Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Mental Health Day?
Quote | Reply
Are these allowed during training? I'm struggling!
Did a 3hr run yesterday that trashed my legs and I cannot fathom heading out for a 5+ hour ride by myself! All of my training partners have other things going on today. I'm battling some hamstring pain and my knees and feet are just ANGRY today. I'm sick of hurting.
Silverman is 5 weeks from today...I can't really afford to skimp on these long workouts but I just don't think i can get it done today. All I want to do is sleep and ice my legs. I don't really doubt that I can finish the race (the run is my only concern), it's just a question of how painful I'm going to make the whole experience.
I have 2 hard, long weeks left....I'm going to plunk myself on the trainer for as long as I can take it after while....it's such a gorgeous day I feel like such an ass! I try to stay so thankful for the abilities to train and race like this and to really enjoy it (becuase I'm certainly not going to win anything...) but I'm having a tough go of it today.

This is fairly normal, yes? And I'm sorry to whine to everyone. I'm sure everyone has better things to do on a Sunday..

AW
Quote Reply
Re: Mental Health Day? [AWARE] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had a few of these weekends too. I was fortunate enough that I would just take the Monday off work and make it up then. If you can do that, great! Just enjoy today and don't even think about the ride. Then you can wake up tomorrow morning refreshed and get out there.

Quote | Reply
Listen to your body. Your feet, knees, hamstrings are all yelling at you to take a break!! Much much better to go into a race slightly under trained than over trained or worse - injured. Relax. Take the day. The rest of your training will be better for the break. And don't worry about it. You've done the work. If it's a gorgeous day get out for a long walk and soak it in. You will be much happier for it.
gb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had a meltdown over training and stuff yesterday. They're allowed. They're normal. Whine all you want.

I'll pass on an email a friend sent me yesterday - "It's ok not to run or race tomorrow. You don't need to beat yourself up by doing a hard workout when things are going bad. "

Yesterday night I was pretty dead set on doing nothing today. I felt okay when I got up, so I ran, then hit the pool and had a good time. Take it easy on yourself today, in a couple days you'll be raring to go again.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Take the day off and enjoy every minute of it!

Good advice to go into a race a little undertrained than overtrained. Undertrained you are at least rested and your body is ready to go.

One long ride isn't going to mean the difference between finishing and not finishing. Clearly your body needs the rest. You are well on your way to injury so rest now before you really do yourself in.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Take the day off and don't feel guilty about it for one minute. I was recently in a similar situation and pushed a 2.5 hour run..about six weeks ago..and wound up really injured for a couple of weeks. Things are finally back to normal but what could've probably been a few days turned into weeks.

I've learned that consistency is the key. Some days, if I have a tough workout and "it's" just not there, I'm MUCH better off pushing it to another day and letting go of an easier workout. If I don't, the key workout isn't done as it should be, I risk injury, and I'm just grumpy for the rest of the week. Taking one extra day off here and there makes for a happier, healthier, less stressed out triathlete IMHO.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
YES! You would not be normal if you were not tired mentally & physically now...so, just spin around for a shorter time and see how you feel..it is hard to run 3 hours one day and try to go long the next day - body is just rebelling. HOPE you feel better soon after 1 day of less! good luck!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Listen to your body and tell your mind to STFU. You'll be better for it.
Quote Reply
Re: Mental Health Day? [dupeetriclub] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As I drove to one of my friends' houses to run errands with him this afternoon I was feeling guilty as I passed people on bikes. I laughed and said this exact same thing! You've all made me feel much better about being schlepping. It's funny how in our minds we really know one thing - that one day off won't hurt and I'm better for resting than for hurting myself - yet our minds and bodies together don't really want to accept it....

Wandered around WalMart, Autozone, Sam's Club, ate a fantastic sushi lunch and managed to hit up church this evening. Picked up a new ice pack and a HUGE box of cereal. Looked at the week ahead and am feeling much better about the work ahead. Have to stop by the LBS tomorrow to discuss saddles, but BRING ON THE LONG SWIM!!

Thank you all for being smarter than my mind today!

AW
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
glad you're feeling better - enjoy the swim!

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply