Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Womens, get out and vote
Quote | Reply
I had a good friend send me a note about the fight for women's right to vote. I found a couple great histories of the struggle online and suggest you read. Regardless of who you vote for, exercise your right which was granted less than 100 years ago.

The articles are too long to put into a post here so here are a few teasers.
The History of Women's Suffrage
http://www.history.com/...r=1&mini_id=1286

In the early nineteenth century, women were considered second-class citizens whose existence was limited to the interior life of the home and care of the children. Women were considered sub-sets of their husbands, and after marriage they did not have the right to own property, maintain their wages, or sign a contract, much less vote. It was expected that women be obedient wives, never to hold a thought or opinion independent of their husbands. It was considered improper for women to travel alone or to speak in public.

With the belief that intense physical or intellectual activity would be injurious to the delicate female biology and reproductive system, women were taught to refrain from pursuing any serious education. Silently perched in their birdcages, women were considered merely objects of beauty, and were looked upon as intellectually and physically inferior to men. This belief in women's inferiority to men was further reinforced by organized religion which preached strict and well-defined sex roles

[/url]National Woman's Party, Picketing and Prison

http://www.alicepaul.org/alicepaul.htm

Page 3:
The arrested suffragists were sent to Occoquan Workhouse, a prison in Virginia. [Alice] Paul and her compatriots followed the English suffragette model and demanded to be treated as political prisoners and staged hunger strikes. Their demands were met with brutality as suffragists, including frail, older women, were beaten, pushed and thrown into cold, unsanitary, and rat-infested cells. Arrests continued and conditions at the prison deteriorated. For staging hunger strikes, Paul and several other suffragists were forcibly fed in a tortuous method. Prison officials removed Paul to a sanitarium in hopes of getting her declared insane. When news of the prison conditions and hunger strikes became known, the press, some politicians, and the public began demanding the women’s release; sympathy for the prisoners brought many to support the cause of women's suffrage. Upon her release from prison, Paul hoped to ride this surge of goodwill into victory.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Re: Womens, get out and vote [jenhs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Voting is a privilege we shouldn't take for granted. If you haven't registered to vote you still can in many states.
If you have never voted, this is the time you should.
Quote Reply
Re: Womens, get out and vote [fitzie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for responding. I was getting sad that no one had shown an interest.

Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry, not much interest from me. You bastards won't let me vote!

Quote | Reply
1916: Canadian women in Alberta, Manitoba and Saskatchewan get the vote. (more)
1918: Canada gives women the vote in most provinces by federal law. Quebec is not included. (more)
1920: Canadian women get the right to stand for election (but not for all offices - see 1929 below). (more)
1929: Women found to be "persons" in Canada and therefore able to become members of the Senate.

You all were pretty much where we were on the timeline. If I remember correctly you have an election coming up, right?

For a full timeline internationally:
http://womenshistory.about.com/.../a/intl_timeline.htm

Jen

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm voting on Monday, but official voting day is the 14th - I'll still be in Kona so I'm riding the early voting dates. My vote doesn't count for much since I'm voting Green, but whatevs.

Quote | Reply
Yes, but it is exercising that right that's important.

Glad to hear you will be doing it.

Jen

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I always vote for provincial and federal. I skip the municipal because all of our mayoral candidates are old and boring, and they all the do the same thing (nothing) once they are mayor. Frankly, I can't figure out what our mayor is for other than "running" the city meetings. We're a small city. Other than road work, not much goes on around these parts hah.

Quote | Reply
I plan to. made sure my husband re-registered since he had not updated his info after we moved and he could not vote in primary.
we will both be at the poll ready to support our candidate.
most of my family is republican so we mostly just all cancel out each others vote.......
jana

http://www.triontherunfitness.com
http://www.triontherun.com
http://www.ontheruntx.com
Quote Reply
Re: Womens, get out and vote [jana] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You go girl!

Jen

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for responding. I was getting sad that no one had shown an interest.

Lack of interest is why many people don't vote. Every election I shake my head at the lack of interest. Also, people think their vote doesn't count. And while 2000 was a weird anomaly, their votes do count.
Only 54 percent of eligible voters cast their ballots during the last four decades of presidential elections. In Congressional elections, I think it is more like 30%.
I recently saw a T-Shirt that said, "Democracy is not a spectator sport".

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree 100%. In some countries women still aren't allowed to vote. So every woman should exercise her right and get out and vote. Just be sure to vote for the same candidates that I would.:-) Although, in your case jenhs, I know we're of a like mind.:-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thank you for this post. As a female Navy reservist, recently notified I'll be mobilized to Iraq, I've been asked by my friends and family what they can do to support me. My only answer is "VOTE". Thanks again.
Quote Reply
Re: Womens, get out and vote [cuds] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I too am voting green. Funny thing is I think the over/under on the greens this election is around 10%. I would not be surprised to see 12% nationally. I hope that some day the greens replace the NDP as the reigning third party.

===============
Proud member of the MSF (Maple Syrup Mafia)
Quote Reply
Re: Womens, get out and vote [CaptainCanada] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have unfortunate news. I completely forgot to go vote yesterday :(

Quote | Reply
Silly person...

Jen

Quote Reply