Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Evaluating 2008...
Quote | Reply
I thought this handy to think about my year, and think I got it from someone on here at some point. Started writing mine and got curious if others wanted to play along in here....

-What one word describes your 2008 season? Does it match what you said last December in anticipation of this year?
Epic. My season far exceeded any thoughts I had at the beginning of the year.

-What one word comes to mind when you think about your 2009 season?
Refinement.

-Did you race any new distance this year or try any new type of racing or sport?
Silverman - a category of it's own. Does it count as a new type of racing or an entirely new sport? Hail-dodging? Wind-fighting?

-What was your greatest thrill or joy this year from training or racing?
Learning that I can overcome. I can keep running, and I can learn to enjoy running (kind of). I can do anything I put my mind to.

-What was your biggest disappointment this year from training or racing?
Continually finding (being followed) by bad weather. Also see: greatest thrill/joy.

-What was your favorite race in 2008?
Silverman. An accomplishment, a day and a story that no one can ever undo or take away. Overcoming, enduring and living in the moment to enjoy the rainbow (literally) at the end of the storm at the top of the hill.

AW
Last edited by: AWARE: Dec 15, 08 14:05
Quote Reply
Re: Evaluating 2008... [AWARE] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hmmm, those questions look very familiar!

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: Evaluating 2008... [trackie clm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, I totally think I stole them from you...or someone...I came across it today in a .doc as I was looking through my "race" file and trying to figure up 09....need to do some soul-searching from this year....they really help me - each time I look at them my answers are different...I have 3 versions saved now over the course of this year.

Either way...I'm ripping off someone totally smart....=)

AW
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
-What one word describes your 2008 season? Does it match what you said last December in anticipation of this year?

I don't remember what I said in December about this upcoming year. I am not sure I thought about it too much, as long term planning is very hard for me. Actually I kind of suck at short term planning too :P

Oh - my one work - SUCCESSFUL! I won half my road races, 1 tri, had a bunch of PRs. And stayed HEALTHY for the most part which is an even bigger deal.

Winning...

-Did you race any new distance this year or try any new type of racing or sport?
I raced my first standalone 10k, that was the only new one.

My first road race win
My first tri win
Running a 1:40 half marathon off the bike at Patriot and not getting passed by anyone... that was the best I've ever felt running I think.

Didn't have any disappointments, I had a really really good season.

Patriot HIM

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Last edited by: tigerchik: Dec 15, 08 17:25
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ha ha. Yeah, me. I was just thinking about them over the weekend. I have one more race next weekend, then I'll do my responses.

clm

clm
Nashville, TN
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good questions. I'll think about them for a couple days then get back to you.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Success.

Play.

New to Ironman distance. Also learned orienteering.

Long, long rides exploring new country roads and towns.

Training: Spending too much time alone. The longer the distance, the fewer my training partners.
Racing: Tire blowing into pieces, ending my race at Auburn.

Ironman Canada. Peak experience, equaled by just a precious few others in my lifetime.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Unlucky. It definitely was not what I expected out of the season! I had a crash in a tri (totally not my fault!), a flat tire, hypothermia (A race #1), got straight jacketed into my wetsuit (this was just damn funny), asthma attack (A race #2), I'm probably forgetting something here...some of this is not just bad luck I suppose...

Fun. I plan to do some new races, race fast and have a big smile on my face the whole time

I did swim meets for the first time ever and even raced the backstroke and IM! I also did an adventure race!

Improving so much on the swim and trying so many new things that I thought I could never do.

Seeing how much I was letting other people affect my training/racing.

Black Bear Sprint Tri--It is a beautiful and challenging course, the race is very well run, it isn't too far from me, I raced well in all 3 disciplines, I had fun, the weather was gorgeous that day, and I had great friends there with me.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Satisfying. Not sure, don't remember!

Pressure (gotta beat myself!!)

No new distances or new sports....same ole, same ole.

I've got alot more in me than I thought I did...I can push myself harder, faster, stronger and longer than I ever anticipated! Uh oh!

Season had to end :(

Gracious...that is a toughie... um...Florida Challenge probably...deciding to do it Thursday night at 8:30pm before the race on Saturday...driving down at random and having a blast!!! I had fun at all my races this year! Macon, Buster Britton, Chattanooga, Mountain Lakes, Austin 70.3, Florida Challenge.... I had a ton of fun training too thanks to some great training buddies!!! Ahh...2008!!

Tiger for Life -- War Eagle!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Awesome! This was in some was one of my best season ever ...Can't remember what I said last year!!!

Epic! Wanna try to make this next season absolutely epic with more races and hopefully more success!

70.3 was new to me ... I found out that training for the 70.3 distance goes well with my usual Xterra training ...and it's not as painful as Ironman!

First: 2h30 PR at Ironman Arizona (went from 13:33:53 in 2007 to 11:03:12 in Nov 2008).
Second: first ever overall win at XTC Vancouver! Never had the honor before of being the first female to cross a finish line (and a 15 minute PR in this short course off road tri)
Third: This epic ride: http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...ng=whistler;#1937564 which was absolutely insane ...

Coming short of qualifying for Xterra World Champs & Kona by just a few minutes ...

I loved them all!

my support:

Pacific Multisport
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rest. This was a year off from big races for me after doing IMLP in 2007. Last December I was thinking of doing a fall marathon in 2008, but decided to back off that goal midway through the year since I wasn't doing enough run volume.

Faster - 2009 is going to be about getting faster at distances I can already do.

Did a series of trail races which were fun, but not something I can get really excited about.

This year was a real down year as far as volume of training and racing. Probably the best thing is the new found strength I have with my new conditioning routine that I'm working on now.

Not having enough motivation to do a fall marathon.

Didn't really have one since I didn't do any tris and I only did a few trail races.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

Failure - No.
Sex

No

Nothing comes to mind.

Not winning IMLOU

Atomic Man Half
Quote Reply
Re: Evaluating 2008... [BeeHunter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nope. I wanted to really do well at Lake Placid, and the cold rain followed me, and I just didn't have a good race day. My two attempts at running the whole marathon didn't really happen.

Improvement. I want to lay it all out on the line for the 70.3 distance.

No

I won the state championship for "C Women" cyclocross this year. It was the first time I have ever won a race.

Being very very far from my goal at IM Lake Placid. Being bummed my IMLP bike mph ave was 3 mph slower than any training ride.

Dances with Dirt. I got the shortest mileage (it's a relay) and I was in super shape for it!
Quote Reply
Re: Evaluating 2008... [determination] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did you do the DWD in Hell?

AW
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
thanks Cathy ;-) and AWARE, this is a useful exercise..

short.. no, life got in the way. I'd planned to attempt qualification for LC Worlds in Las Vegas, but ran out of time money and energy.

Rest.. last year in the AG, going to try more going long instead of racing myself crosseyed at the shorter distances.

first half, 5430.

still here in the sun wind and rain, still moving.

not going to the LV race - would probably have gotten the qualifier even after everything else. Oh well.

Didn't have any good races, but the 5430 was a fine race - scenic course, well organized, excellent beer at the finish.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Renewal: I had no expectations last December. I had no expectations the December before that. I've been burned out for 3 years. During the past three months, though, the desire to train and race has been rekindled ...I can't wait for 2009 :-)

Determination.

I did not race at all.

After spending three years as a sick person, my body is finally on the mend ...I will be an athlete once again.

I realized exactly what kind of 'shape' I am in after three years as a bum ...figuring out how to run again is going to HURT.

Well, technically I didn't race ...but I went to St. Pete to cheer on my dad's 20th running of St. Anthony's. I absolutely love the atmosphere of the whole weekend :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

CHANGE

Last year I said:
Excited. A new team, trying bike racing, writing my own schedule (with the coach's oversight). Should be interesting.

REVERT or CONSISTENT
Both came to mind about the same time.
Revert back to more training. Add back running, some swimming too.
Consistency I let lapse. I'd train well for a bit, then not.

That's ALL I did! I did my first ever road bike racing--crits, road races, even a stage race. Then there was the track. I think I rode my tri bike about 3 times all year and the two races I did on it were individual cycling TTs, not a tri.

Finding my true love--the velodrome!

For actual racing? Two different occasions. The first was a Friday night in August at the track when it was the fast girls and me and I rode so hard I thought my eyeballs would pop. I got dropped, but I'd jump right back in and try to hang a little longer each time. It was a great learning experience.

The other was the last day of Track Masters Nationals when Donna and I got 3rd in the Team Sprint and taking 4 seconds off our previous time. The entire Masters experience was pretty damned fun.

Not being as fit or trained or prepared as I should have been. The first road race was a big bummer for me since I didn't have the hard miles in my legs and I didn't really know about this bike racing thing. I was ready to give it (bike racing) up right then and there. Glad I stuck it out.

I also really missed having a coach. But since the year was about trying new things, I definitely think I can say the year was a success.

The Wednesday and Friday night races at the track. Wednesday was more casual, but you got to race multiple times. Fridays were a bigger deal and a little more high profile with a crowd watching and food and drink. But both were very fun and almost always involved driving down and back with teammates and a trip to the taco truck afterwards. The Madera Stage Race weekend was also fun. The actual racing was maybe not so fun, but the trip was great.

clm

clm
Nashville, TN
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What one word describes your 2008 season? Does it match what you said last December in anticipation of this year?
compromise. in 2008, i left colorado to begin a high-pressure job with a bay area startup company. i raced 5 adventure races, including primal quest, and tried to also give a go at kona. i learned that i am not immortal, and that life stress should not be underestimated. one can function, sort of thrive at many things, but to truly perform to your limits, you need to pare it down, keep life simple and focus. sometimes life gets in the way of performing to one's limits. and that's okay. i don't make my money at this sport.
What one word comes to mind when you think about your 2009 season?
Focus. i cannot do AR, triathlon AND work a high pressure job. triathlon is my sanity, so that is my focus next year.
Did you race any new distance this year or try any new type of racing or sport?
I was a pacer at the Leadville 100 trail run. I've never "crewed" before.
What was your greatest thrill or joy this year from training or racing?
I saw a lot of beautiful wild flowers this year. I've seen a million species of lupines in many different states, most of them on amazing mountain tops. I never knew what a lupine was until this year.
What was your biggest disappointment this year from training or racing?
Kona. I didn't expect to do very well in my AG, but I wanted to do well relative to ME. With PQ recovery and life, I just couldn't do the kind of training that would have gotten me this result.
What was your favorite race in 2008?
I did a 30 minute orienteering race in Los Gatos, after riding my bike for 3 hours. It was so fun, short, and there is some weird chemical surge in the brain that i experience every time I successfully find one of those darn orange-and-white control flags.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
laid back - after an intense 2007 I wanted 2008 to be fun and it was for the most part

Participate - not race. I'm just now starting to rehab a very badly broken leg so I need to remember that I need to be happy with "participating" in races in 2009 rather than necessarily racing. Listen to my body and if the leg hurts then stop/slow down/walk.

Rediscovered Olympics which are great fun and the swim is more equivelent to the rest of the distances. Actually went hiking/camping again which I used to do a ton of...and ended up with the broken leg (but loved every other minute of it)

Had an incredible run at one race which was the first time I was ever really able to power through the "uglies" and just keep going - at a decent clip too!

broken leg - upset at how far it has set me back after several consistent years of working on my weaknesses (biking & running). Had planned to really work my run this Fall which obviously isn't happening.

Lake Stevens - might well be my last half IM for a while as I'm likely not doing any of that distance in 2009. Raced it with my better half and saw a ton of friends out on the course. It was just fun all around.

http://smallfoodbiz.com
</blatent self-marketing>
Quote Reply
Re: Evaluating 2008... [imsquared] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I hear you on the Orienteering...when you are moving fast off trail in the woods..crest the hill and look down into a reentrant expecting to see that flag....and you do!.....damn that feels good.......sometimes I just have to say out loud" "Nailed it!"

If people are bored with running or want a new adventurous challenge that uses your running skill I highly recommend Orienteering, which can lead to Adventure Racing...

I am 50, been doing Triathlons for 24 years and my run is getting understandably slower but I have been improving my Orienteering performances by improving my navigation and route picking skill....if you think trail running is the shits, try going as fast as you can off trail, leaping and ducking, all while reading a map and the terrain and using the compass.....

Its not for everyone bu if you like adventure....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yep - DWD in Hell. My third time participating as a runner. Last year I was a volunteer and loved it too.
Quote Reply