Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

racing on the islands
Quote | Reply
Ok, question for all you island peeps. I'm thinking of planning a vacation/marathon for next Sept and wanted some input. I just got my newest issues of RTs magazine and there is to be an inaugural race-marathon on the island of Kaua'i. Never been to that island, but went to Maui last Feb. and loved it. Soooooo, I'm considering either this marathon or the Maui. Input is greatly appreciated. Plus this will be my big A race for the 09 season.

N~
Quote Reply
Re: racing on the islands [kitkat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hmmmm....never heard about it. There used to be a marathon there a while ago, but it fizzled out. Wouldn't suprise me. I LOVE Kauai and am heading back there in a few weeks for a mini vacation.

The maui marathon (and the one in Kauai probably) has very little crowd/cheering support. Just the nature of doing a race on a not very densly populated island. I've done the Maui 1/2 a few times and it's fun. I hope to do the Maui Marathon sometime too.

Is the Kauai marathon in September too? If you ask me that's not very smart on the part of the organizers. There is so much going on race wise in the islands in September already, especially with the Maui Marathon. I'd guess it won't last that long or they have to change the month if it is in September.
Quote Reply
Re: racing on the islands [PirateGirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yep, the one in Kauai is in Sept, bout a week or two before Maui. It is an inaugural race, so I'm not sure what will happen. Another thing with the race in Kauai, it is pricey. It is probably the most expensive marathon so far that I have checked into, so that has me sitting on the fence.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DO IT. No one ever regrets a trip to Kauai. You will love it. I lived there as a kid, and then again in 2002-2003 and just love it. It makes the rest of the islands look ugly.

And thank you -- I had no idea and now I want to do it too. Maybe I'll see you there!

Rachel
Quote Reply
Re: racing on the islands [runlikeamother] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A marathon in September? I don't think that goes along well with Kona plans :P

Quote | Reply
The only Kona plan I have for next year is that there is no Kona. Four years straight without a rest is too many for me!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
And thank you -- I had no idea and now I want to do it too. Maybe I'll see you there!

Yeah, I was thinking the exact same thing. I think Maui marathon can wait another year, I'd love to do a marathon on Kauai.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rach, after reading your blog...I would be eating your dust at Kauai. But then again, if I get my butt into high running gear and get some ridiculous weekly mileage going....hmmmm one never knows. Ok, you guys have basically talked me into hitting the islands for a vaca at the end of next yr. Time to start saving my pennies. Oh, and I hope to stay healthy since I will probably purchase an entry to this marathon before the end of this yr when the prices really climb.

N~
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yea! Come on out. Point me in the direction of the race info?

I used to commute everyday from Kapaa to Hanalei - 26 miles. At the time I didn't think a marathon was something I could do.. but now, I would love to do it!! See you there..

Rach
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ok, Rach just for you and anyone else that wants to do this race. Tho, not too many of you gals sign up, cuz there is a cap...DOH!

http://thekauaimarathon.com/site9.aspx
Quote Reply