Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Was I rude? No kids please... [fidgetmagoo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Seriously? She should invite children to a COCKTAIL PARTY to remain friends with a couple? That's some crazy talk.

---------------------------------------
Awww, Katy's not all THAT evil. Only slightly evil. In a good way. - JasoninHalifax

Quote Reply
Re: Was I rude? No kids please... [Katy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Re: Was I rude? No kids please... [PirateGirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's funny. Our office party is next Thursday at the manager's home. I told him I can't make a mid-week thing. Too hard to find a sitter, etc. He said his kids won't be there, but I could bring my daughter if I felt comfortable with that. I declined.

---------------------------------------
Awww, Katy's not all THAT evil. Only slightly evil. In a good way. - JasoninHalifax

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nah, we've been friend's since we were 14, and we're almost 40, so no worries on giving up the friendship. I'd just rather spend time with her and her husband than their whole family.

The party evening has come and gone and she came without her kids or husband. They are very much a "we do everything as a family" kind of family, which makes it tough to have adult time together. They unfortunately have a very stong aversion to babysitters.
Last edited by: QRgirl: Dec 2, 08 16:56
Quote Reply
Re: Was I rude? No kids please... [QRgirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
See, I just don't get that! Did THEIR parents take them out to parties, because mine did certainly NOT.

I remember almost every weekend as a kid growing up, my parents going out on Saturday night for dinner, movies, parties, whatever, and my sis and bro and I stayed at home with a babysitter. I LOVED having a babysitter and the fun times of getting to stay up extra late, eat popcorn and hang out with someone who was NOT my parent.

Like JSA, and as a single person, I have noticed a disturbing trend of people who insist on bring their kids to adult functions / places and acting like it is the norm or okay. Just the other day, I was at the Y locker room, listening to 2 women complain about taking their kids to a restaurant / lounge type place, and, much to their shock, it was NOT kid friendly. Um HELLLLO. The name of the place has the word "BAR" in it? WTF? What do people not understand about the word "Bar"? Since when do people think that everything is supposed to cater to their needs because they have kids? I understand this with an infant, but once they can walk and talk, oh hell no.

I'm sorry, I know this is a rant, and it's not directed at anyone in particular. Cripes, I feel like Samantha in that episode of SATC where the kid throws his spaghetti at her in the swanky restaurant after she complains to his mother about his behaviour. And I do like kids, in fact, I adore my niece and nephew, and my BF's kid (he and i went through the "should we take her or not dilemna" many times when she was 11-13 years old), but some clueless parents need to wake up. Maybe it's just where I live, because I see this alot less in other parts of the US. Again, people in Idaho are generally not known for their social graces :)
Quote Reply
Re: Was I rude? No kids please... [sto] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My parents totally left my brother and I hope with a babysitter. He does the same with his kids on occasion. We've even babysat for them. I think some people think their kids are the center of the world. I honestly don't think it is healthy. Kids need to learn some independance.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ok, here is the part I do not get. You have been friends a LONG time, you know they do everything as a family, you know she does not like babysitters (no judgment here that is HER preference as a parent) yet without stating so initially you expected 'game night' to be adults only.

See game night would imply a family thing to me - a room for kids games and a room for adult games.

game night does not mean cocktail party to me! and I DO believe in babysitters (though this time of year that is a tough one).

---

cat
Sponsored by Suntheanine, Lycored and Celadrin
http://www.lycored.com/web/content/library.asp http://suntheanine.com/Research.cfm http://celadrin.com/pages/studies.php
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You were NOT rude....

Game night?....."night" implies no kids...I also think it was rude your friend to ask if they can bring them...

even if you put them in another room they always come out...."MOMMY, MOMMY Mommy!...Joey wont SHARE!!!!"

Its ok to want adult time...Not everything has to be "family friendly"

leave the kids at home....or dont come..."the Helicopter....my kids are everything...my kids have a right to be anywhere" parents can go do their own thing without ruining it for everyone else.....
Quote Reply
Re: Was I rude? No kids please... [TriToy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
depends on the game. are we talking Candyland, or co-ed Naked Twister here? hehehe. sorry, couldn't resist.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Candyland! Is that game still around?

Quote | Reply
indeed it is! I am sure ours is missing many pieces....but it was one of the first games I played with the boys.

as to coed naked twister.....see the thread on changes to your body after baby!!! those with kids might be less inclined to play ;-)

---

cat
Sponsored by Suntheanine, Lycored and Celadrin
http://www.lycored.com/web/content/library.asp http://suntheanine.com/Research.cfm http://celadrin.com/pages/studies.php
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just want her to be aware.....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No, you weren't rude, but perhaps being honest and upfront would have been more appropriate than your attempt at being tactful.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
See, I just don't get that! Did THEIR parents take them out to parties, because mine did certainly NOT.

Like JSA, and as a single person, I have noticed a disturbing trend of people who insist on bring their kids to adult functions / places and acting like it is the norm or okay. Just the other day, I was at the Y locker room, listening to 2 women complain about taking their kids to a restaurant / lounge type place, and, much to their shock, it was NOT kid friendly. Um HELLLLO. The name of the place has the word "BAR" in it? WTF? What do people not understand about the word "Bar"? Since when do people think that everything is supposed to cater to their needs because they have kids? I understand this with an infant, but once they can walk and talk, oh hell no.

I totally agree,

When I was growing up the parents would go to parties which meant we were getting a babysitter. I don't now what changed(I grew up in the late 80s early 90s) but now when my fiance and I have game nights or more recently want to have people over for a light holiday cocktail party everyone with kids assume that we are going to supply some area for their children.

Out of courtesy we said that we really don't have the space or things to amuse kids, we're two late 20 somethings and our closest kids books are 'oh the places you'll go'(grad gifts) and everyone poops(gag gift).

We've had this debate nightly since holiday party season started and she doesn't like I think parents are getting too soft and all think their kid is special(to which I cited the increase in 'food allergies' and removing PE from schools). She thinks that culturally we are trying to be more protective of our children(she cited bike helmets and increased technologies that can harm or mislead kids)

In any case saying no kids is fine in my book, but if you're doing something that could have a kid friendly slant(going to a PG movie, museum, theater) you should expect some people may want to bring their kids.

Up Up Down Down Left Right Left Right B A B A
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Then, I would just say that...you want to hang with her and her hubby! Although...by now you have probably had the party! I hope it was kid free and lots of fun.
Quote Reply

Prev Next