Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Weekly "How'd You Do?" Thread 10/13/08
Quote | Reply
I wanna hear about Dawn's race :D and did we have any Womens in KONA?

My goal from last week: get enough sleep.
6/7 days, not bad. It was the week before fall break at school, plus I had to work one day (and that meant a 90 min commute late one night, to be on the island for the next morning). Overall, I did well... and now that I am on fall break, I have spent a lot of time catching up on sleep.

training totals from the week:
run - 30.4 mi (5 runs)
swim - 40,100 scy (7 swims)
elliptical - 65 min
bike - 40 min

Not bad. I am still trying to make peace with food and weight and eating... and trying to be OK with the fact that getting some swimmer muscle back (and swimming faster!) means the # on the scale will go up... this does not sit well in my head. But I did have 2 sandwiches last week (another goal). Was a bit anxious over them. But I did it.

I have a new run coach now :-) GOAL 1 for this week: I am one lucky girl to have J. coaching me, so the goal is DON'T SCREW THIS UP. In other words, do as he says.

GOAL 2: swim at least 35k. Bonus points if I can get 40k in but as I didn't swim yesterday (I think of weeks as Sun-Sat) not sure that volume will happen. Though we're off to a good start with 7.7k this AM.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Last edited by: tigerchik: Oct 13, 08 7:15
Quote Reply
Re: Weekly "How'd You Do?" Thread 10/13/08 [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Goals for last week...

1) 7 hours of training...

missed....but close..got in 6:17 but had family obligations..

2) 2 runs...go for normal...

done...and feeling close to normal..

3) try one night bike ride...

done, went out with my wife and it was a blast...

4) finalize and tape last adventure run course...

done...nice course...

5) Rollerski once...

yep...felt ok...

didn't include it but I hovered around 174 lbs all week....thats 2 lbs up from where I would like....

Next week:

1) get in over 7.5 hours hours of training...slighly more to make up for recent short weeks...
2) get one rollerski in...
3) hover around 173 for weight.
4) put on Adventure Run on Friday with 30 plus people...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
LAST WEEK'S GOALS:
Get through dental appts.
I am so very tired of going to the dentist. I have 3 appts this week. UGH.

Start better eating habits.
Working on it.

Exercise when it fits in w/ feeling up to par and stop stressing when I miss a run or what not, it's the down time for me.
Did pretty good here.

Complete my first ever DU. I've only ever done Tri's and am doing a Sprint Du on saturday! I haven't ridden my bike in 2 weeks :)
THe DU was fantastic and it was nice to end the season with a new to me race!

THIS WEEKS GOALS:

* Swim 2 times. And swim because I love it so much, not to 'train' per se.
* Rest.
* Improve eating habits even more - start writing everything down!
* Start planning out the 2009 season - I have a big goal and would like to make it happen in 2009.

My 2008 race season officially ended on Saturday with a DU. And I must say, I am glad as I am feeling fatigued. I throughly enjoyed my season and it went better thenI thought it could. Goes to show you hard work actually does pay off.

I weighed in at 169.5, finally getting out of the 170's. WHEW. I plan on NEVER seeing that number again.

How'd everyone else make out?

Proud member of the Guru Cartel, EH!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
18 days til IMFL and ... I have a head cold. So my one of my last training weekends before my taper, weather is sunny and beautiful, and I was in bed. :(

I am trying to talk myself off the ledge ... better to be sick now than 18 days from now. I keep telling myself this.

Training up until I got sick was a-okay. But the weekend was a wash, and I had all sorts of fun stuff planned.
Quote Reply
Re: Weekly "How'd You Do?" Thread 10/13/08 [squesen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm sure you've gotten in enough training by now that one weekend won't make or break you. Feel better soon!

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Goals for last week:
1) Refocus on nutrition -- Did a bit better to the weekend where I didn't eat enough and what I did eat was really unhealthy.
2) Rest -- Take the Dr's advice and no workouts till next Monday at the earliest -- Done. I was able to schedule enough meetings and outings with friends that I didn't really have time to workout.

Goals for this week:
1) Get back on the training -- complete all of the workouts given to me by the coach
2) Eat more veggies!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for starting the thread this week TC.

AmZof was absolutely amazing!! Everyone who likes climbing on the bike and trail runs should think about doing one of the three distances (middle distance added for next year). Really fun day. I opted for the short course race (5 / 29 / 5) after riding one loop of the bike on Thursday. No way in hell I could do long course (well, maybe if I had a 2 hour head start!!). The trail run is through the woods behind the transition/pavilion area. You are either going up or going down the whole way. About 1 mile from the end, you run just above the pavilion and you can hear the announcer and smell the food. The bike ride is really, really tough. Right after you exit the park, you start climbing and climbing. It took me about 13 minutes to get to the top. That climb was easy on Thursday, but not so much on Sunday after the first 5 mile trail run. That's only the first climb and there's lots of others through the rest of the ride. Beautiful course. I am so glad I got a chance to do this race. Everyone who enjoys this type of racing should really try to make it to New Paltz next year. This is definitely a must-do race.

Not sure what my goals were last week, but I'm so happy with how Sunday went, I don't care. I maintained my weight too even though I was rooming with AndyPants and we were going through lots of red wine.

This week:
- down 1 lb
- recover from the race and do at least 2 easy workouts
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Last week's goals:

-keep with the clean eating, despite family coming to visit: A+++!!! I went out to eat twice and kept everything as 'good' as humanly possible. I even started to go for a piece of cake and then stopped myself mid-cut because I couldn't get the feeling out of my head that it would make me feel AWFUL. Having UC sucks, but it has done wonders for my self control when it comes to sweets/crap.

-repeat previous week's workouts + one more run: A+++!!! Not only did I get in all of my workouts (3 1800 scyd swims, 3 45 min trainer workouts, 3 20 minute runs), one of those runs was 42 minutes :-) My fiancee decided to run with me one evening (never happens, he literally runs at twice my speed), and 'tricked' me into going an extra 22 minutes.

-get moving on my paper: C :-( Yet again, the research aspect is going GREAT, but the actual writing ...umm ...not so good. I'm going to be spending all of today playing catchup.

-survive my first trip(s) into the BSL3: Wow, it is going to take some getting used to ...and according to my boss, I am going to be spending a ton of time in there waddling around. Then again, how many graduate students get to conduct their thesis research in a high containment lab on select agents :-)

This week:
-continue eating clean
-continue increasing workouts
-FINISH paper ...due monday the 20th, so this is pretty important

BTW, great job on the sandwiches, TC!!! I've had some strange eating 'habits' in the past, and I know what a big deal that is.
Quote Reply
Re: Weekly "How'd You Do?" Thread 10/13/08 [DawnT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nice job - enjoy the recovery week!

Quote Reply
Re: Weekly "How'd You Do?" Thread 10/13/08 [Leloo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm writing a thesis too - mine's an undergrad thesis, though. Haven't had much motivation to work on it lately... I worked for 90 min on it yesterday. Will get more done today :P

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Right now I'm just working on my qualifying exam. To summarize, I have to spend an entire semester beating my head against a wall over a topic I will never look at again to simply have the privilege of being able to spend the next 3+ years researching/working on my actual thesis project :-P

My department (microbiology) is one of the last ones at UAB that has you base your qualifying exam off of something totally not related to your mentor's work ...you dream up a year long project (you never actually attempt it), write a paper on it and verbally defend it ...and then toss it to the side (if you pass) so you can repeat the whole process to be approved for your true project ...grr!!!!!!!

At least I have a personal interest in the topic I chose: the relationship between non-antibiotic associated Clostridium difficle infection and Inflammatory Bowel Disease ...it basically sums up the past year of my life :-P

My real thesis work is probably going to have something to do with HPAI (avian flu, H5N1) and drug resistance studies.

What is your thesis topic?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm an exercise science major and it's an Honors thesis - so depending on how I do I'll graduate with Honors, High Honors, or Highest Honors...

topic: looking at Dara Torres' recent 2 silver olympic medals at age 41. Started out with the question "how do you keep world class swimming performance in an "older" athlete" and narrowed it down to looking at her amino acid supplement and resistance stretching routine, which she claims are her "magic bullets" and trying to decide, are they as effective as she says. So basically I'm looking at the science behind both... the kinesiology behind the stretching... then the nutrition/biochemistry of the amino acids.

And now I am going to go work on it!!!

One of the hard things is when I am tired from swimming... or frustrated with it... I do not want to work on a thesis about swimming. And one of those, tired from it or frustrated with it, is usually true... LOL. But the kines stuff (right now I'm learning about neurological control of movement/stretching/how it's all at the neurological level with how muscles fire... as they claim the resistance stretching and her lifting workouts are effective because they're a good neurological stimulus) is not swim specific, and goes from downright dull to horribly interesting, if I find a little "gold nugget" I can use!

Thanks for asking. Your school's system sounds weird. I had to list a bunch of topics, then pick one. My first choice was "overtraining and sex drive [or lack thereof]" but my advisor said NO. I still think that would've been a GREAT paper and I haven't gotten over it yet :P

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Question, maybe a little silly, but, when "replying" to these threads - is there an accepted "netiquette" ?? as in, do I reply to original person, or, latest reply...

Anyway... congrats to all you writers, doing all that writing, mine is on the creative side, not academic, but I know how narly those deadlines can be! So, keep up the good work!

And DAWN CONGRATS on the race. I've done some riding around there, maybe even on the same roads, and they are TOUGH for sure. (and sorry I missed out on meeting you!)

Ummm... my week, well, was not-so-focused-on-training. Didn't put down goals for last week. Not planned, just forgot. So in a way haha anything I did was above what I "planned." Sort of. But, I was in THREE different places in one week, guess I need to cut myself a break.

One bike ride (longer than most recent other ones at least)
One swim (also longer!)
Three runs (up to 32 minutes!!)
One core/stretch
Two foam rolls

It feels like way too little but it's certainly not horrible. Food was okay, didn't lose any more weight but kept steady.

Finally I am back at home after 2 1/2 months of mostly being away. This is both good and challenging - in that - I am now back in the city with many many distractions from eating healthfully and more intrusions on training but on the other hand, I can probably be more organized about it all.

This week - 2 bikes, 3 swims, 3 runs, 1 weights, 2-3 stretch/core etc.
Quote Reply
Re: Weekly "How'd You Do?" Thread 10/13/08 [minniepearl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't think it matters who you respond to, but you have to realize that many people get an e-mail notification when you do reply to their post. So, I usually respond to the OP if I'm just adding something to the general discussion. I reply to a particular person if I'm responding to what they said.

Sorry I missed meeting you too. Definitely a beautiful part of the country to be riding. I can't wait to go back.

How did the play go?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I swam 7 times in Kona and ran a few times and walked A LOT. Ate pretty decently too. Drank beer every day, but never stayed out late.

Came back with a cold, so I'm trying to get rid of that. This week it's back to the gym and the bike.

clm

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A slightly belated answer... thanks. And that's what I thought, the answer the OP thing, unless specifically answering a specific person. Like this. :-)

Hey next time you are in the New Paltz area, or anywhere near it, maybe we'll meet then! And thanks for asking about the play, it went pretty well. Audiences seemed to like it - and I felt good about what I did - although the first 2 nights we only had 9 people each time in the audience! It got better throughout the 2 weeks, luckily.
Quote Reply