Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Women's Saddle?
Quote | Reply
Hello- I'm in the market for a new saddle for my bike. I currently have the saddle that came with the frame and it's horribly uncomfortable. Do you all have women's-specific saddles? Either way, any suggestions? Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Women's Saddle? [chitrigal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Might want to do a search in the forum for this... we've talked about it a lot and you'll probably find some good info in past discussions :)

Quote | Reply
Terrific - thanks!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ok here's what I've tried to date and my opinions. Of course a saddle is so subjective. I have a P2C and it came with the stock saddle which I didn't love so I tried the Arione Tri2 which cause severe numbness in sensitive parts. I tried the Terry tri specific saddle which felt the same as the Arione. Now i'm trying the Adamo tri which is better. I like that the cut out alleviates the numbness but the saddle is rock hard and a bit too wide. I'm going to zip tie it to see if that helps. Good luck.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've recently reached an understanding with the Terry Butterfly Tri Gel, or something like that. I might have jumbled up the name. I've tried a FIZIK and whatever came stock on my QR. We also put a few more on during my fitting with my bike guy, but I can't really remember those names...many are HUGE fans of the Adamo saddles. I felt like I was sitting on two very hard popsicle sticks. Apparently I needed a more narrow nose. I'm still not 100% sold on the Terry, but I'm finding it MUCH more functional than the previous offender.

My advice would be to give whatever you try at least 3 or 4 rides to decide whether you really hate it or not. Long, short, hammering and very easy, I think we all sit differently depending on the situation. I also think that weather plays a part in how we sit. (I just finished Silverman in any number of conditions and felt differently throughout the race.)

Not to hijack, but here's my question: Please tell me that everyone's "bits" hurt at the end of an IM bike leg, right? Less than they would with an ill-fitting saddle, but they still hurt, right!??! I started in 30mph winds, battled hail, wind, lightning, rain, more wind, a large section of awfully chaotic pavement, more wind and more rain....so I think I earned the pain, but I just wanted to check.

And I promise, the RR is coming, soon. I'm trying valiantly to keep it from being 10+ pages long....

AW
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I actually like the Specialized Taupe that came on my 07 Transition Pro. It is a unisex saddle. It is all about what is comfy for you. I had a Terry Damselfy and I didn't like it all that much. But it is really very specific to you... sorry I can't be more help.

Tiger for Life -- War Eagle!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I went through many saddles, including several Terrys but I ended up getting a Specialized Jet based on recommendations in a thread on here from the spring. I finally found the right saddle. Its as if they actually know where the cutouts are supposed to be and not just a small opening in the middle of the saddle. It feels like they actually took a mold of the female anatomy and built the saddle from there. I got rid of the numbness and felt OK for long rides. Made a huge difference in comfort for me.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Re: Women's Saddle? [jenhs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks everyone. This is great info.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a unisex Blackwell Research saddle with a center cutout. I love it!
Quote Reply
Re: Women's Saddle? [texastrigal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I realize that I can't really contribute anything meaningful concerning the specific merits of any particular women's saddle. I am, however, very fond of my Blackwell Flow saddle. Just thought that I should mention that these saddles will supposedly be available directly from John Cobb now that Blackwell Research is gone.

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...ll%20saddle;#2017997

-----
Over 4.5 years bike crash free.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i got two women to try the specialized jet. they both got hooked and bought one.

one of the women had tried saddles from terry, selle italia and fizik, so she had certainly gone through many of the usual suspects.

you might experience some sticker shock at seeing a saddle being priced at ~$130 (i'm guessing the price in the US; in canada, it's $160), but it's more than worth it.

just keep in mind that there are saddles that sell for $400, so you're not doing too badly.
Last edited by: tegra: Nov 20, 08 20:45
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I really like the Fizik Aliante. Not women's specific but it is on every bike now.
It is finding the saddle width AND contour that works for you.
Quote Reply
Re: Women's Saddle? [AWARE] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Please tell me that everyone's "bits" hurt at the end of an IM bike leg, right? Less than they would with an ill-fitting saddle, but they still hurt, right!??! I started in 30mph winds, battled hail, wind, lightning, rain, more wind, a large section of awfully chaotic pavement, more wind and more rain....so I think I earned the pain, but I just wanted to check.

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just saw that trisports.com has a demo saddle program. For $25, you can demo a saddle for a week. They don't have Terry saddles listed, but there are lots of Fiziks, Adamos, and Selles. I can't decide which one to try first!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My wife was having some serious issues with her Fizik Airone saddles on both her TT and Road bike. She is now singing the praises of the Adamo Race saddle on her TT bike and the Koobi tri saddle on her road bike.

Dave

Dave Stark
dreamcatcher@astound.net
USAC & USAT level 2 certified coach
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
my gf's progression:
fizik vitesse: worked for year and a half, but then one day she couldn't stand it anymore (partly I think it wore down, I've replaced my fizik arione twice over the years; now have three fizik arione saddles on different bikes - and I think I need to replace my tri one; its getting a bit ... saggy)
specialized Jett: I think she tried two different widths, but she found it too hard on her sit bones
serfas cassina: working very well for her now. not an open cut, but the plastic shell has a hole near the middle so its not as hard on the privates.
next...?
Quote Reply