Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

surgery or new saddle--please help!
Quote | Reply
I actually scheduled surgery with my OB-GYN last week--for the sole reason of alleviating my pain on a bike!! IT's called a "labial reduction." She said she does them frequently, and that it's quite painful. So I'm now thinking that I have until mid January to find a saddle that will allow me to cancel this surgery! The pain in that area is excruciating, usually within 5 miles or so. It's certainly the limiting factor for my riding. It's not my butt, bones, taint--it's more to the front, and it feels like I'm ripping my skin open raw up there. I've been on a men's terry fly ti, but it's not making the cut. A friend just e-mailed me about the ISM ADAMO racing saddle (on sale till midnight!). I'd love to hear any others who may have found a solution to this girly problem by way of a saddle. BTW, I'm about 5'4" and 120 pounds---not sure if that matters. I love my P2C, but look at it with anguish every time I think about riding!! Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: surgery or new saddle--please help! [eljoanev] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Go to a shop. Try a whole bunch of them.

Do a search in the forum for what others have tried. That said, not one of us will be able to tell you which one will help you because it's very individual.

Quote | Reply
Think beyond the saddle. What shorts are you using? Have you checked your saddle height, angle, and reach? Of course a basic, don't wear underwear. You may also try a pad.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh good lord, are you serious? Labial reduction surgery???? eee-gad.

It could be your fit, your shorts, lack of lube (I'm partial to Aquaphor) I would certainly exhaust ALL options before resorting to surgery.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My wife was heaving the same issues. I followed a CD called Sitting Pretty and it solved her private area pain. Usually, a narrower saddle will put more pressure on your parts because you have wider sit bones. A lot of the issue is correct fit. You want to be positioned so that you can lean forward and take you hands off the handlebars and not fall over, therefore, you want your sit bones to carry the wait and not your soft tissue. Most women are not fit properly. Smaller feet mean cleats are positioned more forward which brings the pelvis forward and if you have to much reach, it moves you forward and rotates your pelvis down. Try and position your fore/aft height correctly and bring everything to fit your reach. Cut-outs usually cause pressure points. A great saddle to try is the San Marco Glamour. Keep it level to slightly nose down. Good luck!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, definately skip the surgery and find a new saddle. I can't believe a Dr. would even suggest it unless you have been through extensive researching and trial and error. I used to have a lot of pain while riding and it took several saddles until I found the Specialized Jet. The Terry saddles just didn't work for me despite everyone telling me they are the best. I also tried the Terry men's and it didn't work for me either.

I've also learned to tip the front down just a smidgen and that makes a huge difference.

Keep trying saddles. Sell the ones that don't work for you or return them if you can.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
a LONG time ago (pre womens forum) someone posted about a custom saddle that they made from a form of her. I thought the bike shop she went to was in the Northwest.

Anybody else remember this?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Specialized Body Geometry. I was in agony on my MTB, despite trying a million saddles. My husband thought I was imagining it--until I got back from the Gyno, and she was concerned I had been sexually abused b/c of the amount of trauma to the region. I ended up with a Specialized BG2 saddle, and it is like BUTTER.

I'm not saying you need THAT saddle, but I AM saying keep looking before you have someone whack away at your luggage with a sharp object.

mmm-mmm-Momo Charms
Handmade beverage charms, jewelry, and miscellanea

http://momocharms.wordpress.com
Quote Reply
Re: surgery or new saddle--please help! [mmrocker13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Definitely check bike fit too. If your seat is too high, then it's causing your hips to rock back and forth on the saddle. This creates and uncomfortable ride.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used to have a labia piercing (now gone) but it caused some problems for me + cycling. Here is how I solved it:

- DeSoto 400 mile bike shorts (the only shorts that work well for me)
- Terry Butterfly saddle
- A professional bike fit (we have a sports medicine center where I had mine done)
- Last, but not least, a huge glob of vaseline every time I go for a long ride. I use the vaseline to sort of glue everything up and in place. With out the vaseline, I'm sunk. Use a lot of it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

I also have the specialized jet, women's saddle. I was measured at a bike shop, you sit on this foam thing and they measure the distance between your sit bones to determine the width of saddle. I love my saddle and only have problems when my bike shorts get too old or I don't use enough vasoline. It seems that I can only put about 1 season of riding on my shorts then it is time for new ones! Good luck!

http://www.ironmom141.blogspot.com
Quote Reply