Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Strength/Core Training
Quote | Reply
OK girls--time to share your favorite strength/core training routines. I was doing some but had some injuries that made anything except crunches pretty hard. Everything seems to be fixed and humpty dumpty put together again so I'm looking to add some back in.

So, what do you like? If possible, what is the most "bang for the buck"...that doesn't take forever...like a good 15-20 min routine?

Disclaimer--I HATE HATE strength and core training. Hate it. It's the most boring thing EVER for me. But, it does work and I notice the difference when I do it vs. when I don't.

Just looking for ideas to keep things fresh, etc. :)
Quote Reply
Re: Strength/Core Training [Nemostrin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My strength routine takes over an hour right now, but that's because I LOVE strength training. I don't know what it is, but I really enjoy it. So, I won't tell you my routine because it'll be much more than you would want to do (and damn it, I charge people for this stuff lol), but my one tip for you is this: super sets! Cuts down on the amount of time you spend strength training and adds a little bang for your buck.

Quote | Reply
Take a look at the book called Core Performance by Mark Verstegen. Good stuff.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I like incorporating the Bosu ball into my routine for core work. This seems like a good website to get some info:
http://www.trainwithmeonline.com/bosu_exercises.html
Quote Reply
Re: Strength/Core Training [Tri MAC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I recently purchased a dvd, 'endurance core'. I'm hoping to work up to the more advanced routines on the stability ball, they look like they're more fun.

Otherwise, I took a class at our local gym that used a weighted ball that you did all these goofy moves with. I sweated up a storm, the pace of the class kept me moving and not bored, and it was 30 mins. I always felt it later in my core and arms.

One example of something we did - a lunge with moving the ball in kind of a fluid figure 8 sign (like infinity turned on its side, not like a snowman). You did both moves at once.

Then there was another where you twisted with the ball side to side, when you were facing right it was like you were in a lunge, then back to the left like you were in another lunge.

Anyway, it's one of my goals too to incoporate strength training this winter as well as core exercises.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just started doing Pilates on the reformer at our local studio. It's amazing for both core and strength training, but the class is about 55 minutes long. I also don't like lifting ~ sooooo dull.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
All I really do is dolphin kick in the water - I have a nice, flat tummy.

On occasion: crunches on a ball. But dolphin kick on your back, your hip, your tummy, vertical - is the only ab workout you could ever need IMO...

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It sounds silly but whenever I need to go back and work on ABS I always start with 8 MINUTE ABS. I know its cheesy but mentally eight minutes a day works for me, there is no extra equipment and I can add a weight to toughen it up.
After that I start adding new moves -- planks and things like that -- but to get back into it 8 MINUTE ABS always works.

O and last time I wanted a copy (since I don't have VHS anymore) I downloaded it from Bearshare!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sooo after going through all this injury stuff and heading to Boulder Sports Center- I really believe that doing just 5-10 min of core a day is all you need to do. I think the hard core ab workout is really over kill for what our purposes are. I had done those for so long only to learn that my more subabs (not sure what the correct term is but the ones more inside and lower) were weak even though I could do a billion crunches. So here is what I do...I start by sitting on a ball engaging my lower core then lift a foot with the other foot on tip toe- to make it harder I raise the alternate hand. I do 3 sets of 10 just to get that lower core engaged. Then I kneel on a ball and balance without touching anything (have a bed or wall there to spot you) and do this for 1-1-2 min. After that I do either a wobble board, bosu or planks. Throughout the day I focus on keeping that lower core tight. I think for core in running, biking and swimming these balance core exercises mimic our workouts more and generalize more. I think you can add harder core but honestly I think a little each day works better than 30 min twice a day.

My upper strength training is really simple right now and was given to me by a coach I had before my injury..I'm not totally sold on it but I love how quick it is....2 sets 15-20 bicep curls with only 10 sec rest -2 sets deltoid raises 15reps 10 sec rest, 2 sets tricep kickback 10 sec rest, and 2 sets 15 reps pressups with 10 sec rest. It does not include an upper back which I am still looking for a good one. Its not perfect but its easy to do three times a week.
Hope that helps!

COtrimom

Quote Reply
Re: Strength/Core Training [COTrimom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wow, I don't think I could balance on my knees on a ball for 1-2 min! Maybe 1-2 seconds!

as to what the specific muscles are - IIRC - recuts abdominus, obliques, transverse abs. The latter are the "subabs" of which you speak.

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Re: Strength/Core Training [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You definetly need to start off holding on to a wall or side of a bed/chair but after about 2 weeks it was easier. I guess the next step would be to kneel on a ball and have someone throw a ball and you catch it.

Thanks for the clarification on the lower abs. She did this cool ultrasound on me and we learned that I would use all of my upper core and bigger core muscles to lift a leg or crunch instead of the lower abs that wrapped around the the SI joint. So I had to start retraining myself to engage that part every day. Its pretty cool. Definetly don't have a six pack but it has helped firm it up.

COtrimom

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll definitely try the ball thing. We are talking about one of those big fitball things, right? I am impressed if you can kneel on one of those!

I've had some diagnostic ultrasounds for injuries - always fun to tell my mom at night "I had an ultrasound today and it's a boy!!!" hee hee.

Quote Reply
Re: Strength/Core Training [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yup it one of the big balls. Try kneeling holding on to something for sure so you don't give yourself a concussion!!! Let me know how it works- it will get easier!

COtrimom

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think I developed really good balance from my ballet days, but I actually fine kneeling on the ball easy. I used to do it all day when I worked at the gym - something random to do when I was bored. I could never really feel it in my core either... was I doing something wrong cuz I know my core is weak!

Quote | Reply
Now I preface this by saying I am not a PT nor do I play one on TV but I think sometimes we forget that your core is down lower and not upper. So you should feel it below your belly button- it won't burn but it will feel tight it totally help strengthen those muscles that can often lead to back pain.

COtrimom

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I coach a high school rowing team and core strength is very important for rowing, so here is what i do with them. I also use these for my own core routine, and the emphasis is getting a lot accomplished in a short amount of time, so they can get out on the water, and I can get out on my bike!

1. Plank - keeping the back straight, toes on the ground and elbows on the ground. This should be held for at least a minute, and gets your abs, obliques and lower back.

2. Sit-jacks - start on your back. raise your upper body off the floor, and raise straight legs off the floor. As you raise up your upper body, bend your knees as well so at the end they are close to your body. slowly lower your legs straight again while you lower your upper body, keeping your legs off the floor.

3. (this one is at the gym if you have access) hanging leg raises. Go on that stand where you rest on arm rests and lift your legs straight up in front of you. This one is very good and i find it doesn't strain my back as much as leg raises lying down does.

4. Sit ups on an incline bench with weight

5. Medicine ball knee-tucks - start in a push-up position with your shins on the medicine ball, then draw your knees into your body, so the ball rolls towards you.

If you move quickly with little rest in between each of these, it takes less than 10 mins. I also do exercises to work my lower back and hips, for a more comprehensive core workout. That is more because I need to due to nagging hip flexor problems.

"What am I on? I'm on my bike busting my ass for six hours a day. What are YOU on?" - Lance Armstrong
Quote Reply
Re: Strength/Core Training [flyer521] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cool! Thx!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can show you some stuff:) Maybe if we meet at the gym and do it together it wont be so miseerable.
Quote Reply
Re: Strength/Core Training [flyer521] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I coach a high school rowing team and core strength is very important for rowing, so here is what i do with them. I also use these for my own core routine, and the emphasis is getting a lot accomplished in a short amount of time, so they can get out on the water, and I can get out on my bike!

1. Plank - keeping the back straight, toes on the ground and elbows on the ground. This should be held for at least a minute, and gets your abs, obliques and lower back.

2. Sit-jacks - start on your back. raise your upper body off the floor, and raise straight legs off the floor. As you raise up your upper body, bend your knees as well so at the end they are close to your body. slowly lower your legs straight again while you lower your upper body, keeping your legs off the floor.

3. (this one is at the gym if you have access) hanging leg raises. Go on that stand where you rest on arm rests and lift your legs straight up in front of you. This one is very good and i find it doesn't strain my back as much as leg raises lying down does.

4. Sit ups on an incline bench with weight

5. Medicine ball knee-tucks - start in a push-up position with your shins on the medicine ball, then draw your knees into your body, so the ball rolls towards you.

If you move quickly with little rest in between each of these, it takes less than 10 mins. I also do exercises to work my lower back and hips, for a more comprehensive core workout. That is more because I need to due to nagging hip flexor problems.
Flyer- I like this routine! How many reps/sets do you do? Thanks

Come crawling faster
Quote Reply
Re: Strength/Core Training [LovePugs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My newest: learned in yoga:

lay on your back. Pull your knees up to your chest.
Extend your arms over and behind your head, streamline style.
Contract your abs to raise your arms over so they come up and to one side of your legs. Either hold and breathe - or do sets of "crunches."

We did this a couple weeks ago and it was so peaceful... I love that yoga class.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi - chronic lurker here

I found the P90x ab ripper workout to be the most intense core workout i've ever done - and I was a D1 college athlete with a crazy strength & conditioning coach. It has lots of weird exercises that are nothing like "typical" core exercises...eg no crunches. It's definitely worth a try, if you know where to get a copy of the DVD. I was sweating buckets and sore for 2 days after the first time i did it!
Quote Reply
Re: Strength/Core Training [DawnT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I like Core Performance Training as well. This is a phenomenal way to incorporate strength into you training regimen.
Last edited by: FitnessForever: Nov 14, 08 9:48
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here's my take as a PT (both physical therapist and personal trainer):

Consider the role of your trunk. It's main purpose is stability. Motions such as v-sits where you're bringing your shoulders and legs off the ground at the same time, L-overs, where your're on your back with hips and knees at 90 and dropping them down side to side, etc. that are introducing motion into your low-back are no good! The role of your core is to provide stability to allow your hips and upper body (shoulders) mobility.

Great exercises are ones where you're keeping your core still and moving your hips, or simply doing core isometrics. The draw-in maneuver is fantastic as it directly contracts the lower abs (your actual core, forget this six pack crap is it's all genetic and diet based). Simply lay on your back with knees bent and feet on the floor and bring your belly-button down to your spine. You can toughen it by raising opposite arm/leg together just barely off the floor. Also, kick backs/bird-dogs where you're on all fours and raising your arm while kicking your opposite leg either behind you or to the side are fantastic. Lastly, planks are another great one. Again, the role of the core is STABILITY!!

(I'll be happy to make an appointment for you when you blow a disc from doing some complex core move :)
Quote Reply