Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Gwenyths Detox diet
Quote | Reply
Okay so I saw this and had to throw it all to you- can you really do a detox diet and keep up a base building training schedule. I would be terrified to try this keeping up the workouts I am doing- anyone else have thoughts.

http://goop.com/...amp;utm_medium=email

COtrimom

Quote Reply
Re: Gwenyths Detox diet [COTrimom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm not one for detoxing or for diets but I looked at that one and it looked like there was some actual food involved so that's a bonus. That looks like a lot of work to prepare all that food though. Let us know if you do it and what your experiences.

I like Gwyneth but find this lifestyle web site she's got going a bit gag reflex inducing. It reminds me of the whole "must have the most expensive handbag" fad that plagued young women, which was out of touch with reality and bad for women in general in my opinion. I hope living beyond your means goes out of fashion. Sorry for rambling and good luck with whatever you choose.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Funny you should post this. There was an article on BBC News website today about detox programs.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/7808348.stm

Just as a counter point for you to consider.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"Detox diets" are one of the sketchiest things on the market. Why do soooo many people buy into them?

Quote | Reply
Dang....perhaps I should have done MORE research.

I have the mlis detox program box thing upstairs waiting for me to start it (next week was the plan).
http://www.mlis.com/nu_detoxification.html

Friend of mine swears by it and considering I have serious plumbing issues (I can get backed up for DAYS (9 days was my worst)) she thought it would be something to try.

I don't want to jack up my liver. Never even considered that as an issue. Now the decision making begins...

Quote | Reply
I think a trip to the doctor (of course, assuming you haven't already) is a much better idea than some magical "detox" product.

Quote | Reply
If you figure out the plumbing secret, do you promise to share with the rest of the class?

I've got a seriously picky stomach, when combined with totally indiscriminate tastebuds it makes for some interesting conversations.

That said, detox diets have always scared me. Something just seems wrong about putting that much effort into cleaning out pipes. All I have to do is pick the right meal....

Sorry...we're really not shy around my house.

AW
Quote Reply
Re: Gwenyths Detox diet [AWARE] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've had some success with "detox" diets that just have you remove certain trigger foods for a week (dairy, sugar, caffeine, gluten, etc.) Not digestive success, necessarily, just feeling better, sleeping better. Supposed to reduce inflammatory responses. I don't know if it did that, or if it was just that we were eating better and feeling better for it.

I have had digestive success with a regular doc. A couple years ago I was having some major issues. I'd get bound up for a week at a time and had a lot of general GI pain - it had been managable for a few years, but was getting worse. My original doc just said to eat more fiber...and I was like, are you kidding me?? That's not the problem. It was a big cause for concern because my dad died of colon cancer and my sister has Crohn's Disease. I went through a battery of GI exams...not one inch of me remined un-scoped...and the only thing they found was that I had H. Pylori (bacteria in my gut...it's a precursor to ulcers and stomach cancer). Not a big deal. They estimate some crazy-high % of people have it, but some don't have reactions to it. I was on a wicked course of anti-biotics for 2 weeks, and when I was done, no more GI problems. Sort of a miracle for me, and it had actually affected my quality of life.

Just thought I'd share my good fortune in actually finding the root cause of some chronic discomfort! Get yourself checked out!
Quote Reply
Re: Gwenyths Detox diet [leslieW] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I use Miralax on a regular basis. Don't know if you've tried this or not, but it's very gentle and won't give you diarrhea. Good luck. Plumbing problems are aweful.

------------------------------------------------------------
I have failed at many things, but never in my desire to try again.
Quote Reply
Re: Gwenyths Detox diet [do140.6] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I actually have a prescription for that and it's been sitting in my medicine cabinet. So do you use it daily? I used it a couple times a week and it didn't do anything so figured why bother. Perhaps that's why it hasn't been working so much for me. ?

Quote | Reply
Could be. If you are really backed up it could take several days of daily use. Sometimes, especially when I travel and eat bad, I don't realize I'm getting backed up and of course I forget to bring my Miralax. I have to use it a few days in a row and use a suppository to get it going. The good thing now is it's sold over the counter so it's easy to pickup.

------------------------------------------------------------
I have failed at many things, but never in my desire to try again.
Quote Reply
Re: Gwenyths Detox diet [acs2345] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Your symptoms pre-antibotics sound just like what I went through about 6 years ago. For about 2 years I had severe constipation and pain. It actually felt like someone was stabbing me in my upper right abdomen. I went through just about every scoping test, blood test and scan. They ended up diagnosing me with IBS and sent me home with a prescription for Miralax. It helped alot with the constipation but not so much with the pain. The pain was eventually linked to my gallbladder. Guess under certain conditions (stress, alchol, high fat foods), bile backs up and causes inflammation.

About that time, I started training more seriously and regularly and the pain and constipation went away on its own. It seems that exercise was just was what I needed to "treat" by IBS. Since then, all has been well. I do notice flareups when I eat terrible or reduce training volume. So I guess I will have to keep exercising forever.

My experience with Miralax was a good one. Like other said, I never had any bloating or diarrhea or any real side effects.
Quote Reply