Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Silverman RR - Finally
Quote | Reply
So it's horrendously long...but filled with good pictures. I'm not about to post the entire thing on here and I don't have a great place to put the whole thing in pdf format, so it's posted in chunks on the blog. It's taken awhile because, in case anyone missed it, it's 4th Quarter and work is insane. I've been pulling insane schedules since I got back. Feel free to read or ignore as needed.

http://awaretris.blogspot.com/

(fixed the link...)

AW
Last edited by: AWARE: Dec 2, 08 12:29
Quote Reply
Re: Silverman RR - Finally [AWARE] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That is an excellent race report - I really enjoyed it! I've yet to do an IM but it's in the works for next year and reading yours will definitely inspire me to just go a little further (as I can picture myself having some pretty damn similar emotions to you throughout!!) Enjoy the recovery and the future running plans....Cheers
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow, awesome race novel... I mean report. ;-D Seriously, good job and I really enjoyed reading about it. I'm signed up to do my first IM at Canada this year and was very inspired by reading the range of emotions and how you dealt with them. Congratulations and enjoy the recovery - you've definitely earned it!

Michelle

------------------------------------------------------------
The beatings will continue until morale improves
Quote Reply
Re: Silverman RR - Finally [mdraegernyc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Whew...And I didn't really even do a great job of portraying the entire range...there are some very high highs and some very low lows. I'm sure my experience was exacerbated by the weather, but it was a struggle for awhile. From reading about others' experiences (and knowing myself) I knew enough to be prepared for them. It was nice to be able to take a deep breath and keep going. I'm not entirely proud of my T2 "performance" and the fact that I struggled as mightily as I did, but what's important is that I did push through.

Just keep your head on straight and know that it's not the end of the world. I kept laughing in the pre-race days and repeating, "Just keep moving forward and the finish line will eventually be there." It became very true. Kona wasn't a goal, enjoying the day was. Taking a deep breath, enjoying the scenery and taking in the entirety of the experience. I mean, holy crap, it's a freaking IRONMAN. Think about how many people can't even FATHOM doing that?! It's a pretty awesome experience.

You'll be a better person for it. And you'll cuss, a lot. (I'm still bitching about my feet and my hamstring...)

AW
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great job takling that course - I've heard it's epic, and in challenging weather! be proud! In a contrary way, I think you should be especially proud of that T2 performance. That you talked your way out onto the run course shows your strength. You took what the day gave you, realized that it is what it is, and didn't let yourself down. Way to go!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
AWARE, you crack me up. I wish I could have met you at the race. I think that's Eliot (renorider) getting on his bike next to you in that picture coming out of T1. I love that part about trying to pick up your gel. I cried three times on that run, and I only did the half! I was cold, I hurt, it was dark, and I was all alone out there because it was so late. This little boy who was sitting with his mom near the run turn around point told me so matter-of-factly, "Just do what I do. Walk!" He had NO idea what we had been through that day, but it still made me laugh. Kudos to you for finishing such a tough race, especially as your first.

~Alison
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great writeup and pics! For the time being, you may want to increase the number of posts on the front page of your blog so the whole report is on the front page.
Yeah, that's me next to you at the bike mount line, and I definitely wasn't the guy who told you to "get small," as I was too terrified to speak going up the boat ramp.

I do distinctly remember wanting to pass you and feeling the Hand of All Assembled Deities pushing me back towards Lake Mead. First clue that it was gonna be a long day.

Congrats for working through your dark moments and surviving a brutal day!

Eliot
blog thing - strava thing
Quote Reply
Re: Silverman RR - Finally [renorider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thx...done. The whole blog thing still amuses me...I think the entire thing's much easier to read when not in chunks...but whatever.

Glad to know someone else was enjoying that boat ramp. I was just getting angry at one point, though I do remember you zipping by early on. I also remember thinking your skinny ass was going to get blown over. But I hung on to you for a little while. I held off at least 30 minutes before crying though, small victory. I can't believe you didn't have any arm warmers or anything on...I was freezing.

I'm glad that day is over, but I would trade that weather for this stupid snow any time. Coming home to the freezing cold, ice and snow of winter hasn't enthused me for training.

AW
Quote Reply