Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Yeah!!! I've hurt my foot...Peroneus Brevis/Longus help....
Quote | Reply
Aight, in the time of the internet I think I've self diagnosed my injury. Background....

I'm training for my first Half Marathon & 4 weeks in. It is a pretty light program b/c I'm not a huge runner. I was running ~12 miles per week before starting the program & the program pretty much starts me off at that same distance. 3 runs...easy, tempo, long.

I'm on a recovery week now. I ran easy Monday & it is sore after I thought it was better. I'm skipping today. Doing the RICE technique as much as I can & trying to stay off it.

I assume taking the rest of the week off (3mi easy run today and 4 mi easy run Saturday) is probably smart. I'll stay off of it even if it "feels" OK Saturday.

So...the injury. My right foot hurts & is slightly swollen on the underneath outside part. No bones hurt on the top, it isn't tender to touch, just mainly hurts if I push off on it. The Peroneus Brevis/Longus is all I can find & the symptoms match what I'm having issues with & they claim it is a common runners injury.

So, outside of RICE what can I do. Is there any way I can strengthen it? Stretching exercises? I can't really find anything on the web outside of Ice & wrap it. Hoping there is something else.

TIA

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sponsors By:
MasterCard Credit Card
Visa Credit Card
Quote Reply
Re: Yeah!!! I've hurt my foot...Peroneus Brevis/Longus help.... [Tri Tiger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Run on soft surfaces and also trail running to vary the way your foot strikes. Intense deep tissue work on the calfs and peroneus helps, but mainly just delays future flare-ups. I have suffered through this in training for marathons and LC Du's. Your running style and center of balance can change overtime alleviating this problem, but till then, soft surfaces can delay the inevitable flare-up.

RG
Quote Reply
Re: Yeah!!! I've hurt my foot...Peroneus Brevis/Longus help.... [retro_grouch] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I thought about doing some of my easier runs on a tread mill. The impact is much lighter. I pretty much live downtown Atlanta, so I'm running on sidewalks & can't get on the street all that much. I don't mind running on a tread mill, it doesn't bore me like some. It doesn't seem to translate well for me. Maybe b/c I'm an inexperienced runner (my pacing is terrible). But running 3 mi at xx pace on a tread mill w/ the incline on 1 seems much easier than running the same pace outside.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sponsors By:
MasterCard Credit Card
Visa Credit Card
Quote Reply
Re: Yeah!!! I've hurt my foot...Peroneus Brevis/Longus help.... [Tri Tiger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Assuming you actually do have peroneal tendonitis (a common overuse training injury), now is not the time to "stretch" or strengthen. Rest is the hallmark for any acute tendonitis initially. Sure, ice it down, compression not really that helpful. Oral NSAID if you feel you need it.

If this occured from simply too much, too fast, etc. you can get back to running when ready. The peroneus longs is a stabilizer of the 1st ray, the brevis the main evertor of the foot - next is to figure what caused this (if not just the aforementioned training error). I doubt it was the concrete running as this is actually more common in trail runners since there is much more instability at each foot strike and the peroneals and posterior tibial tendons get a real workout stabilizing the foot. Most new trail runners learn this quickly with the "tired" ankle feeling.

Oh, almost forgot, another commonly overlooked issue in concrete/pavement runners is excessive heel wear on the shoe (if running slow or a hard heel striker). It should be worn out on the lateral side, but too much and this also works the peroneals to stabilize the rearfoot.