Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
"Move In Day" at Transition
Quote | Reply
Gotta love the dudes who bring about 500 items into transition with them.........absolutely comical. One of my favorite parts about racing is people watching, espcially the guys who practically back a U-Hual up to transition with about enough equipment for 10 people. A guy next to me in transition at Timberman had 3 pairs of goggles to choose from, a johnny and a long sleeve wetsuit, about 10 powerbars (all different flavors of course), enough GU for the US Military, a case of electrolytes, a drum of endurox, oil for the chain, "luster spray" for the bike, 2 pairs of sneakers for the run, 5 pairs of socks, 2 pairs of glasses for the bike/run, 2 hats, about a gallon of Hawaiin Tropic, bug spray, two pumps, 3 towels, a bucket of water to clean sand off of his feet, rain coat, 2 pairs of bike shoes, extra tubes, 10 water bottles, magazines to read before the pre-race announcements, a small radio, inhaler for his asthma. Before the race, the guy changes tops three times before finally deciding on the one he had on first. Then, my favorite part, he has a head lamp on his hat, a small flashlight in his mouth, and a larger flashlight in his hand as he made the "final touches" on his bike.......I was like, "dude, if you wait 3 minutes, the sun will be up"......but he was just too cool for school with those lights! Of course, his clothing before the race really made him the man! He's wearing an IM Rhode Island hat, then I noticed a Musselman t-shirt underneath, and a Devilman long sleeve shirt on top...........oh yeahhhh........clearly, this guy is LARGE AND IN CHARGE........MR TRIATHLON! Prior to the race he starts questioning me about my race preparation, calorie intake, nutrition, hydration, fueling, taper, training methodology, PR's, etc, etc, etc. If there was one guy who was ready for this..........it was my man right next to me.......... Thankfully, he arrived at the water 6 hours before his swim wave, because that is about how long he spent in his area.

I would love to hear some of your best transition stories..
Quote Reply
Re: "Move In Day" at Transition [gctri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maybe race directors could sell oversized "luxury" transition spots to people that bring everything they own.
Quote Reply
Re: "Move In Day" at Transition [just du it] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's actually a damn good idea! I'd bet people would pay for that!

------------------
My business-eBodyboarding.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I find it equally comical that you think bringing an inhaler to TA falls under the "Too Much Gear" category for you. Clearly you've never had true asthma, huh?

Although you're right, some people in the TA's are unbelievable. Like this one time, at Timberman, there was this asshole who kept going around and acting all high and mighty because other people there were different from him. This douchebag was making mental notes and jokes about how much stuff other people brought with them, and then tried to act like he never brings extra goggles or talks about race prep and nutrition with other racers!

And remind me to never wear any of my tri shirts around you. Wouldn't want to offend your delicate sense of fashion.

------------------------------------------------------------
"Triathlon is for people who can't handle drugs and alcohol." -IMFL t-shirt

The Dude Abides...
Quote Reply
Re: "Move In Day" at Transition [Raul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wow bro,,, taking this one a little too seriously, dont you think. does it hit a little close to home and are mad that you're gonna have to unpack the u-haul so you dont become another finman 300pg post? im pretty sure the dude was just doing a little venting, maybe even telling of a funny experience he witnessed. wow, and i thought roadies were bad.
Quote Reply
Re: "Move In Day" at Transition [strykar1775] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Actually "bro", I'm just sick of 1) people with a superiority complex at races (oh, right, this IS slowtwitch); 2) people talking shit about asthmatics and inhalers in general; and 3) and a bunch of shit talking about "Mr Triathlon" from someone who's out there doing the same fucking thing at the same fucking time.

And no, just because I didn't jump on the "let's make fun of other people" thread the way you would doesn't mean I'm taking it too seriously. This is a fucking hobby we do for fun in our spare time, and post on a message board with a bunch of douchebags who hide behind the anonymity of the internet. You want to know what I take seriously? The kids who come to the hospital I work at in respiratory arrest and with cases of Stephens Johnson syndrome (look it up) from the drugs that WE give them. That's serious. That's real life.

The Dude Abides...
Last edited by: Raul: Nov 18, 08 20:08
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You know damn well that inhaler smack is the fucking best.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great thread for a Saturday morning - I was reading it thinking "oh damn... that was me when I was just starting out" I'm a bit of a head case before major races so I get quite chatty with the folks at the bike rack. Wonder if annoys them all when I ask what they have in their water bottles..?

http://www.fitspeek.com the Fraser Valley's fitness, wellness, and endurance sports podcast
Quote Reply
Re: "Move In Day" at Transition [Hydrosloth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yeah, you should see my bag setup for tomorrow. im bringing a freaking steamer trunk for a sprint du.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I remember this guy. You were at the soma tri right? Oh, wait it was the tempe international, sorry, LA tri? He was the one with the King size blanket to keep all of his stuff on it. I think he got pissed when I assumed he was a hobo trying to sell gear.
Last edited by: Timbo293: Nov 15, 08 7:09
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm confused, your first post says he shouldn't talk smack about the inhaler being brought. Your second suggests (and I agree) people over medicate. I'm sure you are aware a lot of athletes use inhalers and do NOT have asthma right? (Not suggesting this guy doesn' t though...)

And lastly, the number of F-bombs dropped might suggest you're taking this thread a little too seriously.

Thanks to Euro-Sports for my H3Cs.

http://www.euro-sports.ca
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good God Debbie Downer. Guess I fall into the douchebag category cause I thought that was pretty funny. So fill me in on what I've been missing. Where exactly are people giving shit to asthmatics? I'd also like to invite you to a little get together we're having tonight, I think you'd be a blast!
Hugs and Kisses
-Douchebag
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Administrator [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I took it as a joke. I think most people start out that way unless they have competed in a lot of sports.

And what's wrong with a flash light? :-) I understand 3 is excessive but I find it nice always have a head band one.

"your horse is too high" - tigerchik
Quote Reply
Re: "Move In Day" at Transition [SpencerDC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Of course the guy would have an inhaler, because he's read how 90% of pro triathletes are asthmatic, and use inhalers. Asthma medication contains steroids, and are arguably PE drugs.
http://www.training-conditioning.com/..._on_asthma_meds.html
"Regrettably, some athletes abuse the system. They falsely claim to have asthma so that they can obtain medical clearance to use beta-2 agonists prior to competition. Triathletes appear to be the worst offenders, so much so that in 1999 ESPN.com published a story about the widespread abuse of inhalers prior to races (“Triathletes Suck,” Tom Farrey, ESPN.com, June 14, 1999). At that time, the International Triathlon Union reported that 98 percent of their registered athletes claimed to suffer from asthma. This is compared to a worldwide prevalence of asthma of around 12 to 15 percent."

http://noel-ironman.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I realize this wasn't really the tone of your post, but I knew I was improving as an athlete when I stopped paying attention to what everyone around me was doing. It took me about 10 tri's to stop noticing all the insecurity around me (to match my own) and use that time pre-race to quiet my mind and relax my body. I have enough stress of my own I don't need to feed off everyone else.

Now that I officiate as well I think it's an important part of the job to maintain peace and order in transition so everyone can do their own thing without infringing on everyone else. I run into the occasional U-Hauler like you describe and make sure he stays in his place so no one else is bothered, unless they choose to be.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm one of the dudes who takes 500 items into transition, but it's not because I want/need that many items. I just find it easier for me to stay organized when I put all my stuff in one fairly large bag. I have smaller bags inside my main bag... one bag of socks, one bag of shorts, one of shirts, one for chamois lotion/bodyglide/sunscreen, one for electronic gizmos like HRM or GPS, one for spare bike tubes/tires, one for swim gear, etc., etc., etc.

Call me a gomer if you want, but I can be ready to head to a workout or race in about 3 seconds. All I have to do is grab The Bag and go. Saves a ton of time and hassle.

-

-Mark Rebuck, http://www.markrebuck.com/
Quote Reply
Re: "Move In Day" at Transition [MarkRebuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm a bit like you in that I keep a big duffle bag in my car where I'm prepared for any workout, in any type of weather: hot, cold, rain, wind, snow, and ice. Makes things easier for sure.
Quote Reply
Re: "Move In Day" at Transition [matti58] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's nice to know that Raul, the guy who clearly can't take a joke, and drops more F-Bombs and curse words than anyone on the form, is the guy that works with kids at hospitals...nice.
Quote Reply
Re: "Move In Day" at Transition [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
it's fine to bring in a ton of shit to transition. Just take up your space and your neighbors but be willing to give your neighbors space back when they want it.
personally I just dump my stuff right on top of their shit and make a mini junk pile castle between bikes. Plus if you pile everyone's crap high enough, you can actually use that stuff to rack your bike. just make sure you get to T2 first so you can re-rack before the others.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: "Move In Day" at Transition [matti58] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I'm a bit like you in that I keep a big duffle bag in my car where I'm prepared for any workout, in any type of weather: hot, cold, rain, wind, snow, and ice. Makes things easier for sure.

I do the same thing for workouts and general training. I'm prepared for anything. But for a race, I try to go minimalistic. Less is more for transitions. Plus, if I need something, I usually have it in the car not too far away. It's just easier for me not to encroach on others' space if I keep my transition bag to a minimum.

''The enemy isn't conservatism. The enemy isn't liberalism. The enemy is bulls**t.''

—Lars-Erik Nelson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that you're having an incredibly bad day . . .
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
At least he didn't have fins. ;-)
Quote Reply
Re: "Move In Day" at Transition [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I used to pile up lots of crap, now I use a race day/transition area butler service. Much easier just to have what I need handed to me as well as get good advice on conditions from someone with local knowledge. Figured it was always a good call to play golf with a caddie so why not for races?

My favorite are the folks that bring a stool to sit on while changing shoes.
Quote Reply
Re: "Move In Day" at Transition [romanshowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
It's nice to know that Raul, the guy who clearly can't take a joke, and drops more F-Bombs and curse words than anyone on the form, is the guy that works with kids at hospitals...nice.

No, you're right. I need to work on the "salty language". I have it under control at work, but it seems to coming flying out a lot afterwards. It never sounds that bad to me until I read it or hear someone else say it, then I realize how rough it comes across as.

Our floor takes "kids" up to age 35 though, and their parents. So more often than not, I'm the one blushing and trying to keep other folks' F bombs from spilling out into the hallway.

Working on the language...

The Dude Abides...
Quote Reply

Prev Next