Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Iron Deficiency Anyone?
Quote | Reply
I posted this on the main forum too, but I thought there's got to be another gal out there with the same prob!

I've diagnosed myself (dangerous I know!) from the internet with an iron deficiency. I'm female, vegetarian which are two of the major risk factors. My symptoms are fatigue, low blood pressure that I notice when moving from sitting to standing (my vision gets blurry), and trouble sleeping even after days of intense training.

Reading up on this it looks like there are several options like being more consistent taking my multivitamin which contains 100% dv of iron, and eating more beans, leafy greens, etc.

What I was wondering is if there is anyone who has had this problem and can give me some advice? Also, I'm wondering how long it will take to turn this baby around and start feeling better?

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Iron Deficiency Anyone? [Minneapolete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
here I go again,
GO TO A DOCTOR.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have had all the same symptoms as you in the past (even so far as getting light headed and passing out at physio!) and was not iron deficient. Go to a doctor and get blood tests!

Quote | Reply
Agreed. Get yourself to a doctor ASAP. He/She can confirm the iron deficiency with a simple bloodtest and can give you some advice on rectifying it. There's a whole host of other issues that it could be - some serious, some not so serious - but you won't know until you see a doctor.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
iron deficiency has very similar symptoms to B12 deficiency (common in vegetarians also) and folic acid deficiency...echoing everyone else: you'll only know for sure with a blood test.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Make that 3 risk factors if you are an endurance athlete.

I am also all 3 of those things and was formally DX'd with anemia about 6 weeks ago. I would also concur that it is better just to see the doc, get your blood tested so you know what you're dealing with. What if .....you are profoundly anemic and need IV infusion to get better? You'd be wasting all this time with the iron tabs. Conversely what if it's not anemia at all...that one I can't imagine but still. It's a simple visit, you don't even need to undress for it.

I started feeling better within about a month. I talked to the doc, did research and also consulted a friend who is an RD. I found out that I have been most likely blocking my iron absorption by my diet choices...in an attempt to get protein and calcium, choosing dairy and soy both of which have components that block iron absorption. I am getting a re-test soon to see if my new strategies are working. Good luck.
Quote Reply
Re: Iron Deficiency Anyone? [WeRide] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
re: dairy and soy - Ca blocking Fe absorption.

I was under the impression that they only interfere with each other when eaten together - ie, spinach salad with feta cheese. Yes, no? Can you elaborate on what you were told?

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: Iron Deficiency Anyone? [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, you are exactly right. For example taking my multi + iron along with a breakfast of cereal + milk.

Except as a veg it is hard to find protein choices (esp in a nut free, gluten free household like the one I reside in), and I didn't realize how often I was falling back on dairy as the base of a meal. Now I am trying to do at least one meal a day that doesn't include dairy or another major calcium source, and schedule the vitamins accordingly.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I know a woman who had that problem and had to have a blood transfusion right away. Like others have said, go see a doctor.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm supposing you have a gut feeling that something is wrong. Go to your doctor and get full blood tests done. This will give tons of info about what is going on and if any treatment is required.
I'm am vegetarian, female, do endurance sports and got iron deficiency anaemia. Not fun. It has taken over a year to get back to and hold on to normal iron levels. I had to take high dose iron tablets, be vigilant with my diet and have my iron levels monitored.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Go see the doc. Get tested. Then get a plan.

Yes, I've been there. Last spring, I was severely anemic. Once I got on iron, it took about 2-3 weeks to turn around. Now, I just take a prescription supplement daily and seem to be better. I'm on "Tandem". It's a lot easier on my stomach than iron tablets.

Again, go to the doc. Get a blood test. It's quick and will confirm/rule out if it's possibly something else.
Quote Reply
Re: Iron Deficiency Anyone? [Nemostrin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I take Tandem too. It's been the best, by far!
Quote Reply
Re: Iron Deficiency Anyone? [austin79] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm slightly iron deficient, and I find a prenatal multivitamin works well for me.
Quote Reply
Re: Iron Deficiency Anyone? [Nemostrin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is tandem both iron and vitamin C? I'm taking the nature's gate stuff right now and it works really great but I would love to only have to take one pill instead of two.

my severely neglected blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Or go donate blood for a free iron/hemoglobin test.

I thought I fit iron deficiency symtoms/risks too but I donated 1st time monday(they reject you if you're too low so I was good) and I actually feel less tired since loosing the blood. Ok so I almost passed out when she stuck me. But I did geyser out and get blood on my shirt. I guess that wasn't supposed to happen and she was explaining something about the pressure she put in the cuff because I had good vains and to put my arm straight out so they could recline me and put the wet cloths on. I heard everything but had a hard time understanding it while fighting the dizzyness( put which arm out? out to my side or out in front) I quickly felt better and the rest went smoothly.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did you go to your doctor and get blood tests?
Quote Reply
Re: Iron Deficiency Anyone? [janini9] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
After reading a response by Tigerchik I was pretty sure that it was a calorie issue and not an iron deficiency. In an attempt to shed lbs over the winter instead of adding them, I was taking in as few as 1300 a day in combination with around 1-2 hours moderate workouts 6x a week burning from 500-800 cals...turns out that most likely I was just running out of gas. I've made sure that I'm not going below 1500 a day now, but try to stay below 1800-2000. That seems to be working as my energy levels seem back up to normal and I'm not experiencing the fatigue I was.

There is definitely a fine line when you are trying to loose weight and still be getting quality workouts in.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Glad that eating more is helping. 1800-2000 still may be too low, just as an FYI.

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
+1 to what tc said. 1800-2000 does still seem low. Fwiw, my RD just "prescribed" me ~2500 calories/day for weight loss and I'm doing about the same level of exercise as you.

Quote | Reply
two summers ago I had a very low iron count- and my body fat was about 9%. I was just very lean and training a ton. Now for a variety of reasons I'm not at all happy about I'm up ten pounds, don't know my bodyfat but I'm sure its much more normal. Just had my bloodwork done and my iron is normal. My nutrition is not at all different. I think its just back then I was training a lot and not eating enough of the essentials.
Quote Reply
Re: Iron Deficiency Anyone? [D!] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
+1 to what tc said. 1800-2000 does still seem low. Fwiw, my RD just "prescribed" me ~2500 calories/day for weight loss and I'm doing about the same level of exercise as you.

Link to an article one of my running friends posted awhile ago:
http://www.edenathletics.com/node/4773
"Female Athletes Focus Just on Weight Loss"

just happened to think of it re-reading this thread.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
k, I'm with everyone else...see your primary doc and get some blood work done. I am have chronic anemia more or less due to blood loss...don't need to say more. I told my doc I run alot, do alot of endurance activity, but he says anemia is primarily from actual blood loss. So, maybe a trip to your GYN is in order? That is if you aren't prone to GI bleeds or any other internal/external bleeding factors. I take iron, not as much as I'm s'posed to, cuz it makes me nauseious, but as much as I can stand. More than likely your doc will want you to repeat blood work every 3 months or so. Get checked out, make sure it isn't thyroid issues or something else besides anemia.

N~
Quote Reply