Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Pregnancy: How do you do it?
Quote | Reply
I really admire girls who give birth and make a comeback to competitive racing! How do you guys do after a long time off? I took 1 month off from training and still trying to get back into shape!
Quote Reply
Re: Pregnancy: How do you do it? [swimfan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Try breastfeeding! Burns a ton of calories!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not to be snarky here, but if you really wanted to know how dedicated and driven a woman can be, then you should not have addressed us as "guys." And for that matter, we are not "girls" either.

Women, ladies, females: good.
Guys, girls, broads: bad.

Heather Sweet
http://thesweetsadventure.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Pregnancy: How do you do it? [hj-rockstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I guess I've never had a problem with the term "you guys". Or chicks. Or girls.

I mean, anything can come out sounding sexist depening on context, obviously... but saying "how do you guys do it" doesn't really upset me.

mmm-mmm-Momo Charms
Handmade beverage charms, jewelry, and miscellanea

http://momocharms.wordpress.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Not to be snarky here, but if you really wanted to know how dedicated and driven a woman can be, then you should not have addressed us as "guys." And for that matter, we are not "girls" either.

Women, ladies, females: good.
Guys, girls, broads: bad.
Yes ma'am!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
swimfan
people like you are a reason we have a women's forum.Can you go be a douche somewhere else?
Last edited by: kbee: Dec 31, 08 9:37
Quote Reply
Re: Pregnancy: How do you do it? [kbee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I didn't reply you, you replied to me and for gods sake what did I do wrong here? I could have given you a very nice answer but I do have respect to a lot of folks here.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Gordo wrote about Mon's preganancy. She did something workout related every single day of her pregnancy and looks great now, two months later.

http://www.gordoworld.com/...8_10_01_archive.html

Second entry.

She swam 908,600 meters during that time and she is not a slow swimmer!

clm

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SF asked a valid question. Let's just drop the name-calling please.

clm

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: Pregnancy: How do you do it? [trackie clm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think swim is the answer because I see a lot of pregnant women in the pool although they are not swimmers or triathletes. I guess the answer to my question is never let go yourself 100 percent during off time and keep being active in some sort of activity.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't have a problem with the terms 'you guys' or 'girls' or 'chicks' either. As long as 'swimfan' is behaving over here, I think we should be welcoming. I know I would probably say something like 'you guys' or refer to a woman as a girl or something but I doubt I would ever receive any heat for it because I am a woman. Enough double standards.

As for the pregnancy issue, I am always impressed by the women who come back after pregnancy and are often even better athletes. Not only do they have to come back after taking a significant amount of time off, but they also have undergone a big change in their bodies and change in lifestyle. I don't have children yet, so I don't know from experience, but I know it is a real challenge.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Being 21 weeks pregnant at the moment - I'm wondering how it will all come back too!! I've tried very hard to stay active - mostly walking on a treadmill since the snow has really started coming down, eliptical machine, and since the nordic ski trails are finally groomed and have enough snow on them, hoping to start getting in some skiing soon. It's hard to stay motivated now - all I really want to do is ride my bike (on the trainer) at the house - lets me sleep in, not have to drive anywhere before or after work, but the 30 minutes spent on the bike Saturday was the last I'll be seeing of it for a while, just too uncomfortable to bend over like that any more.

How will this translate to post birth? I have no clue, but I'm hoping it will keep me from gaining 75 pounds between now and May, will hopefully translate to being fit for the birth (not that you can train for it, but better than nothing right), and hopefully will help with the recovery process too. Will I ever do an Ironman again? Who knows - that's the last thing on my mind right now, but with fitness being so important to my family already, I can't imagine it will be too hard to get back into something post birth - even if it's just hikes and walks... but I sure hope there is another Ironman out there for me!!

Harry: "I expected the Rocky Mountains to be a little rockier than this."
Loyd: "I was thinking the same thing. That John Denver's full of shit, man."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow. I know it's already been said, but was that really necessary? He asked a legit question and one I'd love to know the answer to.

Swimfan, I (along with many others) am happy to have you here. I could really care less what you call me (girl, chick, woman...)

Quote | Reply
When I was pregnant swimming was awesome. It relieves the pressure of gravity while carry around extra mass. Also, I gave birth in August in Colorado, and the summers there are hot. The water was sweet relief.

---------------------------------------
Awww, Katy's not all THAT evil. Only slightly evil. In a good way. - JasoninHalifax

Quote Reply
Re: Pregnancy: How do you do it? [D!] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh cmon, he is laughing AT us.
It was great for a while when swimfan was on 'hiatus' and then ST wasn't littered with his trolling threads, fat bashing, slow bashing, etc. But now he is back and in the Womens. After all his threads that seem to be created just to insult people and stir controversy and seek attention, I really can't take anything he says seriously at all.
It seems though that there are different 'rules' here in the women's forum. Too bad, it seemed like a good idea at first. What lost me was not being 'allowed' to discuss politics when this election had SO much to do with women's issues. If we wanted to discuss them, it was Ok to do so in the LR, where 'douche' is acceptable. Hmmm.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Since almost all of your posts complain about the womens, why keep coming back? Just so you can complain more about it? Good on ya.

Quote | Reply
Did you knock someone up and are trying to be helpful? That's mighty sweet of you :-)

Or of course there are the theories that swimmy is actually a woman....so, now maybe preggo herself and seeking out advice. Congrats and good luck.
Quote Reply
Re: Pregnancy: How do you do it? [PirateGirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Did you knock someone up and are trying to be helpful? That's mighty sweet of you :-)

Or of course there are the theories that swimmy is actually a woman....so, now maybe preggo herself and seeking out advice. Congrats and good luck.
Oh crap! Do you know something I don't????????
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow. Give swimmy the benefit of the doubt until you have actual proof that he is being a dick. You can look at his post 2 ways and you chose the negative. I think he has been very well behaved.

I can't comment on pregnancy so I'll leave that one alone.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was pretty impressed at my last race of the year (Lobsterman), when I saw a guy I know from the local races - he qualified for Kona this year, actually. Thing that impressed me was that this time, he was the one watching the five kids while his wife raced. She finished in a very respectable 2:35ish, and this was only five months after giving birth to their most recent addition.

As far as I can tell, these two have superhuman time management skills.

-----
Over 4.5 years bike crash free.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well, we may have shot "women's intuition" into a whole 'nother level, eh? Don't listen to the broads bashing on ya, just play nice in the sandbox and those of us NOT PMS'ing or overly feminist will be ok with you.

And "not to be snarky", but isn't interesting how "douchy" that comment came off? Wonder why the women get a bad name? Chicks like you being overly sensitive about being asked a question that came off as legit. And as a side note (snarkiness intended), if we bashed and banned everyone that said a stupid, bitchy or otherwise crappy comment on here - women's or otherwise - we wouldn't even have a damn forum. If you lost your faith when we decided not to bitch and moan and offend everyone about politics - I don't think you'd offend anyone if you stopped posting.

If we had a dime for every time someone didn't "want" to do something, but succeeded in just that...we'd never have to drool over anyone else's toys or bikes.

And for another record - it's grammatically accepted in most languages that, when referring to something in plural that could include mixed company, it's usually the masculine pronouns that are used and referenced. Since some of the mens (lurking or otherwise) have womens that are equally amazing, the term "you guys" was acceptable.

AW
Quote Reply
Re: Pregnancy: How do you do it? [AWARE] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nice :D

Quote | Reply
Being able to stay active during pregnancy sounds great and I'm sure it helps. I had to have total bedrest during both of my pregnancies , 6 months of it with a computer chip on my abdomen. The doctor was automatically alerted if i tried to move ! Also, had to have major abdominal surgery during both pg's. A history of endurance experience certainly came in handy for surviving that, but that's another story.

I am replying not to whine about my own bad luck, but to assure you that even after all that I was able to come back relatively quickly into sports. In both cases, I did a marathon , about 45 min slower than pre-baby, within a year of giving birth. After I stopped nursing I was able to get back down to my original marathon pace but in the meantime it was wonderful just to be out there and jog some.

When my youngest went to nursery school I celebrated by training for IM :-)
(and then I found out what a *really slow marathon feels like, haha)..Rocky I am sure you will get back into it no problem, even if IM training is too time consuming straight away. Best of luck and enjoy.
Quote Reply
Re: Pregnancy: How do you do it? [WeRide] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Being able to stay active during pregnancy sounds great and I'm sure it helps. I had to have total bedrest during both of my pregnancies , 6 months of it with a computer chip on my abdomen. The doctor was automatically alerted if i tried to move ! Also, had to have major abdominal surgery during both pg's. A history of endurance experience certainly came in handy for surviving that, but that's another story.

I am replying not to whine about my own bad luck, but to assure you that even after all that I was able to come back relatively quickly into sports. In both cases, I did a marathon , about 45 min slower than pre-baby, within a year of giving birth. After I stopped nursing I was able to get back down to my original marathon pace but in the meantime it was wonderful just to be out there and jog some.

When my youngest went to nursery school I celebrated by training for IM :-)
(and then I found out what a *really slow marathon feels like, haha)..Rocky I am sure you will get back into it no problem, even if IM training is too time consuming straight away. Best of luck and enjoy.
Dude!

Oh, wait . . . what's a more gender-neutral expression I can use here?

-----
Over 4.5 years bike crash free.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Literature suggests that endurance athletes can benefit from pregnancy - I can't recall exactly the links but it's something hormone related, or maybe blood volume... pregnancy is a good thing... I remember reading on Gordo's site, in one of his articles, that "pregnancy is 9 months of rest and good nutrition" - always a good thing.

And staying active during pregnancy is actually a very healthy thing to do. Didn't Paula Radcliffe run like 12 mi a day during her pregnancy? Low volume for her maybe.

curious and searching Pubmed, found...

Scand J Med Sci Sports. 1997 Aug;7(4):226-8.Links
Pregnancy in endurance athletes.

Penttinen J, Erkkola R.
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Kuopio University Hospital, Finland.
The purpose of the present study was to examine pregnancy and delivery among Finnish endurance athletes at the national top level. A questionnaire concerning first pregnancy was sent to 30 Finnish endurance athletes who had been at national top level in cross-country skiing, running, speed-skating or orienteering. Data on labour were collected retrospectively through a questionnaire and from the diaries in the hospital concerned. The next primipara in the diaries formed a member of the control group. Twenty-three athletes (77%) had regular menstrual cycles, seven (23%) had irregularities, and four of them had received hormonal treatment for this. Seven athletes (23%) had experienced spontaneous abortion during the first trimester in previous pregnancy. Sixteen (53%) did not notice any change in their exercise performance, three (10%) subjectively felt themselves to be in a better physical condition, and seven (23%) felt themselves to be in a worse condition than before the pregnancy. Four did not respond on the question. After delivery, 18 athletes continued to compete, the median interval being 8.2 months (range 2-24 months). Two of them (11%) achieved a better condition than before the pregnancy, 11 (61%) reached the same level and five (28%) did not achieve the same performance level. There were no significant differences in labour parameters between the athletes and controls. Endurance training had no harmful side-effects on the pregnancies or deliveries of the athletes. The effect of pregnancy on exercise performance is individual.

This one states that staying active during pregnancy is a really good thing:
Am J Obstet Gynecol. 1990 Dec;163(6 Pt 1):1799-805.Links
The course of labor after endurance exercise during pregnancy.

Clapp JF 3rd.
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, University of Vermont College of Medicine, Burlington.
This study was designed to test the hypothesis that continuation of a regular running or aerobics program, or both, during the latter half of pregnancy would have a negative effect on the course and outcome of labor. The onset, course, and outcome of labor were independently monitored in 131 well-conditioned recreational athletes who had an uneventful first half of pregnancy. Daily exercise performance was quantitated before conception and throughout pregnancy. Comparisons were made between the 87 women who continued to exercise regularly at or above 50% of their preconceptional level throughout pregnancy and the 44 who discontinued their regular exercise regimen before the end of the first trimester. The incidence of preterm labor was similar in the two groups (9%). Labor began significantly earlier in the exercise group (277 +/- 6 vs 282 +/- 6 days). The women who continued to exercise had a lower incidence of abdominal (6% vs 30%) and vaginal (6% vs 20%) operative delivery, and active labor was shorter (264 +/- 149 vs 382 +/- 275 min) in those who were delivered vaginally. Finally, clinical evidence of acute fetal stress (meconium, fetal heart pattern, and Apgar score) was less frequent in the exercise group (50% vs 26%), although birth weight was reduced (3369 +/- 318 vs 3776 +/- 401 gm). These data negate the initial hypothesis and indicate that, in well-conditioned women who regularly perform aerobics or run, continuation of these exercise regimens has a beneficial effect on the course and outcome of labor.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Last edited by: tigerchik: Jan 1, 09 7:19
Quote Reply

Prev Next