Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: B2B Race Report [dubyakay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No problem. :)

If you can find a post of mine where I crapped on someone's race result/time, I would love to see it so I can personally email the person and apologize.
Happy hunting.
Last edited by: M~: Nov 4, 08 5:17
Quote Reply
Re: B2B Race Report [nippycrisp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Congrats! Sounds like a great time and an amazing race. I'm just waiting for the savageman '09 dates to come out to determine whether or not I can do this one next year. I'm hoping I can!
Quote Reply
Re: B2B Race Report [M~] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey M~,

I thought almost everything about B2B was a glorious experience, tempered only by the fact that there are always a few jerks in every crowd ... as unfortunately you're learning here. There are always people who feel the need to topple others off of pedestals to enhance their relative stature.

Bob C.

The "science" on any matter can never be settled until every possible variable is taken into account.
Quote Reply
Re: B2B Race Report [psycholist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Also give Misty Brown of Wilmington credit for making the awards. Misty is from Wilmington and also raced B2B full. I have a really neat necklace that she made for the Pinehurst awards several years ago.

Quote | Reply
Psycholist...Thanks for posting the photo. That is a very nice medal - I like it a little better than my IMMoo medal from this year, but its close. Both are very impressive.

Glad the race went so well for everyone. I'd like to do it someday.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That isn't quite what you said:

"Those were some fast swim times. I know Set-Up got the distance right, but there must have been a current? I like a good fast course as much as anyone, but not something with an asterick beside it. "

It was the asterick comment that I think may have ruffled some feathers. :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm not very annonymous here. I'd guess there are quite a number of folks who could tell you my full name, where I live and even whether or not I wear boxers or briefs.

You didn't just make a simple comment about the swim. Your second post was the more offensive, in my view. You may not be a jerk in person, but you certainly have not been an uplifting influence in this thread. You've clearly tried to diminish people's accomplishments. Not only that, you were rather degrading to SetUp events who really deserve high praise for staging a very impressive inaugural event. I hope that kind of behavior IS out of character for you.

ROBERT CHAMBERS
Quote Reply
Re: B2B Race Report [PaperChase] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I should have mentioned this earlier, but I got stopped in the Raleigh airport for about ten minutes and drew four crackerjack TSA agents who poked through my bag whispering and looking concerned. None of them would tell me what they were looking for, until one of them asked if I was carrying an unusually large metal object in my suitcase. 'Aha!' I said, reaching in and removing the hamburger-sized medal from a sweater the TSA agents had somehow overlooked. Then they checked to make sure it wasn't a bomb and then quizzed me about the race, starting with our favorite question: "Did you win?"

:)

http://www.noahmwalton.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Even if there was a 5 knot current... uhhh, it's the swim. The bike course was accurate. The run course was accurate. By my math, there were no shortcuts or artificial easements of at least 138.2 miles of the course. If there was point-to-point bike course with 15,000 feet of drop... sure, but this isn't even in the league below something like that. Frankly, getting five or ten on the swim is a rather pleasant way to take pressure off the start of the day. There's no "Damn, I've gotta make up 10 minutes on my bike" feeling. I think that makes the race a little more relxing and might have more of an effect on the rest of the race than little current.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hamburger size medal? Thats got to be one of the biggest out there!?

My IMMoo medal is not nearly that big but its pretty thick = "heavy metal"
Quote Reply
Re: B2B Race Report [PaperChase] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hamburger size medal? Thats got to be one of the biggest out there!?

The guy who ran for my relay team is a young college kid who's a pretty amazing physical specimen. About 6'2, don't know what he weighs, but I'm sure there's hardly an ounce of fat on him and plenty of muscle. If I had to be in a fight, I wouldn't mind him being there to help me.

When they put that medal around his neck after he crossed the line, he said he couldn't stand the weight and had to take it off.

As he was approaching the finish I started to run alongside him with that thing around my neck. Bad move. It got to bouncing and almost knocked my teeth out.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow!

No wonder they stopped Nippy at the airport. That thing could do some major damage if used as a weapon.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
so can you tell me a little more about the wind conditions on the bike? Can you describe the run course a little more- you said it wasnt completey flat? I considering this course for next year and would like to hear more about it- thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: B2B Race Report [thunderbear] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No wind on the course. At least none that I felt.

The run course was awesome. You start running over 2 bridges/overpasses, and then down into historic wilmington over the brick/cobblestone street. Then out of town into a park/neighborhood road system that had zero car traffic and tonnes of aid stations., then back over the main drawbridge back to the battleship. I loved the run course. The only "hills" are the on ramp to the bridge and the other two bridges. And a small hill heading out of downtown. Other than that....flat.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
awesome, sounds like just enough elevation change to work a different muscle group for a little variety...i read somewhere here that the bike course had some rough roads? kind of like the out and back section of IMFL bike course? or not that bad? thanks again.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I thought the roads were actually quite nice, with the exception of one 5-10 miles stretch about halfway through. Smooth roads were surprising, but a welcome one. I would say the run course was slightly more undulating than M~ describes, but that might be because I was sucking ass towards the end and every little hill was blowing my heartrate through the roof...

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This may be a dumb question about the medals.

But do all participants get a medal, or is that a top 3 award?

And is that how it goes for IM races? All get medals?

------------------
@brooksdoughtie
USAT-L2,Y&J; USAC-L2
http://www.aomultisport.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Standing in T1 befoe sunrise the flags were blowing pretty good and it looked like we were going to have a pretty stout NNE breeze in our faces for the outbound leg on the bike course. But at sunrise, it died out pretty much completely. If anything, a bit of a sea breeze may have given us a bit of a push for the first few miles out of T1. The forecast was for a 4 to 7 mile breeze out of the N which would have given us a little push for the final 45 miles, but that most certainly wasn't happeneing when I was out there. I was really looking forward to that tailwind. Didn't happen. Instead, it was a bit of a cross breeze out of the ENE which was a little aggravating given the expectation of a tailwind.

I didn't think the pavement was nearly as nice as was advertised. There were some very nice stretches that went on for long miles, but the only thing that really hurt on my body after the bike was my elbows and upper arms from the beating they took out on the roads. I read Bjarne Moller's (individual overall winner) race report on his blog and he also commented that it wasn't as smooth as he expected. (Maybe he shouldn't have followed my line. ;-) )

Bob C.

The "science" on any matter can never be settled until every possible variable is taken into account.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great race report, i volunteered at the swim finish for this race (strange to be on the other side but very fun) there was one guy who actually swam the full in under 40 minutes?!?!?! I believe he was a relay but still an amazing swim and proof of the current for sure.......those that didn't have sleeves and swam slow ended up very cold, we needed to take care of several people who needed a good 30 minutes in a hot shower to slow the shiverring.......
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You guys must be spoiled with the roads you get to train on. ;) I thought the roads were fantastic. But you should see what i train on. :)
M~
Quote Reply
Re: B2B Race Report [Bux] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Great race report, i volunteered at the swim finish for this race (strange to be on the other side but very fun) there was one guy who actually swam the full in under 40 minutes?!?!?! I believe he was a relay but still an amazing swim and proof of the current for sure.......those that didn't have sleeves and swam slow ended up very cold, we needed to take care of several people who needed a good 30 minutes in a hot shower to slow the shiverring.......

Yeah, he was on a relay - he is a very fast swimmer though, collegiate swimmer and ITU racer who would lead any IM swim, plus he is local and has swam in that channel many times - he knows where to go to get the max push from the current. And there usually is quite a push, it nearly pushed me past the exit last year in a race in that channel.
Quote Reply
Re: B2B Race Report [bad929] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
All finishers get medals. Finishers in the Full at B2B also got a T shirt. In most Mdot races, you get a shirt, hat and medal for crossing the finish. Did you see the picture of the medal above? The small necklace beside the huge medal were the awards at B2B. My husband did the B2B half and his medal is much nicer than any other finisher's medal I have every received.

Prev Next