Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Running in the snow
Quote | Reply
Hi All- what can I slip on the bottom of my running shoes to make running on snowy roads safer? Are there spikes and if so do you know of a brand? Thanks

COtrimom

Quote Reply
Re: Running in the snow [COTrimom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yak Trax

http://www.yaktrax.com/

There are several days a year where I wouldn't be able to run outside without them. My favorite winter running accessory. Easy to pull on and off and I don't feel like the mess with my gait any more than making so I don't slip and fall does.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think Asics has a new type of shoe out that is especially for running in the snow, might look into that.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Kahtoola microspikes are WAY better than yaktraks. They go on and off much easier and provide better traction. If you end up on a clear road for awhile, you can easily take them off and put them in your pocket without having to sit down and wrestle with them. They are a little bit more expensive at $58, but well worth it.
Tamela
Quote Reply
Re: Running in the snow [DirtGirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good tip, T, I've never really like the yaktraks because of that exact issue. I'll have to give these a go.

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Huh, they have the same basic mechanism for going on and off as the Yak Trax and I run in mine on pavement without worrying about dulling the grippy part.

I don't get enough extremely icy conditions to go with spikes so Yak Trax are probably a good choice for me.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Re: Running in the snow [JenHS] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The rubber on these doesn't get as "hard" in the cold and remains pretty pliable. I went running with my friend Kat on mixed terrain after the big ice storm up here. I had Yaktraks on and she had the Kahtoola microspikes. I had never heard of them before, but after seeing her use them, I was sold.
Tamela
Okay, I've been trying to had pictures from our mountain ridge run, but I keep getting red x's. :-(
Last edited by: DirtGirl: Jan 4, 09 15:29
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
..Being a triathlete...if the weather was ever so bad that Yaktraks weren't cutting it, I might hit the pool instead :-)

My husband and I did a run a few mornings ago , just some medium snow coming down. He had on Yaktraks..Santa forgot to bring those to me. I slipped a few times and even fell once. He was like 'huh? is this even slippery?" . I am sure the $58 ones are super awesome but I will probably go with the Yaks...after all I need to save some budget for studded tires for my mtb. :-P
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So glad to know about the Kahtoola! I love running in the snow but am afraid of slipping. I'll check 'em out! Thanks.

http://www.theironmountaineer.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My favorite trick:

Step 1: Go to Home Depot or Lowe's and pick up a pack of 10/32" sheet metal screws with hexagonal heads (or similar small size).

Step 2: Get an old pair of training shoes (the ones that have just been relegated from primary trainers work best).

Step 3: Screw sheet metal screws into bottoms of training shoes. I usually use 8-10 screws in each shoe, 6-8 in the forefoot and 2 in the heel area.

Step 4: Run with confidence on any surface.

The screws are shallow enough not to affect your foot strike (even on clean pavement), but do provide a spike that will grip on any surface I've come across. If used on dry pavement they do produce an annoying "click, click, click" sound.

It's a great winter running solution for around $3. It goes without saying, but be sure to avoid your hardwood floors.

Jeff Larson

"You must be the change you wish to see in the world."
-Ghandi
Quote Reply
Re: Running in the snow [JstTriN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wait - you put the screws in them from the bottom upwards? The sole of the shoe is thick enough to prevent you from getting your running shoe permanantly attached onto your foot?

Or am I missing something, I woudl have guessed you'd remove the insole and put the screws facing DOWN from your foot. But then you'd sort of be stepping on the heads of the screws...any more details, thx.
Quote Reply
Re: Running in the snow [WeRide] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This link should make it all pretty clear:

http://www.skyrunner.com/screwshoe.htm

I use screw shoes and like them. You might want to keep elastic laces on them so that you can get them on and off quickly right at the door, so that you don't mess up the floor.

-----
Over 4.5 years bike crash free.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As xraycharlie pointed out with the link, you install the screws from the bottom up. The sheet metal screws that are used are very short, the threads are probably 1/8" to 1/4" so they don't get anywhere near the inside of your shoes. The heads of the screws are what actually serve as the spikes, if that helps clarify. The only thing I notice while wearing mine is the "click, click, click" when I walk and that they grip very well on icy surfaces.

I also have a set of rubbery slip-over-my-shoe style spikes, but I find them to be much more of a hassle and certainly much more $$$ than adapting a pair of my used shoes. Besides, squeezing a few more months of running out of a pair of my favorite trainers makes me feel good.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have you had any experience doing DIY bike tires like this? I saw that on a google search as well. Thx.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I vote for yaktrax as well. They work great.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I haven't tried the DIY option with bike tires. It seems to leave a little less room for error and getting stranded miles from home due to a flat wouldn't be any fun.

I do have studded tires on my cross-bike, but honestly don't ride it all that much. The downside with winter in WI isn't just the ice and snow, but all the salt and chemicals dumped on the road. I wash my car about every week and a half, doing that with my bike takes a little too much fun out of the experience.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi, thanks for the advice. I am getting the sheet metal screws today and will make it a project.

As for the bike tires, this is kind of a one shot deal. I try to do stuff together as a family as much as possible, so hopefully when they have to be spectators for me, they feel included. Kiddy CX, etc. Well, there is an ice race in our area coming up. It is basically a 20 min CX on a frozen pond of ice. I would only do it, just to get out there and get some fresh air , famliies are welcome to do it (all abilities) . Some maniacs do in fact race that thing for real, (and I plan to stay out of their way) but I was thinking of just doing it as a novelty .

The organizer told me she would loan me some studded tires for the adult bikes, but they don't really make studded tires in 24" size which my younger son rides. So, I was thinking, if me and DH borrow the tires for our bikes, I can DIY stud up my old beater MTB (If I mess it up, so what) for my older son and lower the seat , and then that just leaves my little guy and I think I could stud up my older son's bike that he just grew out of. Got that? haha...we are talking about probably hours of preparation for 20 min of riding, but...what the heck. It's winter, we got kids, wth else are we doing that's any better.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The ice race sounds like a blast. I would certainly try the DIY studs if it's on a closed course and a breakdown (flat tire) wouldn't render you stuck in the middle of nowhere. I would still plan to line the tires with duct tape and quite possibly an old inner tube and duct tape just to be sure.

If we had an event like that here I would for sure take part. I'm sure everyone will have a good time.

Enjoy!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you do use the DIY method, make sure to put some Stan's in the tube as well. I like using DIY tire screws with a tubeless Mtb
tire setup with Stan's sealant inside. As for the Skyrunner article on shoe screws, it works great. Did a 1 3/4 trail run with some ice and snow in the foothills yesterday and they worked great.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
http://www.32north.com/prod_lite.htm

personally, i think they are better than the yaktrax (and were way more popular in the running store where i worked), and they are about the same price.

mckenzie
Quote Reply
Re: Running in the snow [xraycharlie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Follow up post, these screw shoes are the s***!!! I have run all over everything with them. They will be on my list for "best gear of 09" for sure. Thank you so much.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Because of this thread I went out and bought Yak Trax (easier to find than the other 2 kinds listed). LOVE THEM. Was so much fun, running on a packed snowy trail. I've never done that before. THANKS for starting the thread and asking!! I wouldn't have done it otherwise.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Glad to be of help. Next project: putting screws in a used pair of gel-soled shoes, to give a slightly softer ride for the bare sections of pavement. Not really sure how it will turn out.

-----
Over 4.5 years bike crash free.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Are there spikes and if so do you know of a brand?[/quote]as previously posted, by far the best "spikes" of them all (and the cheapest too, by a mile--like around $1 for the screws):

i've used this on ice and snow with total success for years. more info is here:

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/gforum.cgi?post=1602502

Where would you want to swim ?
Last edited by: GregX: Jan 25, 09 17:23
Quote Reply