long. To be in the right place for my position (ie reach to aerobars, etc.) I still have the nose under my front, soft bits. If I were to move the saddle back and keep myself in the same place (if that's even possible, I'd be sitting on too narrow of a part of the saddle.

----
Suffering on the the bike is always more fun than suffering on the run.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have my sit bones on the widest part of the saddle and my 'bits' are in the cutout in the nose.
Basically I just tried a lot of different saddles until I found one that worked. I'd find somewhere that you can try them and return them if you don't like them - that's what I did. Took me about 7 saddles to find one that worked for me.
Now that it does, I'm completely comfy up to IM bike distance. I have the same saddle on my road and tri bikes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
And yeah, it takes time to build up to get used to riding. the first few rides each year I'm okay to mile 40, then 50, 60, 70, 80, 90. I've never been comfortable after about 90 miles because I don't ride that far that much. The last 20 miles of an IM I'm racing to get off the bike more than I am racing in the race.
DITTO THAT!! OMigosh...I rode outside the other day for the first time since right after IMFL. After about 25 miles, the rest of me was fine but my girl parts were screaming to get off the bike! LOL.
Quote Reply
Re: Where does one actually sit on saddle? [Nemostrin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
After reading the replies, I did a trainer workout for 45 minutes in the aero position, and yes, I still sit on my sit bones on the wide part of the saddle. When I rolled my hips forward it was just plain uncomfortable and my watts dropped about 5% for the same effort/heart rate.

I have a terry damselfly seat and when you sit on the wide part of the saddle, the cut out does what it's supposed to do, relieve pressure. I can't imagine riding any other way. But it seems like almost everyone else does.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am with you on this one Pirate Girl. For me that is the most comfortable way and in those long rides comfort is soo important. I have tried, whilst on trainer so move forward but it is soooo uncomfortable.
Quote Reply