Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Ironman Cozumel - A (long) pictorial preview
Quote | Reply
Took a quick mental break from IMAZ training last weekend and headed to Coz for a few days of head-clearing diving before the last push. My friend Christi - a Texan that lives in Coz and runs the best dive op on the island - Blue XTSea Diving (http://www.bluextseadiving.com/, if you go to do IM Coz or just to dive, look her up) offered to drive me around the bike course so I could take some pics and report back for people that haven't been there or seen the course.

Not sure why they picked Thanksgiving weekend time. That is traditionally a very busy time of year, the start of high dive season, so I'd look into rooms sooner rather than later......

It rained one morning I was there for about 15 minutes, hard. The streets were flooded for a couple hours, the drainage isn't very effective. If it rains be prepared for some deep puddles.

Lodging - I've only stayed two places. Casa Mexicana is a very nice hotel in downtown, clean rooms, great verandas, in room fridges, good free breakfast, about 2 blocks from the finish if they finish in downtown (which accdg to the map they do). Pool.
Bahia Suites is a sister hotel, a little lower scale, but functional and cheaper. Only a few ocean view rooms, worth the extra couple bucks. two blocks from Casa Mexicana so even closer to the finish. No pool, but small kitchen and stove (i had a full size fridge). If you dive, Christi picks up guests at the pier almost right in front of the hotels.

Another option is El Cantil, condos located about .5 mile south of downtown. I've been in a couple units and they are very nice. Brand new supermarket going up across the street so convenient to cook in.

Casa Mexicana - for the run, note the palm for the prevailing wind. I did two runs, both times a nice head/crosswind going north, gets a little furnace-y heading back south....

Bahia Suites

Transition:
Transition is in Chankanaab Park. It costs something like $16 US to get in the park, so we just drove in and took a couple quick pics. Chankanaab is about 4-5 miles south of San Miguel, Coz's downtown (and the finish line). All I saw was the parking lot, I hope transition is not here as it's pretty crummy concrete

The pavilion at Chankanaab, as far as I could tell the only way to get to the road is thru this, but not sure if running thru it will be required

Swim:
The swim starts at Chankanaab beach. Since I was too cheap to go in, I took some pics from the boat on our way in from diving. Sorry, was using a 15 mm fisheye lens so couldn't get closer. Accdg to the website, the swim goes south from the beach. NAS' site says it's two loops. IMCoz site says it's 1 loop. I am thinking more two loops, since there is a natural bay at the south side about a half mile out that would serve as a good turning point.

A note about the currents. Coz is world famous for drift diving in currents. There are always currents somewhere, and the prevailing current is south to north, making the return trip easier. However, Christi (who's owned her dive op for 6 years) says that in Chankanaab shallows, for some reason it's the only place where the current sometimes runs north to south. Perhaps it's an eddy. At any rate, one way will be with, one way will be against, highly unlikely there will be no current, but it's possible.

Chankanaab beach park (the pyramid) from the water, swim goes left to right and return

Last note on the swim, the prevailing wind comes generally across the island from the east/northeast. That's why all the diving is on the protected west coast, and not much development on the east. Occasionally, Coz gets "nortes" or winds directly from the north, most often in the winter. When this happens, the west gets blown out and high surf, and often the port is closed to boats. Christi said if a good norte comes thru on race day, it might be a du, might be too rough to swim in. In Nov 2006 a norte closed all diving for 5 days. Something to be aware of.

On that note, Coz is hurricane country. All of this could be changed if Coz is unlucky enough to get hit later this season or next. Wilma devastated the island a couple years ago, if that happens October 2009, I can't see a tri going forward.

Bike:
The bike follows the only road around the south of the island, then north to the only turn, then east for a couple miles before returning (X2). About as simple a bike course as can be, no turns cuz there aren't any. But there isn't any protection from sun or wind either, and it's flatter than AZ. The prevailing winds are from the east/northeast. But the bike course goes south - east - north - west, and then reverses. You'll have headwind and tailwind, guaranteed. Get comfortable. You will be in aero for a very very long time

The "new road" is in very good condition, 2 lane for all but about 5 miles at the turnaround which is 4 lane. At the turn north about 1/2 way in, there is a section of "new road" that has yet to be built. Surprised that NAS/WTC granted an IM based upon a promise of this, and it would seem they could finish this 5-7 mile section by 11/09, but this is MX after all. If you're racing you hope they do, as the "old road" has some good sections but has been storm battered and has lots of tire eating potholes. Not to mention narrow...... although scenic. As of 10/5, they hadn't even begun to clear or grade the new section for the "new road".

Entrance and exit to Chankanaab

Bike heading south - Mezcalitos is about 3 miles from the turnaround

Turning east, into the wind

Long, straight flat section heading east into headwind

Turn north - End of the current "new road", continuing on "old road" to the right. I would imagine that by 11/09 they'll have completed this approx 5-7 mile section, but whether it gets hit by a hurricane or gets finished, who knows.

Barren, but scenic

and bumpy

There are I think only 3 or 4 small bars/restaurants on the east side

The famous Coconuts bar on the right. Highest spot on the island. They have books (lots of them) of polaroids of girls that got drunk enough to flash for the photographer. From the quick audit I did, it's not worth stopping on the bike for :(

Coconuts (to the right) is also where the "new road" resumes.

Looking south from Coconuts, new road ends.....

Looking south, bike return, from Coconuts, note prevailing winds

3 miles to west turn

The turn at Mezcalitos - note the wind on the palm to the left

Nowhere to turn here but left. Stop at Mezcalito's for a cerveza

Heading to the turn around, still flat, nice tailwind but not as nice scenery... and looking forward to a headwind coming back. Downtown San Miguel (where run ends) is 9 miles straight ahead. Road is 4 lane, even tho it looks like 2 side by side 2 lanes.

Local training. I actually did see 3 cyclists on this road.

Entrance to San Gervasio ruins, turn around more or less

Run:
Accdg to the website, the run is two 13.1 mile loops, which would end the race at Transition. But the map shows the finish line in downtown San Miguel, about 5 miles north of transition. So maybe 1 larger loop and one smaller loop? I did note that they will require you to remove your stuff from transition by midnight. That's going to be a hassle to get 2000 athletes back down to transition (especially if you finish at 11:59), the cabbies will be drooling.
It's flat flat flat. One minor rise at the airport going north, hardly worth mentioning

I ran most of the course when I was there. The first 2 or 3 miles going north will be asphalt, then approximately another 2 on asphalt or concrete, depending on whether they route the course on the street or sidewalk. Next 2 or so miles north will be concrete, as both the street and the sidewalk are concrete. Last mile or so is asphalt.

They say they are closing the course to traffic. That should be interesting, although there are no cruise ships on Sundays so the town should be a little quieter than when they are around (whichis crazy)

Run north through downtown

Turnaround is somewhere near the buildings top left

Run returning south. Finish line is I think at the ferry terminal, where the flag is

Run south approaching cruise ship terminal, about 5 miles from Chankanaab, can see the concrete or concrete running option well here

If you need a frapuccino, the most understated Starbucks ever, under the cruise ship entry area (of course)

If you are fast enough to be racing in daylight, the only shade on the run course, under the cruise ship entry area, looking south

Run looking south, likely routed on wide sidewalk

Run looking south, likely routed on motorscooter path to the right. If it's been raining, the jungle on the right will be mosquito filled :(

4K to transition

Run leaves the main road and follows the "old road" to and from transition

Just north of transition, Fiesta Americana on the left, the closest host hotel (I think)

Last edited by: ChrisM: Oct 12, 08 17:19
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Cozumel - A (long) pictorial preview [ChrisM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Every morning a gazelle wakes up knowing, it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be killed...
Every morning a lion wakes up knowing it must outwit and outrun (at least) the slowest gazelle or it will starve to death...
It doesn't matter whether you are a lion or a gazelle, when the sun comes up, you'd better start running.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the pics! This look like it will be fun!

Quote | Reply
thanks for the detailed description! makes a newbie not *quite* so apprehensive...

----------------------------------------------
http://joneslovesnewbones.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Chris,
Thank you for this excellent and detailed report.
Can't wait to be there racing !

Disclaimer : work in bike/triathlon industry
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks. Your posting is an excellent resource for those of considering IM Cozumel.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thank you much! I was curious about this race!! I've been there before, but didn't go far beyond the touristy area. =)

http://ugwi.blogspot.com
twitter: lauravwheatley
*ugwi* u gotta want it
Team Rev3 Triathlon
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I will be in Riviere Maya in the beginning of january and I plan to ride the course...

I will keep you informed on the road condition.

jf
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SO let me get this straight. You took a break from training (wherever you live) for AZ to drive to Mexico to spend the weekend with a friend (female) who lives there and owns a dive shop. She drove you around the bike course, and the run course for you to take pictures. She took you out on (one of) her boats to take pictures of the water. You went and had beers in some little town in mexico.

And if I read your (fantastic - if I hadn't mentioned it already) report correctly . . . . . . . . . . . . . . you stayed in a hotel!?!?!?!? Please tell me I'm wrong or some pertinent facts have been left out
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Cozumel - A (long) pictorial preview [Lamar Latrell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
SO let me get this straight. You took a break from training (wherever you live) for AZ to drive to Mexico to spend the weekend with a friend (female) who lives there and owns a dive shop. She drove you around the bike course, and the run course for you to take pictures. She took you out on (one of) her boats to take pictures of the water. You went and had beers in some little town in mexico.

And if I read your (fantastic - if I hadn't mentioned it already) report correctly . . . . . . . . . . . . . . you stayed in a hotel!?!?!?!? Please tell me I'm wrong or some pertinent facts have been left out

LOL, well, mostly correct. Flew down there. Without my wife. We were out diving and I asked the capt to navigate close to the park so I could get pics. And she is just a friend, really :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh, OK. Now I get it. Sorry to have bothered you. So you FLEW down there. WITHOUT your wife. To go diving with this girl for the weekend. Without your wife. But all of my other statements remai true - except that you were WITHOUT YOUR WIFE. That explains everything.

http://www.lyricsondemand.com/...stafriendlyrics.html

p.s. I hope you know I'm just kidding around
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Cozumel - A (long) pictorial preview [Lamar Latrell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
clearly his wife is awesome.

----------------------------------------------
http://joneslovesnewbones.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I do. Trust me, every time I go on a dive trip my friends ask "did you bring your wife this time?" usually the answer is no....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Chris, thanks for the pics. Good luck at IMAZ.

To everyone who's doing IMCOZ, you'd better practice your spanish!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngRq82c8Baw

"Yo tengo dos bicicletas........" :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great preview! Thanks!

Any suggestions on places to stay AFTER the race?

Thanks again.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
First of all, that is really cool of you to post all these photos.

because........

A group of my friends (and myself) were considering doing this race in 2010. I can honestly say after seeing these photos, thanks but no thanks, I'll be heading to IMOO.

The water looks fantastic, but everything else...........?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Brings back some memories. I spend a few vacations in Coz diving...I really miss it. The people are very, very kind.

Tip to spectators (or racers post-race): Hang out at Mezcalito Mike's, a little margarita shack at the Mezcalito turn. Mike's a colourful ex-pat who makes margaritas so good and so potent you'll be hallucinating. Good thing he has kick-ass hammocks. Oh, and his rule a few years back was that women who, uh, give him a little flash get free drinks.

If you're looking for a great place to stay that's reasonable, check out Alicia's Bed and Breakfast. Another ex-pat, her B&B is away from downtown in the residential area, but about $2 cab ride to downtown. DON'T stay in the all-inclusives out of town (but close to the race site). The food is dismal at the all-inclusives, and food in town in Cozumel is super-cheap, and very, very good. Eat off the beaten track. La Cocay is AMAZING for a celebratory/romantic meal (not cheap). Prima is a bit pricey, but they have a killer seafood platter. Casa Denis is great food, good prices. Zermatt bakery has amazing pastries (not ideal IM food though).

Chankanaab is a great place to take kids, etc. Fun snorkelling, they have a Sea Lion show, and it's just damned cool.

Avoid downtown when the greatest number of cruise ships are in. Blech.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for posting these pics! I wanted to register, but it's filled.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Cozumel - A (long) pictorial preview [DamonHenry] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just a bump, since people getting ready for this may not have seen it
Quote Reply