Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Truvia- no calories but 3 carbs?
Quote | Reply
I just had a couple packets of Truvia with my breakfast; free sample came in the mail. How is it that each packet claims to be 0 calories but then has 3 carbs?
Quote Reply
Re: Truvia- no calories but 3 carbs? [forzagto] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sounds like a suspicious thing you probably shouldn't be eating in the first place.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: Truvia- no calories but 3 carbs? [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's stevia; all natural sweetner which comes directly from a plant unprocessed. Everything i've read on it is that it is the best natural sweetner and other brands i'v had of it had no calories and no carbs but this brand does have the carbs and just curious how it could be possible to have no calories but have carbs? Thanks www.truvia.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I saw a similar bogus claim on some product I can't remember. It claimed to have lots of energy, but no calories. Sorry, but by definition, that's just not possible.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Natural sweetener without calories? Come on.

Quote | Reply
Whether its nutrasweet, splenda, or Truvia- it just seems like if you are going to add sugar then just add true cane sugar and just go minimal in terms of its use. Seems like we always hear later about it not being good for us. So go minimal but go natural- thats my thought take it for what its worth.

COtrimom

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sugar alcohol is not recognized by the body as calories.

However, the down side of eating this product and others like it is diarrhea frequently follows sugar alcohol consumption.

New weight loss method, I guess.

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Re: Truvia- no calories but 3 carbs? [COTrimom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
honey and maple syrup both work well as sweeteners, taste better too.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: Truvia- no calories but 3 carbs? [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
it could give you lots of enegry but no Kcal look coffee it has the caffine

Andy
Quote Reply
Re: Truvia- no calories but 3 carbs? [Brind-Surch] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Stevia is natrual. You can buy it at health stores as a 'dietary supplement'. Since it's just a plant, it cannot be patented or marketed, and therefore companies aren't going to make a LOT of money off it. FDA has banned stevia from being added to soft drinks and other foods - so you can sell it separately, but not in stuff. It has been used in Japan in soft drinks for the last 20+ years. Our companies over here have figured out a way to finally make money off this stuff. They have taken one of the sweetening components out of the whole leaf and therefore can patent it and sell it.
The down side is no one knows if the component is as safe as the whole leaf.
Forgive me if I may not have this EXACTLY right, but the above is the best I could remember.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quick follow up if anyone is interested. Here is what Truvia had to say regarding the question of zero calories but 3 carbs:

Thank you for your interest in Truvia. Unlike sugar which provides 4 calories per gram, the body does not use erythritol for energy, so it does not contribute calories. In other words, the caloric value for erythritol is zero calories per gram. Truvia does not increase blood sugar. The body does not metabolize or use Truvia the same way that it uses sugar and other carbohydrates. The body cannot convert Truvia to glucose or blood sugar. Therefore the grams of carbohydrates don’t count. The net carbs in Truvia natural sweetener are zero. Please continue to visit our website for more information.

Thank you
Truvia Customer Service
www.truvia.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
The body does not metabolize or use Truvia the same way that it uses sugar and other carbohydrates.
yummmmmy.... sounds perfectly natural!

Quote | Reply
I know, right. I can just visualize it getting stored in a little compartment under my rib if it's not used or metabolized.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
LOL!!!!
Funny you should say that... I have this one little spot under my rib that gives me problems when I train really hard. I'm pretty sure it's the Diet Coke aspartame I've consumed just chillin out with nowhere to go. :D

Quote | Reply
The FDA never banned stevia for use in foods per se, but before it could be used in foods it did need FDA approval (which was obtained recently). Stevia is actually a high potency natural sweetener, meaning there is very little of it in the packet. Personally, I'm pretty excited to try it. I'd rather eat it than the no calories artificial sweeteners on the market.
Quote Reply