Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Hair straighteners/flat irons
Quote | Reply
Hi Ladies,

Don't know if I should have posted this in the Lavender Room, but here goes:

This Christmas, my wife wants an ionic, ceramic flat iron for straightening hair. Can anyone recommend a good brand/model. They range in price from $20 to $200, but like many things, you get what you pay for. However, when it comes to my wife, money is no object. I'm gravitating toward the Sedu Revolution. Thanks for any suggestions.
Quote Reply
Re: Hair straighteners/flat irons [ed-force-one] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi

I just bought a new straightner today. I bought the FH1 Heat "Technique 2". Its the one that my hair dresser uses. It was $180. I was totally taken aback by the price at the first but now I'm glad that I spent the extra money. Also, you can straighten or curl with this one.

I had a cheaper one before today. And you do get what you pay for.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It has been a LONG time since I've owned one, but the more expensive the better was my experience back then. Check ebay or overstock.com to see if you can find what you are looking for for a little less $.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Agreed... spend the extra cash and get a high quality one, it's worth it.

Come crawling faster
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have the ceramic tourmaline. I paid close to $200.00 for it from my hair salon...totally worth it. I bought an inexpensive one last year and I am still paying for the damage it caused to my hair. Buy quality!!
-----------------------
http://www.konashelley.com

-----------------
http://www.konashelley.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How expensive is the Sedu revolution? If it is really up there in the hundreds you might want to consider the alternative of giving your wife a GC for Japanese straightening. It is really costly -- more than what has been mentioned in the price range of flat irons. However, if she likes the flat iron look, Japanese straightening (aka Thermal Reconditioning) is literally like buying time. You sit through it once (about 3-4 hrs) and you do not have to straighten your hair again for a year. I am on my second process and I can attest it is totally worth the time and money.

If your wife enjoys having curls once in a while of course that rules out the TR process...and you MUST find an expert to apply it....but serisouly as a busy person , athlete and mom, TR is the best gift I could ever imagine. For me it is like being given 40 extra minutes of free time per day. YMMV.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey I had this same dilemma about 6 months ago. My wife's hair is very challenging. extrememly thick and very full of body. We had gotten her a cheapo straightner from wal mart but as it died she said she wanted something better. I did some digging and found this.

http://www.folica.com/...onic_Cera_d1560.html

It had really good reviews and folica throws in a little heat proof bag when you buy from them and that bag is really nice to have as it makes a spot on the counter the wife can put the straightener when not in use.

SO my real world review.

My wife loves it! Its very lightweight and is easy to use with just one hand. It gets super hot! It has a rotary dial that allows you to adjust the heat up to 450 degrees which is what she has to put it at for her hair. In the directions it helps you profile your hair so you know which setting to use. The reason I got it for her is that I read a lot of reviews that said it dramatically cut down on the time spent straightening and I can attest to that. Wife spends about half the time she normally would which in and of itself makes it worth it. Its a great product that gets a lot of use and has held up well.

In fact. she left it on the floor yesterday and I stepped on it and it didnt break. Hows that for a real world test!

Also folica has it for cheaper than a lot of the other suggestions you have gotten so far!

I was where you are probably at right now. $100+ dollars for a hair straightener??????? Well I caved found it and bought and have felt it was a good investment.

cheers!

God's in his heaven, alls right with the world -Nerv
Quote Reply
Re: Hair straighteners/flat irons [WeRide] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hmmm...I always wondered about the japanese hair straightening. I see the sign for it at the salon and I wondered why? Most my japanse friends have perfectly straight hair anyway. Now I understand.

I'm going to look into this. Living where I do hair gets pretty frizzy all the time and gets seriously gnarly when I run. I wonder if this would help it.
Quote Reply
Re: Hair straighteners/flat irons [PirateGirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My BFF did it and the first time I saw her I couldn't stop looking at her hair... it was gorgeous!! She dropped about $450 to do it.

Come crawling faster
Quote Reply
Re: Hair straighteners/flat irons [LovePugs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am going to have to look into it. Maybe for my birthday in the spring.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have long, thick curly hair and straighten it practically every day with my Chi. It's absolutely fantastic. You can usually get one on sale for $119 -- check Ulta or other similar beauty supply store.
Quote Reply
Re: Hair straighteners/flat irons [AmyCO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I have long, thick curly hair and straighten it practically every day with my Chi. It's absolutely fantastic. You can usually get one on sale for $119 -- check Ulta or other similar beauty supply store.

I second the chi - I love mine. I bought it on e-bay and paid about $70 CDN on a "buy it now". A HUGE savings compared to a store, and it was brand new.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Maybe I am just kind of an idiot about my hair, which is completely possible, but:

I have curly, coarse hair. Not the curliest or coarsest I know, but pretty up there.

I use a flat iron I got from Sally Beauty, it was $50, but they were having a sale, and I got it for $40. I also use product.

I am not sure, but I'm pretty sure it isn't tourmaline or ceramic, but saw those. I have had friends who have paid the big bucks and gotten those and they break w/in a year or so. I buy a $40-$50 one every year and half or so and it works just fine.

This one has a little dial that goes up to 466 degrees and I usually have it all the way up, especially in summer when it is SOOOOOO humid here. Winter, I can kind of get away with it not quite as hot because it dries out (relatively speaking) here in winter.

If y'all know something I don't know, inform me! May not be buying a new one soon, but my hair seems to be pretty good...I use good shampoo & conditioner and swim in bromine pool instead of chlorine, so that may help...

Tiger for Life -- War Eagle!

Quote Reply
Re: Hair straighteners/flat irons [PirateGirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Be careful with the Japanese straightener. My daughter has thick, course, beautiful hair with a lot of curl and the japenese treatment looked great when it was done but as her hair grew out, a line developed where you can REALLY see the difference between the straight old hair and the curly new hair. It has taken her two years now to grow out almost all of the straightened part. She uses an iron to make it straight but she also has the option to go curly.
Quote Reply
Re: Hair straighteners/flat irons [Ironmom1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, I thougth about that. But my hair is pretty actaully pretty straight as it is, just gets frizzy in the humidity and turns into a downright mess when I run in a ponytail.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use and recommend the Karmin G3 salon Pro, it works amazing with any type of hair, plus it heats up to 450f with temperature control, dual voltage, tourmaline ceramic plates with rounded edges which makes it great for also curling your hair. Also has a 3 year warranty. u can check it out http://MyHairStylingTools.com. u can check the flat iron reviews at http://flatironsreviews.com, I hope this helps. :)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ditto here, spend at least $150-$200 otherwise she will wreck her hair.

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Re: Hair straighteners/flat irons [AndyPants] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have the Bed Head ~$75 straightener... It's not that great!! (everyone has positive advice, I figure I'd throw in the name of one I use and isn't super impressive) It is a pretty anodized turquoise though, which I seem to remember being the reason for buying it in the first place... Now I just have a super short pixie haircut, which really solves all my hair problems.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am surprised no one has mentioned getting a Keretin treatment. It is similar to a Brazilian Blowout, but a different product is used. Be sure to confirm that the product used by your stylist does not contain formalehyde. I have just had my 3rd treatment, and it has been a life changer! I absolutely love it.

Unlike Japanese straightening, Keretin does not have to be grown out, leaving a line between old straight hair and new incoming curly/frizzy hair. It just gradually wears off. I've been going 4 months between treatments. My hair dries much faster now, even when I don't blow-dry it. it dries straight & smooth with no ironing needed. For the first time in my life I have "normal" hair. I pay $150 per treatment but it can cost up to $300.

If your wife is active, Keretin is a good option because she won't have to iron after every workout or activity.
Quote Reply
Re: Hair straighteners/flat irons [iwgu1030] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
iwgu1030 wrote:
I am surprised no one has mentioned getting a Keretin treatment. It is similar to a Brazilian Blowout, but a different product is used. Be sure to confirm that the product used by your stylist does not contain formalehyde. I have just had my 3rd treatment, and it has been a life changer! I absolutely love it.

Unlike Japanese straightening, Keretin does not have to be grown out, leaving a line between old straight hair and new incoming curly/frizzy hair. It just gradually wears off. I've been going 4 months between treatments. My hair dries much faster now, even when I don't blow-dry it. it dries straight & smooth with no ironing needed. For the first time in my life I have "normal" hair. I pay $150 per treatment but it can cost up to $300.

If your wife is active, Keretin is a good option because she won't have to iron after every workout or activity.

I don't know much about keratin but have been meaning to research this. Did you have curly hair? Or just "frizzy"? Mine gets frizzy and curly in the back. VERY thick. I would love to just shower and air dry and have it be straight.. Did you see results after the first time?
Quote Reply
Re: Hair straighteners/flat irons [Marisol] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mine is not curly.... just really thick, frizzy, and it has a weird single wave in the back. My mother always called my hair, "course" (and I got it from her!) The Keretin has made me feel like I have "normal" hair for the first time in my life. It doesn't seem so thick, which has enabled me to grow it a bit longer. It is more silky and straight. Not bone-straight (like I think Japanese straightening will do) but "normal straight". No frizz and the out-of-place wave in the back is gone. Be aware that it will be "bone-straight" for the first couple days because the hair dresser will use a straightening iron and and then you can't wash it for ~2 days. I even loved that look, but now it is just nice and normal. Not frizzy.

As the Keretin wears off, I find that I have to blow dry my hair to get the really nice look, but I still do not have to use a straightening iron. I've been going in for a retouch every ~4 months.

Do your research because I have heard of some that use harsh chemicals. The hair dresser will probably have to wear a mask, as those smell very strong. The one my hair dresser uses does not have formaldehyde.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
do you use any special shampoos/straightening balms? no matter what I can't get it straight like the hairdresser, just looks like I slept on it weird.
Quote Reply
Re: Hair straighteners/flat irons [iwgu1030] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks! Sounds Luke we have the same type oh hair.. My is thick, coarse and wavy in the back. I will definitely look that up!!
Quote Reply
Re: Hair straighteners/flat irons [Marisol] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My partner and I own a hair salon in NYC.
FHI are top some of the best irons around - you don't need the highest end model, the platform and eps 1" are very versatile (the difference is the layers of ceramic).
Straighteners are a pesonal preference BUT at our salon we don't do any Brazilian kind because they DO contain Formaldehyde - all of them (some just have levels below USDA thresholds).
They key to any chemical services is going to someone who knows what they are doing and you should make a judgement 3 or 4 times after having the process done. We have seen many clients that are thrilled with their first straightener but then very disappointing on the repeat services (in other salons of course :) Make sure your stylists only ever touches up the roots - if they do the whole head again, your roots are effectively less straight and the rest of your hair gets straighter (and more damaged) with each reapplication.

The other key thing is using the right product in your hair before you blow dry.
Hope this helps.
Last edited by: weedris: Jun 8, 11 14:31
Quote Reply