Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Are potatoes vegetables? [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Brian may not be the best for nutrition advice... Did he have a Pepsi to wash down his candy bar? And did he get you lost in the desert yet?
Quote Reply
Re: Are potatoes vegetables? [austin79] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Of course there was Pepsi with it. That goes without saying...

Lost, well, no. Yesterday we went on a trail run and he marked it with flour. Like Hansel and Gretel. Today we ran Yetman. Breakfast involved a breakfast burrito for him, 4 pieces of french toast for me, am so hungry!

How have you been?

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Last edited by: tigerchik: Dec 31, 08 9:44
Quote Reply
Re: Are potatoes vegetables? [JenHS] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Speaking of potatoes, I've never been a big fan of sweet potatoes until recently. I saw a receipe in Runner's World for sweet potato wedges and tried them. Cut potatoes into wedges toss 'em with olive oil, paperika and rosemary. bake at 375 for about 20 minites....not bad if I do say so.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Who is Brian? And I'm jealous of all the food you eat. I want to eat that much and stay little. I looked at food the last few days and gained 2 pounds.

Quote | Reply
Hahaa!!!

I always keep frozen around in case of emergency such as not feeling like cooking fresh, injuries in hard to ice areas and when there is nothing else in the house.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Re: Are potatoes vegetables? [D!] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Brian = Brian Stover, aka desert dude

Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh, clearly I'm slow.

Quote | Reply
Roasting sweet potatoes in olive oil and rosemary is a big favorite of mine. Mashing them with butter is mighty fine as well.

I always eat the skins of potatoes.

I wonder where Potato Buds fit into this whole conversation....

Jen

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh, clearly I'm slow.

You need to eat more veggies.

Smile

Jen

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
pull up my training log for the past couple weeks, those calories are quite needed.

I still owe you a PM...

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Roasted brussel sprouts are amazing too! Slice in half, put in a pan, cut side down with a little olive oil for about 45min at 350. Yummm!! They go a bit black looking but don't worry about that.
Cauliflour is also a great alternative to potatos for a lot of stuff. You can also cook spaghetti squash just like pasta or serve dishes that traditionally go with over spinach or brocolli instead.

Can you tell - I totally crave starchy stuff but feel way better when I make the effort to eat more veggies instead.

One other idea if you want to be more inpired about veggies in general is to visit your local asian grocery store or, in the summer, farmers marker. SO much good stuff!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"Yes, but ditto others about them being mostly a starch (corn is the same way). "

"starch" is just another word for "carbohydrate" - they are the same thing.

What some of you may be trying to say is stay away from "carbohydrates" (starches) that have a high gylcemic index.
Quote Reply
Re: Are potatoes vegetables? [Miranda] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've got some sweet potatos and brussel sprouts that will get roasted tonight. I might have a carrot or two that will get thrown in there. I managed to get in my veggies by adding peas and lima beans to my left over curry. Yummy!

I didn't realize corn should get tossed into the starch catagory. So, potatoes and corn shouldn't count towards my total but can be consumed on an occasional basis. Got it.

Jen

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you really want to know, starchy vegetables include: potatoes, corn, peas, and winter squash. Yes, they are all vegetables. No, I wouldn't count them towards your veggie goal for the day.
Quote Reply
Re: Are potatoes vegetables? [gwaveswims] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
If you really want to know, starchy vegetables include: potatoes, corn, peas, and winter squash. Yes, they are all vegetables. No, I wouldn't count them towards your veggie goal for the day.

I'd probably add lima beans to this list.

clm

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: Are potatoes vegetables? [trackie clm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Damn you all!

Phhbbbt.

Jen

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Forget them. I'm with you. Potatoes rule!

Quote | Reply
peas are pretty starchy too

leafy greens, Jen, leafy greens.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bah, take your leafy greens elsewhere :P

Quote | Reply
jen, my stepmom got me the "veganomicon" cookbook for chanukah. I know you're not vegan but it has about a million really simple and accessable veggie recipes (most of which can be prepared in 15-45 minutes). If you are interested, I could copy a few and send them to you.

my severely neglected blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just got back from the grocery store and now have a big pan in the oven with brussel sprouts, carrots, onion, a few small red potatoes, red pepper, garlic, olive oil, sea salt, pepper. Balsamic vinegar to be added soon. There's enough for multiple meals. And the house smells good!

I also bought a big tub of baby spinach which can be made into salads, or wilted with some garlic, a little olive oil and balsamic vinegar (see a theme?) And, a big tub of mixed greens. And frozen chicken breasts to cook up. One of my goals is to take my lunch instead of buying it everyday.

clm

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Bah, take your leafy greens elsewhere :P

Leafy greens and salads are something I CRAVE... it is like a chocolate craving only for salads???

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When I'm training alot I crave salads too. I also crave chocolate so they are not mutually exclusive.

I did a Trader Joes run yesterday and picked up some yummy stuff. Big salad for dinner last night. My cells already feel better after veggie increase for the last 3 days.

Jen

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I guess technically potatoes are a vegetable but here is my ruling as a chef:

I would count them as a vegetable if you are boiling, steaming, roating or baking them. If, however, they become a french fry or a potato chip they no longer count as a vegetable.

Having said that, the other day I cheated and had a bag of President's Choice Hot Wing and Blue Cheese Potato Chips. Best. Chips. Ever. I think I would eat them every day if they were vegan.

===============
Proud member of the MSF (Maple Syrup Mafia)
Quote Reply

Prev Next