Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Asthma Q - how much improvement w inhaler?
Quote | Reply
This past August, I went to an allergist for another reason, but she's determined that I have asthma based on past and current testing.
I have now been on the inhaler since early August. If anyone has been through the same thing, how much of a difference (if any) in your speeds has occurred?
I haven't noticed a difference in my runs, but I moved up a lane at my master's swim group and I don't feel like there's a big weight on my chest if I'm going hard any more.
I'm going back for another lung test on Oct. 30th, my first re-check didn't show improvement but I had just had a cold.
Quote Reply
Re: Asthma Q - how much improvement w inhaler? [determination] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't think the inhaler provides long term improvement. It provides imediate relief. For me, it lets me swim/bike/run like there's no pollutants in the air. If the air is clear I don't need it, if the air isn't clear and I don't use it, after 5-10 minutes I can't take a deep breathe and feel like I'm breathing through a straw. If the air is bad from Vog, I can't swim without using my inhaler. Same with running, not even at a very easy pace. I can bike, as long as there are no hills and I stay at my low recovery effort.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Which inhaler are you using?

Albuterol? Combivent? Symbicort?
Quote Reply
Re: Asthma Q - how much improvement w inhaler? [TriElvis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's called QVAR.

A few years ago I had an albuterol one I was supposed to use when I was being bothered by the symptoms but when I did use it, it didn't seem to help. I stopped using it.
So now I've been put on this daily QVAR one.
2 puffs every morning.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I started Qvar (with the extension tube thing that's supposed to "filter" out the bigger particles) this season and it has really helped. I PRed in every race this year and I've only had to use the quick acting inhaler ocassionally, as opposed to before every swim and run.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am on Qvar too. it takes a while to start working (I was told 3-4 weeks). I don't think it works for me at all though.
Quote Reply
Re: Asthma Q - how much improvement w inhaler? [PirateGirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm hoping to see if this will help me or not when I go back for testing on the 30th.

What's funny is that I've never really had the "classic" asthma attack, so I figured that I just didn't have the ability... you know, like as women we sometimes just figure we don't have the ability when really something else might be going on.
I had an Oly distance PR (same course as my previous PR) this August after being on the QVAR inhaler for 2 weeks, but I was told it takes 3-4 weeks to work. However, I mainly attribute that 2 minute PR to a good swim and great T2. I didn't PR the bike or the run. Close on the run, but not a PR.

More recently, I've moved up a lane at master's swimming and I don't feel like I'm gasping for air when we do some "hard" intervals.
I took 2nd at a recent cyclocross race (CX-4) but I didn't beat anyone I hadn't beaten before except this one lady on a mt. bike but the course was definitely not geared towards that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Qvar in laymans terms is an anti-inflamatory for the lungs. At one time I was on a similar product and had to quit due to side effects.
I was diagnosed with asthma and had NO idea I had it (even competing in 3 Ironmans).... but all I use now is Albuterol MDI prior to exercise. It has greatly reduced my perceived exertion. I don't feel like I was beat in the chest by a gorilla after a long run anymore.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have had asthma since I was a kid, and nothing worked as well for me as Advair. I tried Singulair pills, but they didn't seem to help. The Advair once a day has reduced my 'emergency' inhaler of albuterol to once or twice a week - which is huge for me. I can also workout outside with much less effort - not sure about being faster, but my heart rate is certainly more manageable. I agree with Pirategirl, though, that on bad air days, hard workouts outside are difficult regardless.

Leanne Charnas
Co-Owner,
Tri-Tech Multisport
Columbus, Ohio
Quote Reply