Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Trader Joes
Quote | Reply
I love TJ's. I have my usual list of things that I buy, but a friend just turned me onto their pre-cooked lentils (find them in the veggie cooler section.) I know that lentils are super quick and easy to cook, but I must say the TJ pre-cooked version are yummy! I mixed them with some sauteed onion, mushrooms and topped it all on tri-colored pasta. My friend that told me about them mixes the lentils with Greek yogurt. Sounds strange and I have not tried it yet, but she's a super picky eater so it must be good.

I'm curious as to what other Trader Joe's gems are out there that I have yet to discover.

What do you get there?
Quote Reply
Re: Trader Joes [QRgirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ah the danger here is every time I go and try something, or someone makes a recommendation, its another thing added to the list of Must Buys...
I LOVE:
roasted red pepper and tomatoe soup
brown rice sushi
vegetable whole wheat lasagna
the frozen indian foods
the berry/cherry mix
the european style yogurt (they are always out when I go!)
sliced candied ginger
their quinoa -easy to cook never bitter
crabcakes
chili lime chicken burgers
masala patties (awesome! like the inside of a really good somosa)

the only thing I tried and did not like were goya dumplings. But still they were not bad! everything pretty much from there is fantastic.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not food, but their shave cream in the orange container is heaven!

Pizza dough that you roll out to make your own pizza- yummy!

Come crawling faster
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wish we had TJ's in Canada...

<If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough>
Get Fitter!
Proud member of the Smartasscrew, MONSTER CLUB
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
+1 on the pizza dough.

You HAVE to try the spicy Flaxseed chips. They used to be $1.99 but have skyrocketed to $2.34. TASTY. And they are the best chip ever for guacamole.

Speaking of which, their avocado prices are usually the best non-sale price you can find.
Quote Reply
Re: Trader Joes [kbee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
masala patties (awesome! like the inside of a really good somosa)

In which section do you find these little goodies? They sound fantastic. I love samosas.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I like their frozen pasta dinners, there is one with bowtie pasta, spinach and carrots that is very simple but good. I always stock up on the frozen salmon patties. I also like a lot of their breads. I am always looking for things that are quick, simple and healthy and have found many things at TJ's that fit the bill. I would agree with the goya dumplings, they were the one thing I would not buy again (not horrible but not great).
Quote Reply
Re: Trader Joes [Khai] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Khai,

The one in Bellingham is typically filled with Canadians. Have a look in the parking lot next time, so many BC plates! When I lived in White Rock, I did most of my grocery shopping there. Half of the border crossing guards got it, while the other half looked at my like I had two heads when I said that I was driving 30mi south to shop at TJs. One of them seemed like she wanted to turn me down because she thought I was lying while others would wave me through as soon as I said "Trader Joes".

Now, and when we lived in Calgary, we tend to plan vacations around visiting Trader Joes. We have a couple of shelves practically filled with caseload-quantities of our favourites!

The shopping list:

Chocolate Decadence Cereal
Peanut Satay Sauce
Wasabi Mayo
Mediterranean Cheese Style Yogurt
California Rolls - west coast only
carrot cake cookies - Boston only
Masala Tandori Naan
Vodka Pasta Sauce
Edamame
Walnut Halves
Bruschetta
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
the masala patties I think may even be called burgers? they are next to the other burgers in frozen food section...so good.
Hmm salmon patties...that is something I would not have thought to try but definitely will!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
the masala patties I think may even be called burgers? they are next to the other burgers in frozen food section...so good.
Those are sooo good!!!

Come crawling faster
Last edited by: LovePugs: Dec 30, 08 17:53
Quote Reply
Re: Trader Joes [LovePugs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yes I had two tonight! but I eat them as is. Perfect. My BF thinks as they are in the burger section that means they go on a bun with ketchup and I just CRINGE! But when we get somosas I pick the filling out and give him the deep fried bit.
Reminds me of a story, I used to live above an indian grocer and his wife made awesome somosas and I kept saying Id bring them to work one day. Then I finally did and took an order from coworkers, how many they'd like so she could make them just for us and I'd pick them up before the afternoon shift.
One guy said he wasn't sure....but he thought maybe he would like 3 'osas'. But he was not sure as he had never had osas, but since everyone else said osas were great he wanted osas too.
He wanted to try SOMEosas!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
haha!! Nice!

Come crawling faster
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What?? No votes for 2 buck Chuck?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
WINE.

Not 3-buck chuck, necessarily... but they have a HUGE selection of wines under $7 bucks or so. I try and buy a case a month of all different kinds.

mmm-mmm-Momo Charms
Handmade beverage charms, jewelry, and miscellanea

http://momocharms.wordpress.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We ended up driving to the one in Bellingham (via Sumas/Aldergrove) a few times last year when the dollar was better...HEAPS cheaper than Canadian food at the time...actually probably still is - fill up with el cheapo gas to maximise the savings too...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What's the closest you have with decent prices?

"How bad can it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Re: Trader Joes [lmnilson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I love their frozen pasta dinners as well. The gnocchi is excellent. We are obsessed with their dark chocolate covered mixed nuts and the peanut butter cups. Can't have those things in the house.
Quote Reply
Re: Trader Joes [snotrocket] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I love their frozen pasta dinners as well. The gnocchi is excellent. We are obsessed with their dark chocolate covered mixed nuts and the peanut butter cups. Can't have those things in the house.

I'm off candy for the month of January which made passing up all the tasty goodies pretty easy...

Come crawling faster
Quote Reply
Re: Trader Joes [LovePugs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I love Trader Joe's. We do most of our shopping there. I like the pre-cooked grilled chicken breast, the noodle bowls, my husband really likes the frozen burritos, their eggs are really good, pasta marinara sauce, pre-cooked brown rice, cheese, and other nummy things.

I do like them for healthy foods that are quick!
Plus we save money there from our other grocery store!
Quote Reply
Re: Trader Joes [determination] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I need to give TJ another look. I went in there once and everything seemed to have a ton of calories -- it looked like a bunch of pseudo-healthy convenience food. The fresh fruits and veggies were desultory. But I must have missed the good things. This thread has inspired me to give it another shot.
Quote Reply
Re: Trader Joes [squesen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
desultory -- I just learned a new word. Thanks! :-)

Come crawling faster
Quote Reply
Re: Trader Joes [squesen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I love Trader Joe's, but it is easy to go overboard! I was there yesterday when I took my car for service since there's no store in our town. New finds were nutty trail mix with CHOCOLATE (!!), dried pears, and cacciatore simmer sauce. All 3 definitely tasty and at least somewhat healthy (chocolate gets an exception).

Triathlon (n). An athletic contest in which participants compete without stopping in three successive events.
Quote Reply
Re: Trader Joes [tallgirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I discovered the Piccata simmer sauce a few months ago. It's light, lemony and good!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I love Trader Joes. A friend of mine just hooked me on their edamame hummus. I like it with their pita chips/crackers, but I'm sure it's good with anything. I love their frozen brown rice - just microwave for 2 minutes and it's done. I also just picked up something called Apricot Kernels - they look like little almonds and taste like almonds infused with a bit of apricot - very tasty.

M

------------------------------------------------------------
The beatings will continue until morale improves
Quote Reply
Re: Trader Joes [mdraegernyc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sounds yummy. I love apricots and almonds...
Quote Reply

Prev Next