Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Weekly How'd You Do Thread -- 11/17/2008
Quote | Reply
Since the thread hasn't been started yet, here is goes:

Goals for last week:
1) Get in 3 morning workouts -- Done
2) Get in 3 strenght/core sessions -- Done
3) Cook dinner at home at least 3 nights -- Cooked two nights but at left overs on two additional nights.

Goals for this week:
1) Stretch, Stretch, Stretch
2) Have a blast at the ride-n-tie

How did everyone else do?

Quote Reply
Re: Weekly How'd You Do Thread -- 11/17/2008 [instigator] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did alright.

1. work on thesis every day --- YES!!!
2. abs and shoulder weights 3x --- ABS YES / SHOULDER STUFF NOT AT ALL
3. race well! lots of races coming up - a 5k tomorrow, and intramural swim meet Wed. night, a 5k XC race Saturday, and another swim meet Sunday (scm!) ---- won the 5k. Swim meet was awful but that was due to the air temp being so cold that every time I dove in, my body and muscles were just *tight* and I couldn't move. XC race --- got 2nd. Skipped the scm meet due to being too tired.

totals
swim - 33.3k (6x)
bike - 4:20 (2x)
run - 55.3 mi (7x)

For this week:
1. Work on thesis every day
2. Keep eating enough (I'm on a new kick called "dessert of the day," I need the calories anyway so the past few days I've had: cannoli, apple pie, scone, brownie...) I need to keep my weight up and make sure I have energy to train.
3. Get a 1 hr 45 min long run in
4. Ride 4x, one long (lets say 2:45, I did 2:40 last week)
5. Keep working on those 400 IMs :D
6. DO THE SHOULDER BABY WEIGHTS TWICE. I've been such a slacker with this.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Last edited by: tigerchik: Nov 17, 08 17:10
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What's a ride-and-tie?

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well FINALLY the cold that I kept thinking was almost gone, but then came back, really is - tada! - almost gone. YAY!

I said last week, 2-3 of everything and that is WHAT I DID!

2 swims, one 45-min, one 1-hr.
2 trainer bike rides
2 runs
oh only one strength session
total training hours for week 5 hours 15 min

That is not all that much but compared to my past few weeks it is. I am choosing to be happy that I'm on the way back instead of pissy I've done so little training recently!

Food was pretty good, did not lose weight but did not gain, cooked a bunch of stuff too over weekend that I have now for a few days.

This week:
2 masters swim, one solo swim
2 bikes - one trainer, one outdoors
3 runs
2 strengths
Food eat what I cook mostly...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for starting the thread. I was in Jamaica last week and I'm still trying to get my head back into a normal schedule. I had no goals last week except to have fun in Jamaica with my DH (and no kids!). We had a blast. Perfect weather every day. It was really nice to have some one-on-one time with hubby. Had lots of interesting adventures and met a whole bunch of great people.

The sun was too hot for me to be out in the middle of the day, so I even got in 2 hard workouts through the week. Was hoping for more, but the rum cream blenders I was having got in the way sometimes. :)

Back to reality now.
Quote Reply
Re: Weekly How'd You Do Thread -- 11/17/2008 [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
What's a ride-and-tie?
Well, I believe a ride-and-tie is traditionally done with two people and a horse. One rides the horse while the other teammate runs. The cross country style course ranges from 20-100 miles. So at the start, one person starts riding and the other running. At some point into the race, the person riding ties the horse to a tree/post/etc and takes off running thus the name ride and tie. The horse waits where he/she is tied for the person who started the race running and then that person rides for a while and then ties the hose for another switch. It is a fun test of endurance and strategy where you need to determine how far to go between switches.

For my race, substitute a mountain bike for the horse and shorten the course to just 11 miles. On our course, you can switch rider and runner as much as you want but there are two or three mandatory switch points.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cool!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Still winding down from IMFL last week.

- 2x group power (1 hr weight lifting class set to music -- weird but fun way to get a moderate full body workout)
- Several small runs (3 - 6 miles each)
- Masters swim
- My fav winter spin class has started up again Sunday mornings -- 2 hour spin with a bunch of hardcore roadies, taught by a TT guy who is in amazing shape.

Good week. :)

Thinking of fasting this week (Thursday, Friday, Saturday). Does anyone else fast during the off season? I was thinking it might be a good way to reboot. Juice fast -- not just water.

Sarah
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
the ride and ties sounds fun....I have always wanted to include a section doing that in some of the low key adventure races I put on....

Last week...

1) get in 7 hours of training

got in 10:16...very nice...

2) 2 stretch cord workouts

only got one...no excuse for not getting 2...lazy....

3) get weight to 173, 3 times in the mornings...

got it done...

4) Navigate without a major mess up on Saturdays bike/run/trek Adventure sponsored by the GearJunkie...

finished in 4:34 and did pretty well, wife had to go up North for her Mom's unexpected surgery...I teamed with a friend of mine and was primary navigator...had a major mess up on one of the orienteering secions that bogged down our race in a major way but later found out the point was misplaced so we actually had a decent race...a few bobbles on the navigation in other places that could have put us in front of 2 teams that were racing us close but it was a practice event and I was ok with out effort...with all the off trail bushwacking I was done by the end of hour 3.....

Next week:

1) get in 7 hours of training
2) 2 power band workouts.
3) keep weight to 173, 3 mornings this week...
Quote Reply
Re: Weekly How'd You Do Thread -- 11/17/2008 [squesen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What's the goal of fasting? Is there a religious reason for it or just to do it?

Just juice for 3 days, no protein or fat, not good for your body. There is never any reason to fast (Excluding religious beliefs). Anything you read about it getting "toxins" out of your body or something is BS.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fasting to reset the system, change up the diet, and take some time for introspection. Not for religious reasons. Not for banishing toxins, either. :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
your call... it's really not healthy though...

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yup, you got it right. There is also a burro race I want to do sometime. You get a burro and you have to run a course with it. Burros are very stubborn so just getting one to move forward can be a challenge. Looks like crazy fun. I don't think you can bring your own burro either.

http://www.packburroracing.com/

I didn't do so hot this week. Only ran 2x, once Saturday and once Sunday, and no salads.

I went to Masters last night but it was cancelled. The pool heater at my club is broken and the water was so cold that I went into the hottub instead then went home.

I gotta snap out of this. Terrible laziness right now. I'm always glad when I do workout but getting myself to do it has been impossible lately. I am in that spiral where I don't want to workout because it reminds me how much fitness I've lost but if I don't workout then I'll continue to lose fitness. Even setting the goal of the Seattle Marathon didn't work so I'm not doing it. I've signed up for the December 200 mile challenge and maybe that will work. I won't hit the 200 but I'd like to get really close.

I need stop writing and get on the treadmill. Ugh.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Re: Weekly How'd You Do Thread -- 11/17/2008 [jenhs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I read an article in Runner's World once about a participant in the Burro Race. It sounded like blast. He had several fights with his burro whose name was Taco Bell. I wish I could remember who wrote the article.....

I am not sure I am up for a burro race but maybe one day I will tackle a real ride-n-tie :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I know this is kind of a late "how'd you do" as it is wednesday ...but I have been slacking on these and just got great news, so I feel the need to brag a little :-)

Last week:
-I didn't work out anywhere near the amount I wanted to (bad tummy week): 3x1800scy swims, 2x30 minute runs, and 1x40 minute mountain bike ride to keep my fiance company while he ran.
-My eating has become insanely healthy, and I've realized how much better I feel when I eat clean. I kept it up last week ...yay :-) My weight is doing pretty well, too ...maybe even too well. I'm down to between 117 and 118. I'm between 5'6" and 5'7". I'm hoping to level off about here, but I've promised myself that if I hit 115, I'll change something.
-School was pretty uneventful last week, and I had a completly normal trip into the high containment lab ...no passing out, no respirator batteries dying (that happened two weeks ago), no accidental flashings/moonings while getting out of the containment suit, etc.

Goals for this week:
-get in 3 swims, run at least 10 minutes 6 days this week (25-30 minutes for regular runs, 10-15 minutes if off the bike), 3 trainer workouts, and lift twice. I'm already well on my way :-D
-Keep eating clean, make sure the weight stays level.
-Start working on a real grant proposal with my mentor ...apparently this will pay for my next two years of grad school.
-Start preparing for the oral defense of my PhD qualifying exam ...meaning I PASSED THE WRITTEN PORTION ...WITHOUT REWRITES :-D I am sooooo happy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Last week:
Going back to the doctor this afternoon. Hopefully racing this coming weekend. I wrote out my training program for this week. Back on the bike, test out the foot/toe and see if I can run, swim twice, lift twice.

Well, the doctor OK'ed me for racing (do what doesn't hurt), so I raced on the track on Saturday and then cyclocross on Sunday. Foot hurt on the dismounts and running during the cross race so I took them very slow and walked, not run, and finished. Still in 3rd place in the series.

Have ridden 10 days in a row.

This week: Ride the bike. Every day.

Started physical therapy on Monday and doing the ultrasound test, it's 99% likely that I have a little break or chip or something in my foot/toe, so no running, no jumping, no pushing off type stuff. Ride the bike. A lot!

clm

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
+1 to what tc said. Don't fast. It's terrible for your body. There's absolutely no good reason to do it.

Quote | Reply
That's exactly the story I read too. He hated the experience and swore to never do it again. Sounded like fun to me!

Cute story here

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Re: Weekly How'd You Do Thread -- 11/17/2008 [Leloo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
My eating has become insanely healthy, and I've realized how much better I feel when I eat clean. I kept it up last week ...yay :-) My weight is doing pretty well, too ...maybe even too well. I'm down to between 117 and 118. I'm between 5'6" and 5'7". I'm hoping to level off about here, but I've promised myself that if I hit 115, I'll change something.[/quote] wow we're like twins. I am at the same height/weight, do you have people bugging you about it all the time? I have had soooo many people ask "have you been ill?" is getting annoying to explain no, just at race weight. I used to think that "you know you're at race weight when people start staging an intervetion" quote was funny, not anymore. See above about dessert of the day and trying not to lose anymore...

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I haven't had any blatant 'are you sick' comments yet ...it is cold here (especially for this Florida girl), so unless someone has been staring at my butt enough to notice my jeans are looser, most people probably haven't noticed anything (I've been steadily losing for 2 months) :-P

My mentor refuses to believe I eat breakfast, though ...the other day I had a pretty bad case of nerves heading into the lab, and he asked me about four times if I had eaten breakfast, if I was sure, and if I really 'ate my wheaties'. I NEVER skip breakfast.

The nice thing is that my mentor is a bit of a gym rat, and most of the other people I interact with on a regular basis enjoy running or some form of physical activity. It isn't like there are a bunch of people around that want to fatten me up to feel better about themselves - in the past those were the typical group I got those 'suggestions' from.

Right now my nightly dessert is a big bowl of 'baked' apples and a mug of spice tea with lots of soy milk and honey ...so yummy :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
most of the comments I've gotten as of late are from swim friends, swimmers generally aren't all that thin so I am swimming fast but I don't entirely look the part (aside from all the shoulder muscle, LOL). Is hard to hide thinness in a swimsuit. Run friends think I look fine.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
its refreshing to hear women make positive comments about their bodies...

Sounds like you both are at a healthy athletic weight...I would ignore the comments and be proud of how you have both kept in a good weight range....
Quote Reply
Re: Weekly How'd You Do Thread -- 11/17/2008 [Steve-oH!] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have very positive body image... I love how I look. I'm gorgeous :-)

Quote Reply
Re: Weekly How'd You Do Thread -- 11/17/2008 [Steve-oH!] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I haven't felt positive in a long time ...it is a nice change :-) After setting a 1/2 IM PR in the fall of 2005, I decided to sign up for IMFL. The day of the half, I was in the best shape of my life. As I started training for IMFL, I began to feel insanly fat and slow. I was logging a ton of miles, but my weight just kept going up. When I broke my arm a few months before the race, I threw in the towel. I then spent the next two years in a very similar place to where suprauki's wife is now; I didn't want to socialize because I hated my body and the person I had become, I didn't want to go to the gym/pool and run into people who had known me when I was an 'athlete', and I was pretty much just grumpy, sad, and full of self-loathing.

I think AmyCO hit the nail on the head: "At some point, a person has to decide: I'm going to love myself the way that I am (which is fine) or I am going to take action to change the way that I am (which is also fine)." Although I found out that there actually has been something physically wrong with me for the past two years, that still didn't change that I did not like the person I had become. My diagnosis finally gave me the kick in the pants I needed. I realized that if I don't take care of my body now, I will always be that lethargic, sickly person. Having people like Jonnyo prove to me that the websites are wrong, that life is not over the second the doc confirms you have UC, has allowed me to keep a positive attitude. Two of the most beneficial things for dealing with my stupid tummy have been maintaining a steady, clean diet and working out. As a bonus, I have gotten back the body I was so proud of three years ago; the BF% is still a little high, but I'm going to love every workout it takes to get me to where I want to be.

I am very happy to be me; I am proud to lead such a healthy lifestyle. Screw the people that think I need a cookie :-P
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
again,

congratualtions to both of you for taking positive action to look the way you want.

I think I speak for alot of guys when I say that its very attractive to hear a women say "I think I look good" and KNOW that they mean it....not just saying it to convince themselves or others...
Quote Reply