Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

what, if anything, do I say to the woman at the gym?
Quote | Reply
Ok I'd like to think I am easy going BUT there is this older lady at the gym, locker next to mine, and every morning she uses a pumice while sitting in front of her locker...and I think: gross, but I am wearing flip flops and would have no idea how to approach this. Today she was shaving her armpits in front of the locker next to me. Where is the hair going? why not do this in the shower? also, there are stools near the shower so she could sit in the shower and slough her feet there. Am I overreacting here?
Quote Reply
Re: what, if anything, do I say to the woman at the gym? [kbee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Gross. You need to talk to the gym employees (preferably manager) and have them address it. When I was managing a gym I came across a lot of situations like this and while uncomfortable for me to approach the member, it had to be done because for every 1 person complaining there are at least 5 annoyed and just not saying anything.
Blech.

Quote | Reply
I thought about approaching the management, but the time of morning that we are both there, there never are any females on duty, the one who is from time to time is watching the pool. But I definitely have to say something. But really, what are people thinking sometimes?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would probably just tell her that it is unsanitary and could she please do that in the shower. See what she says. Preface if by saying you hate to be rude but...

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"what next, your crotch?" might be an option and based upon her response, you can tell her to take it to the shower or better yet do her "grooming" at home.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pics, or it didn't happ...oh wait, nevermind.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn." - Charles De Mar
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You have some options here because you see her frequently. You could try striking up a conversation (not about her bad habits) once or twice, so she kind of knows you. you know - "cold pool this morning!" type of stuff. Introduce yourself. Then, after a few days, when you see her doing it again, you could bring it up and it would be less threatening (than if some nameless person asked her to stop a behavior she's been doing awhile).

You'll have to be firm but pleasant. But no matter what, I feel its always best to first approach her yourself. Then, if she disagrees, approach management about her. Good luck - tell us what happens!
Quote Reply
Re: what, if anything, do I say to the woman at the gym? [Meowelk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Interesting...see I am actually reluctant to say something as we have talked a few times, actually about how cold the pool was too...and I think I'd find it easier if I hadn't been talking with her.
I just lack the guts I guess. This is another example of me not saying anything when it is totally within my right, and rather than deal with it, stew over it, get angry, post on the internet about it :) but ultimately I am the only one who suffers! This applies to so many areas of my life and I need to change. Maybe time to start here!
And that crotch comment was priceless!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is it worth the cost of a pedicure gift certificate to you?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I thought this was going to be a question from some guy wanting to pick up a girl at the gym. :)

I would speak to management. It's their responsibility. They can put on an extra female employee in the morning for a few days so that she can speak to the woman.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you feel uncomfortable, as I would, perhaps asking a gym attendant to have a word with her would help.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
blech...
the gym should accommodate you

the management should do two things (1) move your locker if you're assigned to one that keeps you there beside her (2) talk with her... even if they don't see her grooming herself / doing this, your complaint is enough to call her or write her a letter... she has to be violating some kind of health / wellness / safety policy that the gym is required to maintain...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Quote Reply
Re: what, if anything, do I say to the woman at the gym? [perfcctionist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well-today she was back, but also there was a new sign: please refrain from personal grooming (shaving, etc) in the common locker areas.

I saw the foot scraper out on the bench but was out earlier than she was. Still, I wish I had managed the courage to say something to her myself. Though I dont like new years resolutions, mine will be to speak up more!
Quote Reply