Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Why the name "Quintana Roo"?
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Why the name "Quintana Roo"? [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think not. Dan is pretty white/non-hispanic looking.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nope, he explained it once as he bought a building that said "Quintana Roofing" on it and the last few letters fell off so he kept it like that. :)

Last edited by: cslone: Nov 14, 08 19:07
Quote Reply
Re: Why the name "Quintana Roo"? [cslone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Nope, he explained it once as he bought a building that said "Quinata Roofing" on it and the last few letters fell off so he kept it like that. :)

ha! no way

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dan was once riding in Australia and suddendly a kangoroo appear from nowhere and Dan hit it and had a big crash. the street name was Quintana so dan decide to call his bike Quintana roo.

Formely stef32
Quote Reply
Re: Why the name "Quintana Roo"? [QRgirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I think not. Dan is pretty white/non-hispanic looking.

Exactly what is a Mexican suppose to look like?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Chihuahua (Mega) was already taken. ;-)
Last edited by: Andrew Coggan: Nov 14, 08 19:32
Quote Reply
Re: Why the name "Quintana Roo"? [Raptor] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:

Quote Reply
Re: Why the name "Quintana Roo"? [The Herminator] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
In Reply To:

Oh Snap, Raptor just got served!

-------------------------------
Ignorance is bliss until they take your bliss away.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This has come up before. Herbert or someone said it was because Dan used to go there a lot back in the day. If you search around long enough, you should find it.
maybe a year or so ago?

------------------------------------------------------------
"Triathlon is for people who can't handle drugs and alcohol." -IMFL t-shirt

The Dude Abides...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi,

Previous tenants were indeed Quintana Roofing..........saw some grainy pics long ago.

When i first heard about it in '88, I immediately thoght it was Ozzie in origin, and that gave it instant cred at the time as Aussies were kicking A## at the time.

But then, I am old and mentally ill and reality may vary, as may your results.

Cheers
TP
Quote Reply
Re: Why the name "Quintana Roo"? [stef32] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Dan was once riding in Australia and suddendly a kangoroo appear from nowhere and Dan hit it and had a big crash. the street name was Quintana so dan decide to call his bike Quintana roo.
Please don't laugh, but for the longest time I thought QR was from Australia ... and Kahlua was from Hawai'i

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Last edited by: randymar: Nov 15, 08 6:10
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nope, he explained it once as he bought a building that said "Quintana Roofing" on it and the last few letters fell off so he kept it like that. :)
------------------------------------------
I also remember reading that. I "think" Dan let Emilio DeSoto use the same place back in the day.

Train safe & smart
Bob

Last edited by: Longboarder: Nov 15, 08 6:52
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dan developed the first triathlon specific wetsuit in 1987 and called the company Quintana Roo. He had been spending time in the state of Quintana Roo in Mexico, and as it seemed to be a very nice place for triathlon, thus the name.

But I personally like the Aussie stories. :-)
Quote Reply
Re: Why the name "Quintana Roo"? [TomP_imc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom - good verrification! Sad to hear that you are now old, could have fooled many. My wife is still lusting after the purple Griffin.... you were right - the salt stick tablets ruled!!! No cramping at Ok Falls this year =-)

http://www.fitspeek.com the Fraser Valley's fitness, wellness, and endurance sports podcast
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i heard that right after Dan invented triathlon he had a wind tunnel in his garage and discovered(after many different names) that the the word Quintana Roo was extremely aerodynamic in addition to hydrodynamic. He discovered by putting these words on random objects such as bikes, wetsuits, toasters etc., those objects had less drag. Amazing stuff really. Later research showed that by condensing to QR it was just as fast and money could be saved on decals. The reason he chose Quintana Roo instead of Cervelo was because while Cervelo tested well in the tunnel, it just wasn't good in the water.

The best pace is a suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die.-Pre
Quote Reply
Re: Why the name "Quintana Roo"? [Raptor] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh you know, a sandal wearing, sombrero sporting, serape wrapped, tequila swilling, tamale munching, donkey riding hombre. Dan doesn't look like that at all, well maybe the tequila swilling part and he may have a donkey or two now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There was a thread about this very question back in November 2003. Here's one of the many explanations of the origin of the name Quintana Roo Bikes.

I think I read someplace (maybe on an old Quintana Roo brochure) about the origin of the company's name. It all began with one of Dan's sojourns to Thailand and a side trip to Australia where he was looking for future business ideas to manufacture cushioned bicycle seat covers (pre wetsuit neoprene). He was out and about in a place called McBride Station (home of Australia’s largest Red Kangaroo populations), where he met a old, crusty, self-reliant, rancher named Quinn McBride. In an early morning conversation (after a night of lifting a few), Quin was telling Dan how he used a Kangaroo pelt under a horse's saddle for cushioning and to protect the horse's back from saddle sores. Thinking processed kangaroo skins could have commercial value in relation to Dan's dream of cornering the worldwide cushioned bicycle seat market. He asked, "Quinn, could you tan a Roo hide?" Since it was early morning and the rancher was still shaking the cob webs out of his head , he mockingly, muttered, and repeated to himself - "Quinn, tan a Roo?" Dan said, "Well, excuse me - hmmm - Quintana Roo." The rest is history.
Quote Reply
Re: Why the name "Quintana Roo"? [coyote pelon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Too funny! You get my vote for post of the day.
Quote Reply
Re: Why the name "Quintana Roo"? [QRgirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh you know, a sandal wearing, sombrero sporting, serape wrapped, tequila swilling, tamale munching, donkey riding hombre.

You forgot about the lawnmower.
Quote Reply