Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Mark Allen Nike Ad
Quote | Reply
I recently adopted the signature line below, I seem to go through them fairly quickly. A younger STer thought I made it up.

Anyone have a copy of the ad that he/she can scan in and post? I once had it cut out and hanging on my wall, then in about 1994 was in a poster shop in Cambridge Side Galleria (I have no recollection why) and found it poster size, score! Framed it, and hung it on my wall right next to my Bridgestone RB-1, until some serial arsonist decided to light my place on fire.

Thanks!

Quote | Reply
http://www.ioffer.com/i/78403476

not sure if this is what you were refering to.
Quote Reply
Re: Mark Allen Nike Ad [BigBoy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had the same poster on my wall and use that phrase when getting people ready for races.

The marketing guys at Nike (Well, Weiden and Kennedy) sure knew how to turn a phrase.

Bob
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
A younger STer thought I made it up.

You could've told me you did, and gotten credit in my mind for coming up with a brilliant sig line! I'd have been none the wiser.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: Mark Allen Nike Ad [PlacidPirate108] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Can anyone read the really small print on those? I want to know what they say!!!

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: Mark Allen Nike Ad [PlacidPirate108] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cool, but no. Thanks.

The ad I'm referring to had Mark Allen at speed on what I recall as a white Kestrel at Kona. It was a panned shot, so it looked like he was really MOVING.

Quote | Reply
"Eat right, train hard, and avoid televsion and people with bad attitudes" - Scott Tinley

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This was back in the days of the Nike BRS clothing line, which, along with ST as in Scott Tinley, may have been the original tri specific clothing line. Mark Allen wore Nike BRS (which alternately stood for "Bike, Run, Swim and Blue Ribbon Sports- Nike's original name) back then. I still have one of the singlets that I put on in training for (very) old time sake. :0

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: Mark Allen Nike Ad [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have been trying to figure that out! I keep trying to enlarge it but have not been able to.

P.S. I am in total agreement with your sig line. For some odd reason we have not had any snow yet...however the salt trucks didnt get the memo.
Quote Reply
Re: Mark Allen Nike Ad [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
This was back in the days of the Nike BRS clothing line, which, along with ST as in Scott Tinley, may have been the original tri specific clothing line. Mark Allen wore Nike BRS (which alternately stood for "Bike, Run, Swim and Blue Ribbon Sports- Nike's original name) back then. I still have one of the singlets that I put on in training for (very) old time sake. :0
How about those Saucony Azura ST? I don't think any other triathlete had a shoe named after him/her, although Dave Scott had his on line of bikes, the Centurion Ironman Dave Scott.
Quote Reply
Re: Mark Allen Nike Ad [OC Ben] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
How about those Saucony Azura ST? I don't think any other triathlete had a shoe named after him/her, although Dave Scott had his on line of bikes, the Centurion Ironman Dave Scott.[/quote] towards the end of his career LOOK had a mark allen signature bike. if i recall correctly, it was the bike that had the original ergostem on it. also, didn't nishiki have a kenny souza edition NFS altron? i had a pair of avia high top running shoes with built-in gators called the Kenny Souza Scramble that were made for a scramble-type race in san jose in the early 90's.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
Michael in Fresno
"Do you spend time with your family? Good. Because a man that doesn't spend time with his family can never be a real man" V. Corleone
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
another good one was the aerial view of the bunch sprint in a bike race with the text that read, "WHY YES...AS A MATTER OF FACT I DO OWN THE ROAD"

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
Michael in Fresno
"Do you spend time with your family? Good. Because a man that doesn't spend time with his family can never be a real man" V. Corleone
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A long time ago I saw a nike tshirt with those exact words....pretty cool.

While we are in the look for past adds. A long time ago I saw a poster (I think it was power bar). With a shot of Peter Reid (I think), on the aero position, taken from the front, I think black and white, and it had written something like "people wonder what do we look at for X hours of cycling...." and then it says something like "we are looking inside us"...
It was a long time ago, so I don't know the exact add, but if someone knows where can I find it, I would really appreciate it.
Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Mark Allen Nike Ad [QuadsofFURY] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Resurrecting this thread. Did you ever find this image? I just saw it in someone's bike torture chamber as I was scrolling through The Book of Sufferfest.
Quote Reply
Re: Mark Allen Nike Ad [Tribato] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They used to have a Kenny Souza Scramble type race off of Middle Fork Road in Boulder by Kenny's old house. Straight up the mountain. I remember pictures in either Inside Triathlon or Triathlete Magazine. There used to be a "Triathlon Today" mag as well, I think Lew Kidder's mag?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That white Kestrel was the original Kestrel 4000. It had a little frame cracking issue. Kestrel used to make THE very best carbon forks. If you had a Kestrel fork back then, it was like having an SRM when power meters came out.
Quote Reply
Re: Mark Allen Nike Ad [MSUtri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I gave up. However, just posted something on Nike's Facebook page. Not sure if I'll get a response. Kinda sucked that I had to "Like" them to post, but oh well.

Quote | Reply
While we're at it...I remember a Nike ad in 1996 with the guy that won the Marathon Trials (Sorry, I'm too lazy to google his name) puking mid race...There was text too, but I don't remember what it said. Anyone else remember it?
Quote Reply
Re: Mark Allen Nike Ad [splinterhead] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bob Kempainen...I looked it up.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
not the best, but:

http://www.dpvintageposters.com/...mage-450-550-fit.jpg

Edit: actually, it looks like you can actually buy the sucker for $65. Go to that site's homepage, type in "Nike" in the search and the poster will pop up.
Last edited by: jamlo: Aug 9, 11 16:31
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I know the poster you are talking about and I have the original t-shirt from the late 1980's in the next room. What I would have given for some of the Nike BRS tri line back around 1988 or so!
Quote Reply
Re: Mark Allen Nike Ad [jamlo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had that exact Bell helmet with the same Lycra cover. Damn I'm old and was apparently as fashion challenged as everyone else back then.

Suffer Well.
Quote Reply
Re: Mark Allen Nike Ad [jmh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Re: Mark Allen Nike Ad [415brian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Okay, I actually had that one--got it in Chicago Sun Times Tri, and had Mark Allen sign it himself. I had Dave Scott sign a poster of himself too. I held onto them a few years & then cleaned my closet & tossed them both out. Figured they were people too after I got to know them a little bit--not demigods to be worshiped. There isn't much that makes them more super human than any of us. They just maxed out their ability more than the rest of us. Anyhow, it's landfill somewhere...
Quote Reply
Re: Mark Allen Nike Ad [415brian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Got one to need to break it out a hang it in the garage again

All I Wanted Was A Pepsi, Just One Pepsi

Team Zoot, Team Zoot Mid-Atlantic

Quote Reply

Prev Next