Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Wii - Video Game or Private Gym?
Quote | Reply
I was telling my friend about the gym I've been going to and the personal trainer I have. I suggested to her that it might be something she would be interested in. She replied, "that's why I have my Wii".

It got me thinking...are people really purchasing the Wii for working out? I am not a video game person (and thank God my husband isn't either) and I'll admit I have a very skewed idea on anything video game-ish.... I guess if it gets the lazy's off their butt and actually 'moving' then that is a positive (although I've read countless stories in the news about over-use injuries people are experiencing).

With that said, in all seriousness do you think the majority of people see the Wii as a video game (like our house does) or are they buying into the marketing campaign that it is (and can be) their own private gym?

Last edited by: leslieW: Jan 10, 09 23:35
Quote Reply
Re: Wii - Video Game or Private Gym? [leslieW] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think the vast majority recognize that the wii is a video game first but an interactive one at that. So to a point it is better than xbox or ps3 in that atleast you are up of your seat. To get to your point about it replacing a gym. Again I don't think that most people see it as replacing a gym. There are those people though that are so out of shape or over weight that the "exercise" the Wii provides is about all that they can handle. So for them this may be the way that they view the Wii. I am a physical therapist and I have had several patients come in with wii related injuries. People can really get into those games.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It depends if she's talking about the Wii or the the "Wii Fit" component. I was playing with the Wii Fit at a friend's house and I have to say it would make a really good intro tool to those who are too intimidated to go the gym. When you start the program, it takes you through a series of assesments, including calculating your BMI and allows you to select goals. I didn't get too far into the actual workouts, but some of the assessment tests were pretty tough, so I believe that it could be an effective workout tool.

I'm with you in the "anything that gets people off the couch is a good thing" mentality. Regardless of what's motivating her, hopefully just getting more active will whet her appetite for more.

M

------------------------------------------------------------
The beatings will continue until morale improves
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wii fit can be a game and a fitness tool.

I like the balance board ski activity - it helped me get my balance over my knees during the fall and when I hit the slopes for the first time this past weekend, I had the best form I have ever had.

I also like the feedback the Wii fit gives in terms of body position on yoga poses - by forcing you to keep your core in a specific area, you know exactly how the pose is to be done, something that verbal feedback cannot do.

Is it a game - sure, but it can also be used as a good strength workout - and when my hub & son battle on the hula hoops, it is an all out cardio war <G>

Tri Hard !
Quote Reply
Re: Wii - Video Game or Private Gym? [Bing] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I also like the feedback the Wii fit gives in terms of body position on yoga poses - by forcing you to keep your core in a specific area, you know exactly how the pose is to be done, something that verbal feedback cannot do.

Is it a game - sure, but it can also be used as a good strength workout - and when my hub & son battle on the hula hoops, it is an all out cardio war
I've learned something new. I knew that Wii was interactive but didn't realize to what extent. It sounds pretty cool. And I can only imagine the hula hoop battle between your husband and son. Just thinking about it makes me laugh.

Quote | Reply
I bought Wii for my 7 yr old twin girls, and little did I know that the boxing game could kick my ass. I didn't know one of my cue little seven year olds could kick my ass either!!! I am in decent tri shape, and the first time I played, it was for 30 minutes straight, and I needed to have a water bottle to keep me going. I took a drink every chance I could take a break from swinging! Tennis is fairly realistic too just without the scrambling.
Quote Reply