Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
I did something that I'm not totally proud of ...
Quote | Reply
Actually, I'm a little proud of it. I totally flipped my $&*# at some dude the other day after he was about the millionth person to harass me and my sister on our run. When he actually touched me, I lost it.

The thing that sucks so much though, is that even though I was proud of myself for standing up to this jag, I know that he'll just be telling all his jerko buddies about how some crazy &*$#& flipped out at him for no reason.

I hate street harassment so so so much. :(

Also, if anyone's interested, I posted the whole story on my blog and even edited out the swear words. there were a lot of swear words.

my severely neglected blog
Quote Reply
Re: I did something that I'm not totally proud of ... [jess!] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So... how far did you run? :p

The idea that a couple of women can't go for a run without being harassed really sucks... And in downtown Seattle that's even worse! I really like running in Seattle - though as a dude, I can't say that anyone has ever approached me.

As for your response after having been grabbed/touched, I'm amazed by your restraint.

<If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough>
Get Fitter!
Proud member of the Smartasscrew, MONSTER CLUB
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Re: I did something that I'm not totally proud of ... [Khai] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am surprised too, I wanted so badly to hit the guy but I didn't for two reasons (1) because I really don't believe in violence and (2) because I'm taking the bar exam next year and I don't want to get in trouble and have to disclose an assault to the bar on my application.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
 Guys are asses,that's why I don't date 'em. ;)

Good on you for sticking up for yourself.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I say good on you for flipping out on him. He actually touched you??? Now that's significantly more dangerous than some lewd remarks. If you hadn't flipped out, who know what could have happened.

I screamed a loud "Fu*^$ng B*^ch!!" to some woman who sped right through a stop sign to turn right on to the street. Missed me on my bike by about .05 seconds. I was furious. She then proceeded to drive for about a block in the bike lane. I know, I know... defensive riding. But damnit it pisses me off when people don't stop and then almost hit you. I think it scares the shit out of me so I react...

I'm glad you're ok...

Come crawling faster
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
you should be proud of yourself for standing up for you and your sis. Verbal harrassment is awful... but actually being touched? *shudders*.

what'd your sis say about the whole thing (haven't read your blog so if you mentioned it there, I don't know)

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
good thinking on the bar qualification thing. if you do disclose it, it's bad that you did it. if you don't disclose it, it's bad that you did it and doubly bad that you didn't disclose it. far better not to do it in the first place. my daughter had a relatively minor *issue* that she disclosed and it was resolved, but after 3 years in l.s. and all that tuition $$ it was awful to see her sweat bullets over getting licensed to practice.

best of luck with the exam! and welcome to the bar!
Quote Reply
Re: I did something that I'm not totally proud of ... [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Afterward we went into the terminal to meet my boyfriend and she immediately was like "jessie almost got in a fight with some dude!" I think she was happy that I stood up to him which is good since I was a little embarrassed at myself for losing it at the dude.

She posts on here as Lucy! so maybe she will post her impressions of the incident.

Quote Reply
Re: I did something that I'm not totally proud of ... [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Six responses and no marriage proposal from Chip? He's seriously slipping.

''The enemy isn't conservatism. The enemy isn't liberalism. The enemy is bulls**t.''

—Lars-Erik Nelson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
OK, I read your blog. I just have one question. What types of dudes are hitting on you all the time and doing this shit? Disgusting!

--
01001010 01100101 01101110 01001000 01010011 00100000 01101001 01110011 00100000 01010100 01101000 01100101 00100000 01000100 01100101 01110110 01101001 01101100 00100000 00101000 01100001 01100011 01100011 01101111 01110010 01100100 01101001 01101110 01100111 00100000 01110100 01101111 00100000 01110010 01101111 01100001 01100100 01101000 01101111 01110101 01110011 01100101 00101001 00100001
http://trainingoferic.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: I did something that I'm not totally proud of ... [erichollins] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, we were running in downtown and a football game had just gotten out so it was general city dudes and the one I flipped out on had clearly come from the ball game. The dude who was asking us about how far we went was actually a kind of well dressed dude who was maybe late 20's early 30's. he was in nice jeans and a peacoat.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
OMG I'm glad you are ok! YOu should be proud that you went crazy on him after he touched you. It pisses me off that as women we always have to worry about out safety.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
OK, so a bunch of drunk, horny, testosterone filled dudes. Got it. You should've said "You know chicks with tattoos like me can the ass of you pussies any day!"

--
01001010 01100101 01101110 01001000 01010011 00100000 01101001 01110011 00100000 01010100 01101000 01100101 00100000 01000100 01100101 01110110 01101001 01101100 00100000 00101000 01100001 01100011 01100011 01101111 01110010 01100100 01101001 01101110 01100111 00100000 01110100 01101111 00100000 01110010 01101111 01100001 01100100 01101000 01101111 01110101 01110011 01100101 00101001 00100001
http://trainingoferic.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You did right going after the guy. He probably coulda used a gut check. Same with the other dude.

(gut check being an elbow or knee sharply implanted in his gut)

There is no justice, there is only me. -- Death
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Holy crap! I've had the verbal commentary from time to time, but if someone grabbed my arm it would totally be on. Not okay. Good for you for standing up for yourself! If you'd like to borrow my big idiotic lab/newfie, I've found that very few people bother me when I have him along... :-)

M

------------------------------------------------------------
The beatings will continue until morale improves
Quote Reply
Re: I did something that I'm not totally proud of ... [mdraegernyc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think Jess covered it pretty well... It was ridiculous. I was proud myself for just telling the first guy off, but then when Jess went after the second guy, I was impressed. I thought she was gonna hit him, and honestly since he grabbed her first, and was drunk, and twice as big as her, she would have been acting in self defense. But she showed restraint, and I'm proud of her for that.

I just told my boyfriend what happened, and told him that every time I run, I get honked at or cat-called at least once, often more. He didn't believe me. That's because it never happens when he's running with me. Why do men feel that they can objectify and demean women when they're not around another man? I don't want to feel like I have to have a man running with me just to avoid that kind of behavior. I think I'm just venting at this point...

Anyway, all you men out there that don't cat-call women or comment on their bodies, thank you.
Quote Reply
Re: I did something that I'm not totally proud of ... [Lucy!] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
*coming out of lurk mode*

I'm glad I check in on ya'll today.

Good for you! The harassment is so frustrating. Most guys really don't get it.

I was working in Seattle about 10 years ago and walked to work every day, about a mile each way. Construction started up on a building between my apt and the office. Several times I got catcalls from the workers. One day a woman was walking right behind me and it got pretty bad. She was obviously freaked out and that was it for me. I went back, wrote down the number of the construction company that was proudly announcing they were building this thing. When I got to the office I called them and complained. They gave me the number of the project manager who I then called and complained. He then gave me the number of the construction site manager who I called and complained to as well. Ultimately it worked up and down the chain of command. My co-workers were shocked that I was pursing this as far as I was. I was so pissed I was shooting sparks out my ears.

I got a call a couple days later from someone high up in the company explaining that they were day laborers, would not be hired again and all of there permenant employees would be going through a training class on harassment and how they were responsible for stopping in on their construction sites. He apologized profusely, explained this is never tolerated on their job sites and gave me his direct number in case it happened again.

Fighting back works. Just be careful if they are drunk. I've had guys do some really stupid shit to me when they are drunk. Too unpredictable unless you have lots of other people around.

*back to lurk mode*

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good on you for flipping out on the guy. Assault? No way. No guy in the world is going to call that one in, even if you'd caved his head in.

It is very odd how girls I've known/dated/married have this sort of thing happen to them but I've only seen it once in my life and not with any of the aforementioned girls. It's a huge blank spot to guys who don't do it and somehow the guys who do manage to do it completely alone.
Quote Reply
Re: I did something that I'm not totally proud of ... [mayhew] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, my dad never was aware of the catcalls, odd grab attempts and other such activities I received on a regular basis growing up. Momma, on the other hand, was well aware. Heck, she was with me when some dude tried to back me into an alley in New Orleans. Dad was, however, very supportive of my acquired habit of always carrying a weapon with me. I only once had to even start drawing said weapon before the carload of drunk frat boys decided I wasn't such a good target after all.

I don't have such issues these days. I mean, I still get the occasional catcall (and that doesn't bother me a bit to be honest), but when I'm out jogging its usually pre-dawn and I always have a doberman trotting by my side. Those guys are far less inclined to objectify someone that's a) bigger than they are (at 6', I usually am bigger) and b) have a dog with an undeserved reputation for being incredibly dangerous and a very deserved reputation for being extremely protective. That and I've been accused of carrying myself like a cop.

The long and short of it is, men aren't going to push that envelope if they think you are with the woman in question because YOU are a danger to them (in their minds). You probably also hang out with a better class of men, so you're less likely to see the behavior socially.

There is no justice, there is only me. -- Death
Quote Reply
Re: I did something that I'm not totally proud of ... [dreaming~big] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When I was 20 and in college, I got picked up for minor in possession. I ended up agreeing to deferred adjudication -- 8 hours of community service later, the charge was dismissed. I've disclosed it on every bar application I've had to fill out -- Texas, Michigan and Colorado. When they say disclose, they mean it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wouldn't worry TOO much about the bar application issue. I had something on my record from my younger days (stupid stuff). But I've been admitted in Alabama and Florida. You always get a chance to explain and they really only appear to use it to exclude significant offenses -- I don't think bashing a$$holes would fall into that category. I was very stressed leading up to my first exam since I got called down to the state bar office 2 weeks before the bar to meet with the ethics committee about my background (again, stupid, but there nonetheless). I arrived at my assigned time and it was like a class reunion -- there were about 20 of my classmates. It was more like getting lectured by your parents about doing stupid stuff. The second go 'round in Florida was no problem at all other than it took about 3-4 weeks longer for my application to be approved than normal.

BTW, I think it sucks that guys act like that. I always forget that stuff happens and can never figure out why my wife won't run at night. I'm glad she thinks about it -- I think it is just beyond my comprehension that those creeps are out there. I think what the other poster said is accurate -- no guy is going to report you beating his a$$ any day of the week. If you do, I doubt there's a cop in the world that would arrest you -- he'd say the other guy got what he had coming.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you can remember it in the heat of the moment:
Arm your cellphone to be ready to take a picture, or learn how to get it in camera mode quickly. Suggest your running mate do same. It's likely one of you can get off some shots. You never know when the next runner will be harassed on the same trail/road again by maybe the same guy. Your pictures may be helpful if somebody gets hurt, or worse.

Paul

ErgVideo.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Run with pepper spray the next time...then you can make us all proud with your aiming of a toxic chemical and accurately hosing down that a$$hole with it while holding race pace.
Quote Reply
Re: I did something that I'm not totally proud of ... [Sabrekitty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have been running with my dog too although I don't think he's quite as threatening

I guess he could poke an attacker to death with his snaggle tooth :)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You *should* be proud of yourself - your defended yourself, even if only verbally, against some asshole. What gives him the right to harass you like that? And I have to say, you have more self-control than I do. I've gotten into shouting matches with jerk guys, but I have to admit, if there were a stick handy........

(I *have* whacked guys with my hockey stick on the ice, but that was always appropriate. They deserved it. :D)

--------------------

http://thethighmasterroutetokona.blogspot.com
Quote Reply

Prev Next