Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Since it's the holidays - let's talk shopping
Quote | Reply
As many of you know, I run a small business (not related to the triathlon industry). In drawing up company goals for 2009 I want to increase our retail sales which, since we don't have a storefront, would all be done online. I'd love to get your thoughts on what makes for a positive - or even better - extraordinary! - online shopping experience. I know that half the battle is getting customers to my site but for those who do make it and place an order, I want to WOW them so that they'll remember us and maybe even tell friends and family.

Anything that you've experienced and really made a positive impact on you I'd love to hear about. Thanks!

http://smallfoodbiz.com
</blatent self-marketing>
Quote Reply
Re: Since it's the holidays - let's talk shopping [lilpups] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm not sure if this is feasible for a small buisness owner, but Zappo's shipping speed/free shipping 'upgrades' really make me happy :-) I get a warm and fuzzy feeling when items I have ordered and am excited about arrive sooner than expected.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here's a few items that help avoid my having a negative experience -

- tell me if you actually have the product in stock at that moment so I don't have to order only to find out later that the item is backordered. At this point, you have my money (or at least my credit card info), and I have to either cancel or wait too long (especially if it's a gift), and possibly still have to scramble to find a substitute.

Send me some confirmation that you have processed the order, again when you ship it, and if possible a tracking number.

I don't know what you sell, but the most critical and frequent tasks (finding a product, paying for it, and arranging delivery) ought to be the simplest to do; everything else (reviews, vendor info, etc.) is secondary in my opinion.

Chris
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree with the above 2 posts.

My .02:

I love the fact that Old Navy charges $5.00 for shipping no matter how much you buy. This only entices me to buy more than I originally would have.

The ability to ship back to seller for free and obtain a refund or credit, not just a credit to the store. I'm taking a gamble buying online, I want ease of return, and not to feel like I'm stuck with a credit.

I understand that you are a small business, and these might not be feasible as was said before, but that is what helps me to want to buy online.

I agree Zappos has online purchasing down to a tee. Part of the reason they are so successful is their SUPER fast shipping and very easy return policy. I've heard it over and over.

Come crawling faster
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Allow me to store my info, create an account. Having to re-enter my address and info is a total PITA.

There was a company I used to order from that had great packaging in the box. Nice tissue paper, made it fun to open it.

Thank you notes are huge too. You could spend time personally signing pre-printed ones while hanging out. Always have them on hand and pop them in a box.

I like feeling like the person really appreciates my business and personalizes it.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Re: Since it's the holidays - let's talk shopping [JenHS] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
what also makes it fun to open is the inclusion of little freebies/sample sizes....nice surprise and makes me inclined to order again.
Quote Reply
Re: Since it's the holidays - let's talk shopping [kbee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks everyone - I really appreciate the insight. You all are right that not everything is possible to do with a small business but I need to 'think' and 'act' (as much as possible) like a big business. I already do some of the stuff mentioned here and will definitely see how/if the rest can get worked in.

I really appreciate the help. More ideas are welcome!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I like having a really simple user interface for purchasing. I hate how Active asks 3+ pages worth of information before you can confirm purchase. Don't ask me for a customer survey as I'm checking out! Include the simple stuff like a checkbox if the mailing address is the same as the billing address, then automatically copy and paste the information. Make it simple to go back and review the order before confirming the purchase. I know everyone's monitors are different, but try and fit each page of the check out on one single screen (I use a laptop and don't want to keep switching b/t the mouse and the key board to enter information and scroll).

I don't know anything about your products/store, but I like how TriSports gives you the option to use recycled/reused boxes or packing material. Its a really small element of the order, but I like knowing that they aren't wasting another box to send me a pair of goggles.

Include a simple, sturdy "contact info" thing in the packages (magnets, index card, that type of thing). If I have a problem with the order, I will want to have the contact info readily available. This sort of doubles as the "thank you card" that someone else mentioned.

~Rebecca
Quote Reply
Re: Since it's the holidays - let's talk shopping [FeS] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks! We actually do use a lot of recycled or recyclable packaging material but it might be worth it to include a small note about it in the box since, as you mentioned, it's an important fact to many people.

Great ideas - keep 'em coming!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ever thought about doing gourmet kitty treats too? I know I would be spending WAY more if you did! :) (because MORE stuff on your plate is just what you need, right? hehe)

Quote | Reply
As much as you act like a big business, don't forget to still be personable and approachable.

I just ordered a Road ID as a gift, and I was impressed how much emphasis they put on the fact you can contact the owners easily. I think they mention it on the web site and then you get an email that includes their email addresses. I hadn't looked at their web site in several years and when I returned it was obvious they'd grown a lot. But this still made them very approachable.

Often, people want the service of a big company but want to be able to help out and support a small one.

----
Suffering on the the bike is always more fun than suffering on the run.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Notes are cool. Stickers are cool too! I ordered something from backcountry.com and got a nice little goat logo sticker. And Performance Cycling sent me a free men's 'schick titanium' razor.

I needed some stuff from sephora the other day and the email I got from them had a discount code i could use to get some free lip gloss stuff. And then I ordered over $50, so I got free shipping (updated to 2-day priority too!). then, i got to pick out 3 free samples. and THEN since i had purchased over $100 with them online in my entire history, i got a large size bottle of an expensive moisturizer free, too. In the end, I got about as much free stuff as I did paid-for stuff.
Quote Reply