Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Do you keep track of what you eat? [texastrigal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've kept a detailed log of what I ate and counted the calories for about a single week and then decided it simply took too much time and effort! So, now I monitor my weight based on a scale and based on how my belt feels.
Quote Reply
Re: Do you keep track of what you eat? [njtrigirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wrote stuff down today - no calorie amounts (didnt' measure anything so how would I guess anyway?) just eating when I'm hungry. Haven't been obsessing. Feels nice :-)

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: Do you keep track of what you eat? [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good for you! Keep it up.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good for you TC.

Personally I just eat whatever, whenever. I used to be a bit obsessive regarding weighing myself, resting HR etc everyday etc. I stopped this when I took a year off racing due to illness. I will try and carbo load if there is a goal race at the weekend, but won't record intake. I've fortunate that I've not gone up a jean size since high school, although the belt is a notch or two looser. I will probably jump on a scale come February to check I'm still under 75 kilos.

I do have to keep a check on my coffee and chocolate intake though as I've got up to 3 bars of choc and 4 mugs a day.

"Here's how you run a marathon. Step 1: You start running. Step 2: There is no step 2." - Barney (How I Met Your Mother)
Quote Reply
Re: Do you keep track of what you eat? [neil_laing] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks. It's a work in progress. Yesterday I didn't have time through the day to write stuff down and I got to the end of the day and debated, write it down or no... compulsion got the better of me and I did. But I managed to not write down/add up calories!

I've had a rough week of school, not gotten much sleep, and when I am over tired I freak out more than usual over eating related things, I go right back to the 'stupid anorexic things I do' symptoms. Talked about that in therapy last night, how it's my "default" for coping with stress.

Happy to have a guy chime in on this BTW, I think females are far more obsessive over what we eat and we're more likely to keep track (and stress over it!). just an opinion. Do any other of the men lurking in the womens forum want to chime in :-)

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

Happy to have a guy chime in on this BTW, I think females are far more obsessive over what we eat and we're more likely to keep track (and stress over it!). just an opinion. Do any other of the men lurking in the womens forum want to chime in :-)

I think triathletes in general are prone to eating dissorders in general. Reading the main forum and this one blows my mind someone about how obessive people are (Not pointing figures and or judging etc). It looks like your taking a step in the right direction, I used to worry about what I ate etc, but now I eat what I want within reason and never feel guilty about eating a brownie or cookie or both. Life is wayy too short to stress over "minor details". I've become a foodie and try new restraunts every weekend If I can. Food should be an exciting thing not a prison of sorts. But keep it up, being free of anything that binds us is an awesome thing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Post #6, i'm male. And seem to be as obsessive as anyone else who's posted:)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Talk about irony, just saw this while I got on my computer to go to http://www.fitday.com to log my dinner and 3 cookies I had for dessert.

I put in a best effort level for what I eat, plus I use it to log exercise and I get a guess as to my calorie balance for the day/week. I tend to take at least one weekend day off.

If hardcore journaling of what you eat causes you stress, go for something that is in the same vein but less stringent. I think something like a log/journal where you put +'s and -'s for the overall health of the food. +1 for veggies, -1 for french fries, etc. Do that for a week or two, then try and have a +5/-1 ratio or something?
Quote Reply
Re: Do you keep track of what you eat? [Tridiot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yesterday I did not:

measure anything
write down any food log
add up calories at all

We even went out to eat (which was stressful for me but for other reasons than the food itself... had more to do with my dad being snappy with me all day, and my just not wanting to go out as a family!) and I had dinner and dessert.

just wanted to share, is rare for me to have a day w/o anxiety around eating, and being ok with not writing stuff down or adding up calories!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
HUGE!

Smile

Here I was about to write that I'm starting to record again. Since I've been running regularly my appitite is picking up. Consequently I'm overeating and put on weight the last 2 week. Damn.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

I absolutely obsess over what i eat. I may not have an eating disorder, but I definitely have issues. No one in their right mind would call me fat, but I still look in the mirror and think, just another 10 pounds.

I have never been able to actually keep up with writing it down, only because I genuinely beleive it would make me obsess even more.

I took a lot of flack for being a "the fat kid" when I was young(er).

===============
Proud member of the MSF (Maple Syrup Mafia)
Quote Reply
Re: Do you keep track of what you eat? [CaptainCanada] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I absolutely obsess over what i eat. I may not have an eating disorder, but I definitely have issues.

There is a whole spectrum of disordered eating to eating disorder, and none of the ways they're clinically diagnosed are all that great, either. I "technically" do not have an eating disorder - I don't even fit the EDNOS criteria. Which is in some ways a happy thing and in other ways, absolute ly ridiculous, as I have a constellation of symptoms but they don't occur enough to be classified as anything. I fall under the "disordered eating" category. And some of that, my therapist believes is anxiety or obsessive compulsion that manifests itself in food/eating issues... for instance, I have some odd "need" for certain orders, colors, and things that "match" with food still. As an example, if you gave me two different flavors of yogurt... I would have to figure out which one to eat first, and that decision is based on their color and how it matches / lines up with whatever else I've eaten for that day. Another "order" thing is if you cut toast into triangles which part are you supposed to eat first - the piece with the top of the crust or the bottom? These my therapist thinks are not too "disordered" as for something to be a disorder it has to interfere with your life significantly... both of these things used to cause a lot of stress for me, now I still think about them but it doesn't cause as much anxiety. It is purely some manifestation of obsessive compulsion. That said, there are certainly a whole bunch of eating disordered symptoms I cling to that are very much out of fear of gaining weight and getting fat - and those range from disordered eating to true eating disorder.

Maybe I'm just plain neurotic ;-)

Quote Reply
Re: Do you keep track of what you eat? [JenHS] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Since I've been running regularly my appitite is picking up

swimming is always the worst for me in terms of hunger, running kind of kills my appetite. But after an hour+ of shivvering in the pool all I want to do is eat.

Today I wrote stuff down, but didn't measure anything, and have no idea of calories. Only one anxiety-thing. And I had 3 new 'foods' - crackers, popcorn, glass of wine (the last an experiment to see if it helps me sleep!)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"swimming is always the worst for me in terms of hunger, running kind of kills my appetite. But after an hour+ of shivvering in the pool all I want to do is eat"

Me too! When I run a lot, I am not that hungry. But swimming...I barely swam today and the showers were cold at the pool and I was soooo hungry.

About your post above with the colors. I find that interesting. I used to eat fruit loops and would eat all the colors one at a time--orange, purple, then yellow, green, red. I don't know if that was just a way to slow my eating process or what. I don't do that any more (no more fruit loops anyway...) but I'm curious if I follow any patterns.

Quote Reply
Re: Do you keep track of what you eat? [njtrigirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Froot Loops were always a treat for me when I was little - my mom would rarely buy sugary cereals but Froot Loops and Oreo Os on occasion, yum!

When I was little, I would pick sandwiches apart and eat all the veggies, cheese, and bread individually. That was long before the eating disorder developed, and I don't remember *why* I did it... I guess for some reason I just didn't like to eat the sandwich all together. I'll eat them "whole" now.

it is just hard to figure out sometimes, is this one of the stupid anorexic things I do, a non-invasive 'quirk,' or driven by obsessive compulsion.

Quote Reply

Prev Next