Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Cold Weather Skin HELP
Quote | Reply
The weather has changed here in Alabama and my skin is NOT HAPPY. My legs look and feel like I have horrible razor burn, I have red itchy spots on my back and hips, and my hands are cracked and bleeding.

I swim 3 days a week in a very cold pool (they claim maintenance is working on it) ...if I don't get in the hot tub afterwards, my core temperature doesn't come up for the rest of the day. I know that is not helping my skin at all. I take warm showers, not scalding hot ones. I go through ridiculous amounts of Gold Bond Ultimate lotion for my hands and legs (have been using the new 'soothing' one on my legs). I have even been mixing the Gold Bond lotion with baby oil for extra moisture. I also wash my hands once or twice an hour (lab, bathroom, before eating, etc.). Between the Dial soap in the bathroom and the evil anti-anything soap in the lab, my hands are destroyed, even after using the 'skin therapy' lotion after every time.

Anyway, one of the cracks on my thumb reopened in a major way last night and I am doing everything I can not to scratch my legs right now. Obviously my methods are not working and I need HELP!!!

What are your favorite lotions/tricks to keep you skin intact when the weather changes?
Quote Reply
Re: Cold Weather Skin HELP [Leloo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Some of my favorites are:

For super dry and cracked areas (hands, feet, etc) -- Neutrogena Norwegian Formula
For dry legs in the winter -- Aveeno Skin Relief -- the menthol in it feels amazing on cold, dry legs.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Eucerin Aquaphor.

My friend works in a kitchen where her hands are constantly wet and being washed. She turned me on to this stuff. It's great.
Quote Reply
Re: Cold Weather Skin HELP [squesen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Eucerin Aquaphor. BEST STUFF EVER!!!!!!!!

clm

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use a lotion called AmLactin. It's sometimes on the shelves and sometimes you have to ask the pharmacist for it if they keep it behind the counter. It's non-prescription but i think you can also get it by prescription, so they don't always keep it on the sales floor. it smells gross because it contains ammonia and lactic acid, but it helps break down the dry skin. My dermatologist recommended it for me because I have similar problems to you.

the pool is horrible... so are showers and washing hands, but i am not sure how to avoid that. it sounds like you are doing the right things. i've been told to avoid petroleum products in lotions because they act as a barrier instead of allowing an exchange of moisture to the skin. maybe you can add some humidity to your environment with a humidifier?

i'm having terrible issues with my lips right now... the rest of me is ok.
Quote Reply
Re: Cold Weather Skin HELP [austin79] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've also heard that about petroleum products, also actually mineral oil. I wonder since a really good thing for cracked dry calloused foot skin is slathering on vaseline (sounds gross I know but works) and then putting on cotton socks overnight.

Also x3 or is it x4 on the Aquaphor! I also have been using Aveeno moisturizer, it's lovely. Eucerin is also a brand recommended to me before by some doctor or other...

I have been having problems with skin around my eyes and face in general - going to dermatologist soon & if she tells me anything amazing I'll report back.
Quote Reply
Re: Cold Weather Skin HELP [minniepearl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
+ 1,000,000 for Aquaphor

Cetaphil cream (not lotion)

AmLactin is great too. I went to a convention and took handfuls of their samples...

Come crawling faster
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thank you all for the suggestions!!! I think I have some samples of Aquaphor around somewhere that I got in race packets ...I will go locate those to use until I can get to the store.

I love Aveeno products; I remember using the skin soothing stuff last year. Thank you for the reminder.

Tomorrow is going to be a painful day: morning workout, shower, high containment lab, shower, evening workout, shower ...my legs are itching just thinking about it :-(
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh one other thing I just though of - maybe you already do this - put your body moisturizer on right after the shower when your skin is still damp, seems to make a difference.

Haha now I have to remember to do this myself!
Quote Reply
Re: Cold Weather Skin HELP [austin79] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I always get bad chapped lips during the winters from running outside so I splurged and dropped some cash on great lip balm, La Mer Lip Balm. It is ridiculous to spend $45 on lip balm but since I've started putting it on at night I haven't had any problems, best condition my lips have been in for years.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Re: Cold Weather Skin HELP [jenhs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My face is the only thing that isn't falling apart :-P I really like Blistex medicated lip stuff (I think it is under $2). I use Olay skin cream during the day and Origins at night, both mixed with a little Gold Bond Ultimate Soothing and my skin has never looked better. Now if I could just get everything else under control...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi L (and everyone),
I have my issues with dry skin. Public pools can really be tough on the skin. Try this if you dare...there is a product called "Alpha Keri" that is a bath oil. After a shower but while you are still wet, put it all over you like lotion. Then pat yourself dry with a towel (I wash towels a lot but its worth it). Then put something like Aquaphor or your favorite lotion on top of that. I try to take a bath with the oil and some Epsom Salt once per week or so because it helps to exfoliate. The AmLactin is great lotion for exfoliating too but if your skin is a little broke out, it will take you a few minutes to come off the ceiling. I love lotions and body creams with Shea Butter. Gold Bold with Shea Butter is very nice and thick. So is "True Blue Spa's 'Lay it on Thick'". Love that stuff. I add Baby Oil to most lotions as well for the extra moisture. I am using the Baby Oil Gel now, its fantastic. Sometimes I use it by itself. If you swim in a public pool, you could try a thin layer of vaseline over any broken out areas before you go into the pool but just wipe of any excess. This will help protect your skin from the chemicals.

Hope this helps and good luck,
ms
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I NEVER use soap in the winter, I use the aveeno body wash for extra dry irritated skin. It has the consistancy of snot, but it really works, I'll even shave with it. Then I use the Eucerin calming cream or the aveeno mousturizer for dry irritated skin. The stuff with collodial oatmeal. Or whatever it's called. I'd skip the gold bond.
Quote Reply
Re: Cold Weather Skin HELP [k2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That is a PERFECT description of the Aveeno body wash ...it is pretty weird, but does work well.

I don't even use soap in the summer. I hate how it makes my skin feel.

To clear things up, I use the gold bond healing lotions, not the powder stuff. They have a new 'calming' one out that I think is similar to the aveeno one. I mix a little bit of it in with whatever body lotion I'm using, and my skin so much happier. I also got an Origins lotion called Precipitation Extra, and it has worked wonders.

Overall, I'm doing much better, so that you all for your suggestions!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My guess is that both the pool and the hot tub are chlorinated. So, you are doing 3 things that will aggravate your skin: prolonged drenching in water which will leach every drop of moisture out of your skin, exposure to chlorine which is difficult to remove (and if not removed, will continue to dry and irritate your skin), and exposing your skin to wide temperature changes. A great moisturizer will definitely help restore moisture to your skin but the chlorine will continue to eat away at your skin even after you've moisturized if you don't remove it. Unfortunately, chlorine isn't removed easily with ordinary soap, water and scrubbing. You need to use a cleanser like Tri-Swim Body Wash that has agents that target and surround the chlorine molecules so that it can be washed off your skin. I've talked to people with sensitive skin who have been able to keep swimming only because Tri-Swim has allowed them to get wash the chlorine away.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Eucerin Aquaphor. I never used ituntil I got a bunch for free...now, I love it. Fabulous stuff.

mmm-mmm-Momo Charms
Handmade beverage charms, jewelry, and miscellanea

http://momocharms.wordpress.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
After getting out of the shower Neutrogena Oil. For cracked skin Burt's Bees Coconut Foot Creme-big plus is it smells like the beach!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The best thing I have found, on top of moisterizing right after my showers, is putting on lotion right before bed and then putting on gloves. It keeps the lotion right on my skin and keeps them from drying out during the night. This has really helped me!
Quote Reply